XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Re-builders

Old 04-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission Re-builders

Howdy Folks!!...
Just a quickie... Anybody in the NW or SW know of a good Tranny shop for a rebuild??. I'm contemplating a rebuild for my 98 XK8 in a few months, and I'm having a hard time narrowing a shop down online.

Thank you in advance
Fast Freddie

Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

WOW!

Now you have transmission problems?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry I can't help, but the shop that did mine reinforced the snap ring or whatever it's called... the part that likes to snap out and cause problems. So I'd give that a mention to whoever is rebuilding it for you.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you Fellas for your reply.... even though it got me no closer to my dilemma... Test Point... she has periodically had this little stuttering sounding problem when in normal (non-S) setting as she shifts up from (I think) from 3rd to 4th. It sounds as if she's kicking in and out of gear ( or mebbe it's overdrive), so I usually keep her on Sport mode. There is also a slight whine going from 2nd to 3rd. It only does it right before it shifts with no slippage or engine rev. And, it does it only (stuttering sound) under normal load. Never under aggressive (not WOT either) throttle. I had entertained the idea of selling her, however, if I bought another pre-2003, I'd have to do the same (well, some if it) engine work I did on this one. So why not replace the fog lights and change out the front leather seat covers and just keep it. I only owe about 2 g's on it, If I spend $3500 clams at my current Jag techie's and overhaul the tranny, I'd have a pretty nice car to style around in on nice days. I only drive around 2 grand in mileage a year. At least I know what she has in it.... I'm only checking for another tech to compare prices.
Thanks again Fellas
Fast Freddie

Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What's the total mileage on that transmission?

Mine went out at 118,000 mi. It had an transmission error code on the dash. Otherwise, how would you know whether is bad or just low on fluid?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Have you tried just having the fluid and filter changed?

Old 10-12-2015, 02:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile tranny rebuilds in the pacific northwest

I just had my tranny totally redone by Dana's Transmission in Everett, Washington. The shop has been in business almost 50 years and is now owned by Tom. When it turned out there was more damage than originally estimated Tom stuck to the original estimate. Other shops would have kept the total running. He is now a full service shop as well. He saved me over 1400.00 by sticking to his original estimate. I won't let anyone else touch my xk8.
He is located on Evergreen way.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:04 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

I was going to mention Dana's transmission as well. Great place for tranny work.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Why don't you do it yourself. The hardest part is getting it out. Just find a metal garbage can. Install a couple pieces of L channel, to keep the trans straight up and down. It's a little difficult to pop out the pump, but everything else comes out pretty easy. There are no special tools, except a lip seal tool(about $5). Some folks use a screw driver for installing seals, but I only like to do a job once. The big thing on assembly is to keep the plates and fibers in the correct order, and lined up so you don't have any trouble on setting the tree back in. Don't forget to use all the updated drums and parts, that you can get your hands on also. Mechanical stuff looks daunting, but just figure that a guy who was disowned by his family for not wanting to go to med school, and decided to play with cars can do it.....ANYONE can do it....Another point to consider is that the guys who would be building your trans probably barely made it out of high school, and can still do it....be cool....Mike

Old 10-12-2015, 08:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default tranny rebuilds in the pacific northwest

Unfortunately by no fault of Dana's my new rebuilt valve body doesnt seem to like the tcm very much, was flaring a bit between 3rd and 4th gear now its between 2nd and 3rd as well. they ordered a new valve body that hopefully comes in today. Quick question, after a tranny rebuild should the TCM be re-flashed?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Hadn't thought of the trash can as a way to hold it up for (dis)assembly, that's a great idea.

Originally Posted by mrplow58
Why don't you do it yourself. The hardest part is getting it out. Just find a metal garbage can. Install a couple pieces of L channel, to keep the trans straight up and down. It's a little difficult to pop out the pump, but everything else comes out pretty easy. There are no special tools, except a lip seal tool(about $5). Some folks use a screw driver for installing seals, but I only like to do a job once. The big thing on assembly is to keep the plates and fibers in the correct order, and lined up so you don't have any trouble on setting the tree back in. Don't forget to use all the updated drums and parts, that you can get your hands on also. Mechanical stuff looks daunting, but just figure that a guy who was disowned by his family for not wanting to go to med school, and decided to play with cars can do it.....ANYONE can do it....Another point to consider is that the guys who would be building your trans probably barely made it out of high school, and can still do it....be cool....Mike