XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning Chime Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Warning Chime Speaker Replacement

I recently lost all tones like key in ignition, top all the way up, head lights still on you dummy. I read several posts here and as usual you guys had coughed up the info I needed. I did a quick trouble shooting with a little speaker I had from some broken head phones to insure it was the speaker before sourcing a new one by touching the test speaker to the wires while I had the key in I got chime so I knew the speaker was toast. I read several and a few where people were taking it to the dealer, and buying dealer parts so I thought I would share my experience in case it helps someone that is concerned with doing this job themselves. Most posts warned to remove battery terminal, but I didn't without any problem. Might be a good idea since the part the speaker is connected to is an always one part.

I purchased the speakers from MCM electronics via web order as no one had them locally and I wanted to stay with specs of the original speaker of 64 ohms so I didn't change any output requirements of the part that sends to the speaker and 66MM so it fit perfectly. They have a shipping minimum that makes it worth thinking about what else you might need from them since the speaker itself is $1.29 without coupon. Still with shipping under $10 and they shipped the next morning after I placed the order.

I have a 97 model and not sure if anything changed along the way but here are the steps with pictures.

Located in the steering column just behind the key slot for ignition, small perferation to let the sound out can be seen.

Remove the two screws from lower steering column cover and then separate the lower half and let it hang from wiring of a couple of parts mounted in it. You then can see the speaker.

The edge of speaker can be seen

The speaker is held in by inserting the top into a slot and two small push pin retainers. Pulling the retainers with your finger nails you can pull them back slightly to release the speaker. Then reach up and push lower edge back slightly and pull down.

Allow the speaker to hang and use solder iron to melt the solder and allow the wire to pull loose from the speaker. You may want to put a towel down on the floor to protect the carpet.

Red trace wire is on the positive terminal.

The tricky part of this is to hold new speaker with wire inserted and solder. I found that I gave each wire a little extra solder to fatten them up a little then put the wire in the hole hold while holding speaker, reached up and soldered. One of those times you wish you had a third hand, but honestly a two minute thing to remove speaker and solder the wires back in place on the new one.

Then I would suggest a quick stick of the key in ignition to test. If successful chimes will be heard and time to put it back together.

Slide the top edge of speaker into the slot, (I couldn't see up in there with speaker in place but easy to know when you find the slot) then while pulling the speaker to the mounting push the pins back in. Slide the bottom cover of steering column into place tucking the rubber edge back into the lower dash part then gently push up and it should snap into place and stay without holding it when lined up correctly. Then just reinstall the two screws.

Entire job was only about 15 minutes to remove the speaker to diagnose, wait for speaker to arrive 2-3 days, then 20 minutes to swap new speaker. Then you can feel good about raising a pint to those boys in the UK for not making this job a tough one. Feels good to have the chimes back.

Here are some side by sides of speakers.

Thanks again for you guys that posted previously, I honestly read longer than I worked and was comfortable diagnosing the issue and doing repair because of your help.

The following 15 users liked this post by TexMurphy:
avern1 (03-07-2017), clyons (03-07-2017), Davidall (07-25-2018), Don B (04-08-2017), GGG (03-08-2017), JagNoir (07-27-2017), jimmiejag (07-27-2017), lovemycar1 (07-28-2017), michaelh (03-08-2017), mike6348 (07-14-2017), Orthodixie (07-26-2017), oyster (03-07-2017), rothwell (03-07-2017), rwilcoxen (05-23-2017), woox4 (03-08-2017) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:02 PM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

Added to FAQ's

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...00/#post201829

See Warning Chime Speaker Replacement (thanks to TexMurphy)

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Graham for noticing. I appreciate you thought it could be helpful to others enough to sticky me. Be happy to help anyone I can along the way, keeping a 20 year old car going is a great hobby.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:52 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Turn signal speaker not functioning

I'm told by the Jag dealer that the turn signal speaker is located behind the dash not in the steering column for a 2002 XK8. ?