XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission filter & code-throwing odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Transmission filter & code-throwing odyssey

It started as a simple trip to a "reputable" tranny shop for a 5HP24 filter swap and top-off. I'd been to this shop a few years earlier, with very favorable results on a different car. They have a great reputation around town and stand behind their work. So a filter swap on an XK8 is easy enough; he's done a bunch before, on Jags and BMWs alike (same tranny for some BMWs).

They swapped out the filter and topped it off in about an hour. Dropped the car, I drove off and noticed some noises I didn't hear before. Immediately go back, have tech ride in car, he hears noises too, figures not enough fluid. Genius Jr. Tech tears just-installed pan gasket and it's later in the day with no way to get a new one installed. His Sr. Tech boss was upset he removed the pan again, since all it needed was some more fluid, but there we were. He made a small repair with some RTV like substance, enough to get me home and back again the next morning for a replacement gasket. Drove home - same noises and a sloppy shift here and there.

Drove back in next day, got new gasket installed, handed off to Jr. Tech a copy of the TSB from Jaguar as to how to *properly* top off fluid. He reads it and says no problem, puts car on lift and proceeds to do it the wrong way (I watched). At this point I'm about as frustrated as Einstein would be trying to teach math to cave men and wanted nothing more to do with this shop.

Drove car home, missing a shift or two along the way, and next day broke out friends tools and carefully followed TSB and ZF instructions as to how to add fluid (note: I was not relying on jack to support weight of car, as it might appear in the picture - only had it there as a back up in case jack stand(s) fell over). Tranny must be at just the right temp, not too hot or cold, so must use an IR temp tool as in picture. Bought one for the occasion and it worked great. Must also follow instructions to cycle through gears during fill process. Jr. Tech did neither of these things. I proceeded to add three more quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic fluid (FYI, it's the same company as Esso/Exxon, same specs (LT71141), so why does Jag charge 80 bucks a quart for their Esso-supplied version-?) Dropped car off jack stands and took her for a spin. Shifted properly, but still made some noise. Noise is not good in transmissions, I know. Guarded optimism till following day.

Half way to work today at about 45MPH slowing down from 55ish, the car lurched once, shook a bit and flashed "Restricted Performance" on the display, and the check engine light came on. Worst case scenarios replayed in my head. Immediately, I skipped out from work (had some vacation time saved) took her to AAMCO since they do a freebie diagnostic and if a new tranny is required, wanted to get a written estimate. The tech took it for a spin and noticed no problems, only faint noise if at all, and nothing that would warrant a new tranny. Before I could say 'WTF' in my head, he mentioned that it was pulling some codes:

P0306 (number six cylinder misfire)
P1314 (catalytic converter (problem?))
P111 (O2 sensor)

All these seemed to be fuel system related, not tranny. Got no answers on tranny but AAMCO was convinced there was nothing wrong with it. Got in car to drive home and it made nearly no noise and had no trouble shifting at all. Used sport mode, hard acceleration, deceleration, etc. There really seems to be no problems now, only a veeeery faint gear noise, infrequently, when shifting. It is much softer and less frequent than before; maybe fluid is settling/distributing itself?

I know this could spell trouble down the road and realize I'm not out of the woods yet on this. I would've done the damn filter swap myself but had no lift, yet I would up improvising with four jack stands anyway. Really should not have to come to the customer back-testing the so called experts who can't or won't follow the proper procedure even when spoon-fed to them. Either they should learn it or just say they don't know how to do the job and send me packing.

Anyway, the shuddering shift on the way to work freaked me out, the codes and check engine light had me worried, but just as I started to formulate a plan, the check engine light went out. Shut off car and restarted several times, and light is MIA. Everything is back to normal.

Eh? Now I'm really confused.....

And in case you're wondering, I do not live near the Bermuda triangle.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Transmission filter & code-throwing odyssey-img_20100912_171428.jpg   Transmission filter & code-throwing odyssey-img_20100912_171804.jpg  

Last edited by BurgXK8; 09-13-2010 at 09:09 PM.