XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried to reset keyfob locked myself out!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tried to reset keyfob locked myself out!!!!!

I tried reprogramming the key fob per various instructions on here and it didn't work after about 30 minutes of trying. I left the car frustrated and left the keys in the ignition. Can a locksmith help?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Locksmith got my keys in 2 minutes!!! Used a business card, balloon and glorified metal hanger.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

So, did the car lock itself with the keys inside?

Glad to hear that you got it sorted, but it is scary to see just how easy it is to get in isn't it.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Yes sir! I heard that was impossible. I'm pretty sure it was because I reset the lock (pushing the interior handle) before I got outside the car. Also the SLM isn't programmed so I suppose those two together made me the first person to get locked out a XKR.

It was pretty mind-blowing how easy (an old dishoveled man) could get into my car. I guess in a normal situation the alarm would sound, but if you have anything on your seat it would be gone in seconds.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you got in! So you didn't have luck using the highbeam stalk method? I followed the instructions here in post #2 and it worked for my '04 XKR. I did find that I needed to vary the speed at which I flashed the lights before it would go into program mode- not too fast and not too slow. A little more than once per second. If your fob batteries are fresh you should be good to go. (Note- I use two models of fob which work equally well for me: LJE2610-AB and XR83-15K601-AA)

PS- that post I linked above isn't entirely correct. Once you hear the beep in program mode, you just need to hit any one of the four buttons once, then move on to the next remote. After your last fob, just wait until the car times out at 30 seconds and beeps- programming is complete.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks Crispy; I tried it this morning and I get all the beeps but nothing changes. My fob just turns the lights on and off now.

I only have one fob after I hear the beep, are you saying just press lock/unlock once, hear the beep, wait untill the last beep (30 seconds), shut the car off, and go outside to test?

I just noticed my check engine light was on.....is this related?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brucebaner1
Thanks Crispy; I tried it this morning and I get all the beeps but nothing changes. My fob just turns the lights on and off now.

I only have one fob after I hear the beep, are you saying just press lock/unlock once, hear the beep, wait untill the last beep (30 seconds), shut the car off, and go outside to test?

I just noticed my check engine light was on.....is this related?
Let's start this answer by saying I'm just another Jag owner retelling my personal experience- so if someone with REAL experience on this list calls bullcrap on any advice here, I immediately defer to them!

I just reread your subject on the other post- did you replace your SLM in the trunk? If yes, that explains the error. Read this post. Sounds like you need to go to the dealer to reprogram the SLM to the car, and they will do the fob at the same time. The SLM needs to be setup to your Body Processor Module, which also controls the door modules. Now I'm just talking out of my donkey-hole here, but it sounds logical that your fob would pair with a new SLM (as evidenced by your lights going on when you hit the fob button), but not communicate properly through the BPM to actually open the doors until it's reprogrammed to the car.

Since the BPM sits between the SLM and the Key Transponder Module, I'd bring all my keys and fob to the dealer- if the programming needs to wipe the key info on the KTM, they'll need ALL of your keys to reprogram. Not 100% sure about that, but better to be safe than waste a trip.

Once that's done, you'll be able to use the stalk method to program future fobs.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with the spare fob, after programming only the lights would operate.
I took the fob apart and cleaned the contacts with circuit board cleaner (the contacts were quite dirty) and the underside of the buttons.
Fitted new batteries and it worked fine from INSIDE my garage without reprogramming.

Bob