XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing behind a motorhome?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 08:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Towing behind a motorhome?

Now that I've turned 60 I'm starting to make plans for retirement soon, 2 years or maybe a bit less, and thinking about what we want to do. More traveling for sure! But we don't want to leave Kat behind. Besides, if we do have a motorhome instead of the 5th wheel trailer we have now we would need a car to get around with when we stop for a while. The Jag would make a wonderful toad!

So has anyone towed their Jag behind an RV? I'm guessing I would have to load it on a trailer.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 462 Likes on 333 Posts

No personal experience of towing an XK8, but I did see this once in the local car park:-

Made a nice change from the Smart Cars and scooters most people have behind their motorhomes.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by dibbit
No personal experience of towing an XK8, but I did see this once in the local car park .......
On a different day you could have seen this in the same carpark in Nerja:

Towing behind a motorhome?-dsc_0936.jpg

I'm pleased I wasn't stuck behind that combination on the way down from England!

Graham

Old 05-18-2017, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 462 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
On a different day you could have seen this in the same carpark in Nerja:

Attachment 147193

I'm pleased I wasn't stuck behind that combination on the way down from England!

Graham
The funny thing is, XK8s are quite rare around here - in fact there is an E-type that parks in that car park more often than you see an XK.

Shame I didn't spot yours, as I normally walk the dog through there (mind you probably a good thing, as he has a thing for peeing on alloy wheels).

Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
No personal experience of towing an XK8, but I did see this once in the local car park:-

Yes, that is what I have in mind although I don't know if it would be a Class A or a Class C. And, as much as I want it, I doubt I can afford a Class A diesel pusher.

Our current rig is our Ford F350 diesel dually pulling a 37-foot 5th wheel trailer. I'll see if I can post a picture from my phone.

Made a nice change from the Smart Cars and scooters most people have behind their motorhomes.
You wouldn't catch me dead with a Smart Car! My brother just bought a Class C and will be flat towing (no trailer) his Jeep behind it.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by WAFlowers
Yes, that is what I have in mind although I don't know if it would be a Class A or a Class C. And, as much as I want it, I doubt I can afford a Class A diesel pusher.

Our current rig is our Ford F350 diesel dually pulling a 37-foot 5th wheel trailer. I'll see if I can post a picture from my phone.

You wouldn't catch me dead with a Smart Car! My brother just bought a Class C and will be flat towing (no trailer) his Jeep behind it.
Sure you can.
I bought and own a 1998 Damon diesel pusher with a Cat275 engine, Allison Transmission and a Freightliner Chassis. Thing had 50,000 miles on it when I bought it and I have already gone coast to coast in the USA once. Runs like a champ.

Bought it for under 20k
Who can't afford that?
Pulls trailers like they aren't even there and the economy of running diesel on these rigs is unmatched with gas vehicles. I bet I get way better mileage from my A class diesel than a C class gas ever would!

Old 05-18-2017, 01:05 PM

This is the rig we have now:

Old 05-18-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by razorboy
Sure you can.
I bought and own a 1998 Damon diesel pusher with a Cat275 engine, Allison Transmission and a Freightliner Chassis. Thing had 50,000 miles on it when I bought it and I have already gone coast to coast in the USA once. Runs like a champ.

Bought it for under 20k
Who can't afford that?
Wow! Sweet deal. Hmm ... For some reason I was convinced that I could never find a deal on a diesel RV like I was able to find on my XKR.

Logically with all the aging baby boomers there should soon be a lot of beautiful used RVs on the market.

Pulls trailers like they aren't even there and the economy of running diesel on these rigs is unmatched with gas vehicles. I bet I get way better mileage from my A class diesel than a C class gas ever would!
And that's the advantage of diesel. With the mods I've done our F350 pulls that trailer like, well, probably like your diesel pusher.

Last edited by WAFlowers; 05-18-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow! Sweet deal. Hmm ... For some reason I was convinced that I could never find a deal on a diesel RV like I was able to find on my XKR.

Logically with all the aging baby boomers there should soon be a lot of beautiful used RVs on the market.

And that's the advantage of diesel. With the mods I've done our F350 pulls that trailer like, well, probably like your diesel pusher.
Yeah so far it has worked out nicely.
You'll want to buy one after spring and towards end of summer when everyone is getting ready to unload or upgrade. Mine needed a bunch of work but nothing major mechanical. It just was owned by a couple that never felt the need to fix anything. So little by little it came back to life and I would say that now it is 95% of what it should be. Just a couple of weeks ago, I scored 3 x 15,000 BTU AC units with all the extras for under 1000.00. That's a lot of AC for a RV

Now mine looks dated color wise being built in the late 90's but I my plan is to have it vinyl wrapped with a new design once I feel I have gotten through all the things I want to upgrade or change. That should pop it right back into the 2000's as far as looks go and replacing things like lights with LED versions makes a huge difference on how it looks.

I have a race trailer that I tow with it as my son races motorcycles. Fully loaded I am towing every bit of 5000lbs and it is nothing to this rig. I constantly have to run the backup camera to make sure there is still a trailer behind me and that's no joke. The trailer is more narrow than the rig and I can't even see it while I am driving. My plan is to put tire pressure sensors in all of the trailer wheels and remote monitor from the cab of the RV. That way I will know if I am getting ready to lose a tire.

Not sure but I bet you would find the best rigs on the West coast. Like cars, it's really dry out here and there are tons of RV's for sale all the time. Here is a picture of the rig on a rare outing to actual use it for camping instead of racing.

Attached Thumbnails Towing behind a motorhome?-rv.jpg  
Old 05-18-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by razorboy
Yeah so far it has worked out nicely.
You'll want to buy one after spring and towards end of summer when everyone is getting ready to unload or upgrade.
Here in Florida the RV season is reversed with people unloading them in April/May after the winter season.

A quick Craigslist search found some nice ones from 2003/2004 for $30-45K like this Winnebago: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/rvd/6133525456.html

Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 AM
Received 54 Likes on 28 Posts

This is the rig we have now:

wow

Old 05-19-2017, 05:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

This is the rig we have now: .....
I though that was BIG until I looked at this one:

.....A quick Craigslist search found some nice ones from 2003/2004 for $30-45K like this Winnebago: https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/rvd/6133525456.html
Pleased we don't come across either of them on English roads!

Graham

Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
I though that was BIG until I looked at this one:

Pleased we don't come across either of them on English roads!

Graham
The difference between guys driving motorhomes/hauling trailers in England and guys hauling trailers in the US is about 30mph. Diesel is only $2/gallon around here, and nobody seems too afraid to use it.

I'll be driving along at 70mph and Class A Motorhome or 36 foot trailer towed by a pickup with 400HP/800lbft of torque will pass me like I'm standing still.

When AI Robots replace all of our current truck drivers and they all retire and buy motorhomes, avererage motorhome speeds will probably go up even higher.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ungn
The difference between guys driving motorhomes/hauling trailers in England and guys hauling trailers in the US is about 30mph. Diesel is only $2/gallon around here, and nobody seems too afraid to use it.

I'll be driving along at 70mph and Class A Motorhome or 36 foot trailer towed by a pickup with 400HP/800lbft of torque will pass me like I'm standing still.
Quite true. Before I did some work on the F350 I had trouble keeping up with the flow of traffic when towing up long mountain grades. When possible I would get off the Interstate and take secondary highways so I wouldn't block traffic.

Now with the work I've done I expect I could easily maintain 65mph and maybe more without effort or overheating!

When AI Robots replace all of our current truck drivers and they all retire and buy motorhomes, avererage motorhome speeds will probably go up even higher.
LOL