Old 04-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Windows reprogrammed. Thanks again

-d

Old 04-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Charging Points Under Hood (Under Bonnet):

There is an identical looking terminal with a tethered protective cap on the right side of the car (under the plastic cover near the windshield if memory serves me correctly). Is it a twin to the charging point on the left side and if it's not - what's it used for?
RB

Old 04-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
I wish Jaguar had added one item to their instructions above. Before removing the jumper cables, it's best to shut off the car that was jumped (the other car should have been turned off through the whole operation). If the jumped car can't then be restarted without the jumper car connected, then of course you have to abandon this, but it's best to disconnect jumpers with both cars turned off if possible.
Why does the other car needs to be off? If it has a good working voltage regulator on the alternator how it will harm the electronics to have it running?

I found this description odd since every time I have jump started a car I've had the good car turned on.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by East Haddam
There is an identical looking terminal with a tethered protective cap on the right side of the car (under the plastic cover near the windshield if memory serves me correctly). Is it a twin to the charging point on the left side and if it's not - what's it used for?
RB
The right side terminal connects directly to the Starter and also connects to the Battery through 2 250 amp fuses in parallel.

It could also be used to charge the Battery, but is not as easily accessed as the terminals shown on the pic.

The terminals on the pic connect to the Driver and Passenger Fuse Boxes and to the Battery through a single 250 amp fuse.

The following users liked this post:
East Haddam (04-21-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn2
Why does the other car needs to be off? If it has a good working voltage regulator on the alternator how it will harm the electronics to have it running?

I found this description odd since every time I have jump started a car I've had the good car turned on.
The part about the booster car being turned off during the jump comes from the Jaguar proceduure itself (post #3 above). I do think this is best practice, since otherwise when the jumped car starts we have two charging systems "talking to each other".

What I wish had been added is to have both cars turned off before removing jumpers. Those sparks we sometimes see when doing this are indicative of big voltage spikes.

We could ignore all this stuff and get away with it 99 times out of 100. But I think it's worth taking every possible precaution, as that 1% can get seriously expensive with our cars.

Last edited by Dennis07; 04-20-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opening the XKR trunk

Originally Posted by GGG
Ask anyone who has a flat battery and a seized luggage compartment lock which can't be opened with the key!

You can apply enough juice to pop the luggage compartment lid from the dash button and get to the battery.

Graham
The trunk can be opened when dead. There is an unseen keyhole that many overlook or actually never see at all. On the trunk or boot door there is a XKR emblem. Looking at a glance it doesn't seem to be anything more than an emblem sitting the model but look closely. There is a hole in between the letters and/or numbers. Slide your key in and turn to pop the not open. Not sure if this applies to your year but it's a little secret. There are so many secrets hiding in these cars. It's pretty awesome. Anyone found their Jaguar pen in pen yet. You will....oh, you will.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:44 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Brannon Richards
The trunk can be opened when dead. ......
Welcome to the forums Brannon,

Many secrets have been revealed on the forums in the seven years since this thread was written.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 02-21-2021, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Sparks! The last connection you make will tend to spark both when making and breaking the connection. Sparks + hydrogen (from charging battery) = excitement!
......”
It is very easy to avoid ALL sparks when attaching a battery charger.

Simply plug in your battery charger AFTER you have the charging leads in place.
No power to charger leads = no spark

Years ago an old power company lineman told me the secret of safely working around high (or any) voltage, “.......just make your plug into the power source your very LAST connection.....”

That keeps your exposure to voltage at the bare minimum.

Z

Last edited by zray; 02-21-2021 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
michaelh (02-21-2021)