XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very disappointed where do I go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very disappointed where do I go from here?

Just got back from muffler shop having the center muffler removed, thinking I would get somesweet sound & to my disappointment NOTHING! Can't tell any difference. There are two more, before & aft the rear axel. Where do I go next?
Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

plenty of very recent posts on topic. (e.g. from Frog ) Also about what part of the system has the biggest impact on sound cq power.
My advice (look for my posts) is to start at the rear mufflers, replace with straight pipe and determine what to do next; And take your time evaluating; There's a subtle difference between music and noise, especially after a while. And when you feel like cruising and you''r in the resonance RPM (aka drone) you get fed up quickly. But there's no better sound than exhaust bark when you floor it...!

Good luck

Last edited by keestanis; 06-22-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I deleted my rear boxes about 2 years ago. The result was the same noise with about 10-15% more volume. I have ordered some Nameless cats, as forum members say these are the way to get the 'deep bass growl' I have been looking for.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

When I replaced the rear mufflers with tubing (Mina kit) I got the sound I was after. VAROOM. The Mina kit has terrible mounts, though. I you get it, replace those with better mounts from the start. A skilled muffler shop can do better. I do like the tips that the Mina kit has.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

talking abt mounting rear exhausts; pretty basic stuff from diy did the job for me. 75 Euro's per side was the total cost for pipe, flex and mounting equipment....

Attached Thumbnails Very disappointed where do I go from here?-exh-mount.jpg   Very disappointed where do I go from here?-flex.jpg   Very disappointed where do I go from here?-exh-opening.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody remove the center muffler and the ones before the axel? Just wondered what that combo produced.
Thanks,
Mike,

Old 06-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default I did

Originally Posted by Mike Graham
Anybody remove the center muffler and the ones before the axel? Just wondered what that combo produced.
Thanks,
Mike,
I did went to the Mina mufflers in back and the sound was great but when I went to the Nameless Cats I had to add back in a set of resonators because the result was way the hell too loud. I've since gone to a complete new exhaust system (see thread XKR Mod Project where I go through the changes). https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...project-82601/

Old 06-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default XKR Exhaust

I am surprised to hear how many people changing their exhaust want it to sound like a mussel car, how crude. I have a 2006 XKR conv and I wanted to increase the horse power and change the sound. I did tons of research and lit on the Mina system. The first component in the exhaust is the catalytic converter which you should not mess with. The second is the resonator, common to a lot of cars, and the last is the muffler. The Mina system I used replaces the hole exhaust from the converter back. It eliminates the resonators and the pipe go under the axel rather than over, which helps flow. I found it took time to move the pipes, by twisting to get them to fit perfect. They use the factory mounts. You have a choice of twin tips or single oval tip and I choose the oval because I was told it had a throatier sound. The end result was deeper tone normally but when you stand on it the volume goes up like I wanted with a very deep throaty sound like "I" wanted. By the way I have never drug the pipes. I hope you can find something you like and still make it sound like a Jag should!

Corrected comment, the catalytic converters are located before the first muffler which is also a crossover muffler. Taking this muffler out seems to greatly increase the sound heard inside the car. This may be desirable for some, my choice was to increase the sound at the tail pipe. Sorry about the mistake.

Last edited by rjbaldwin51; 06-23-2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-24-2013, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Removing the center muffler increases sound volume but doesn't actually make it sound better, IMO. It will also increase in-cab drone. If you change the cats, you get much better sounding and much louder exhaust note. If you keep a center muffler, you won't get under cabin drone, but you do get noticeably more exhaust sound coming through the glass and top.

Personally, if you want it to sound a lot better, I would just install NP cats and keep the factory exhaust... except you'll probably want to replace the over-the-axle portion with something less restrictive.

I have the Mina Exhaust with a Borla center muffler, a H pipe up front and NP cats... it doesn't sound like a muscle car, it sounds more like a race car... not really loud like one, but a really wonderfully refined and aggressive tone of it's own.