Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Unusual noise

The other day I saw a small piece of metal in my left rear tire and did not want to pull it out myself for fear of having a leak once I did so. So in the morning, I started the car as usual (no problem) and drove a mile or so to the local tire guy I use. He used a floor jack to lift the tire off the ground. I tried rotating the tire so to show him where the metal was but he said it would be easier to just remove the wheel, which he did. He then pulled out the small metal piece (turned out to be a harmless sliver), reinstalled the wheel, tightened the lugs, and lowered the car.

I started the car up to leave (no problem) and put it in reverse to back out of the space, then back into drive. The driveway out of the place is a bit steep so I had the usual minor valence scrape as I essentially coasted onto the main street. Just about then I heard a strange series of sounds--first a sort of groan and then what sounded like a ratcheting or chain-like noise followed by a "feel" like something was re-engaging. I coasted in the slow lane very slowly in anticipation that I would need to pull off the street but, just as suddenly all the noises went away.

My first guess was a tensioner issue but the car only as 21,000 miles and the tensioners are the latest generation. Also, I understood that tensioner noises were most likely to occur when the car was cold on initial startup--this was not the case.

There have been NO noises since that time (which was last week) and I am taking particular care to listen for noises on startup.

The reason I went into such excruciating detail of the precise events that led to the noise (thanks for hanging in there) is that I was wondering if another possibility could be the antilock brake system resetting. I have heard somewhat similar noises with other cars I have owned that had antilock brakes and/or traction control systems. For example, when starting the Corvette and going into reverse, there was some sound having to do with the antilock system engaging and similar sounds occurred when the traction system was engaged.

I am hoping that the noise I heard from the Jaguar had something to do with the fact that the car was jacked up and the wheel was removed and replaced and NOT anything to do with the tensioners.

Any expert opinions out there?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Not sure Doug. I can tell you, after having one corner of my car up for about an hour, when I put it back on the ground, the side that was not raised had a groan and noise when rotating the wheel the first time I took it out. Since then, nothing. I pondered the cause, and considered maybe the severe angle of inclination may have stressed the ball joints on that side, perhaps even the wheel bearing?? I dunno, just spouting.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

That's what I was conjecturing. Maybe the jacking up and removal of the wheel did something to the antilock sensors and they just needed to go through a "reset" once the car was rolling on all fours.

I did find this which pertains to BMW but sounds similar to what I was thinking:

EXCESSIVE NOISE FROM ENGINE COMPARTMENT AFTER FIRST STARTING OFF(ABS SELF TEST)

MODELS AFFECTED: 3 series (E 36)- four door models only
FAULT

: A noise(described as a rattle, groan or growl) occurs only after the engine is started and the
vehicle is put into motion. The noise is heard in the first 30 feet and only last a second.
CAUSE

: Most of the time the noise is from the pump activation portion of the ABS self-test.
SOLUTION

: The self test noise cannot be eliminated, can only be reduced, and even then not in all cases.
One way is to install insulated brake lines (only on vehicles produced before 03/92).

In the meantime I am listening carefully every time I start the car.

Doug

Last edited by SeismicGuy; 08-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.