Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight of Double Five wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Weight of Double Five wheels

Hi,

​​​​​​anyone that knows the weight of Double Five wheels? Looking for new wheels, and wants to save weight. If possible of course

Regards,
Higgins

Old 08-16-2018, 03:42 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

I have absolutely no idea, but perhaps Dave at DCR can answer your question. Jaguar XK8 XKR Double 5 Alloy Wheels Set | Jaguar XK8 and XKR Parts and Accessories

Since they ship them, they should know the weight. Remember, the fronts and rears are not the same size. Eight inch (front) and nine inch (rear).

Cheers,

Stu

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (10-19-2019)
Old 08-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Smile Higgins the Double Five man!!

Higgins, They are all made of some kind of Aluminum Alloy and the weight difference of all the Jaguar Wheels would not be enough to matter....The Double Five Wheel is smaller in size than the Montreal or the Detroit wheels as they are both 20's. I don't think the Double-5 is more than 18" and not as wide as the Detroit which comes in at 9" Front and 10" Rear....Weight doesn't matter on an XK …it's the Beauty that counts! If you like the Double-5, then that's the Wheel for you! What kind of Wheel do you have now? Someone with Double-5's might want to trade.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

Orthodixie (10-19-2019)
Old 08-17-2018, 04:24 AM

Hi,

when it comes to performance and fuel consumption, every pound or kilo counts. Of course xk8 is not the car if you want outright performance or minimum fuel consumption, but I would still like to improve both. Also, light wheels improves ride quality since unsprung weight is malicious. If 3 or 4 pounds can be saved at each wheel, gains are made. In this case I dont hope to find a decent set of Detroits or Sepangs since they have become to expensive. I look at using BMW wheels with 5x120 pattern together with conical bolts. I found a wheel Miro 110 with the same specs as Coventry whitley, that is 20" ET20 front 8.5 rear 9.5. Weight is 29.5 pounds front and 30.5 pounds rear.

So, now I would like to compare weight with my Double Fives

Regards,
Higgins

Old 08-17-2018, 04:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

I have the solution. A set of Jaguar Space Saver spare wheels.

Less than half the weight of any full size wheel option with skinny tyres for that retro feel. An XK8 that handles just like an E-Type for a fraction of the cost.

Graham

The following 5 users liked this post by GGG:
avern1 (10-12-2019), BradXK8 (10-16-2019), crbass (10-16-2019), labcoatguy (08-17-2018), toaster (08-18-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Somewhat reminiscent of the E-Type Lightweight.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,576 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgins
"......, now I would like to compare weight with my Double Fives
Regards,
Higgins

this may be too simple of an observation, but have you thought about just taking a wheel off of the car and weighing it ? Every tire manufacturer I know of publishes weight specification for their tires. So finding out that should be easy as pie. Weigh the wheel / tire assembly then subtract the tire weight.

That should take you all of 10 minutes to jack up one side, get the wheel off of the car, weigh it on a digital bathroom scale (they are very accurate). then put the wheel back on the car. If your scale won't go as low as the wheel / tire weight, just pick it up and get on the scale. Then weigh yourself without holding the tire. Subtract higher number from lower number and there you have the weight of the wheel / tire assembly.

In any case, following the above procedure will take you less time than waiting for someone else to post the answer.

Z

Last edited by zray; 08-17-2018 at 09:59 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zray:
1951sms (04-08-2021), GGG (08-17-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
I have the solution. A set of Jaguar Space Saver spare wheels.

Less than half the weight of any full size wheel option with skinny tyres for that retro feel. An XK8 that handles just like an E-Type for a fraction of the cost.

Graham
LOL, just DON'T go over 55 mph and the handling will be superb !

Z

Last edited by zray; 08-17-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:32 PM

Thanks all for good and better suggestions!

Yes, if no one can tell me what the weight is I will put one on the scale myself and try to get the info from the tire manufacturer to subtract the weight of the tire. In this case a Falken-tire at the rear

Old 08-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Well Higgins, Why didn't you do that in the first place? Do you think that we are going to go out and find a Double-5 and weight it for you? I told you that all the Jaguar wheels weight about the same......and by the way what model and year Jag do you have to start with?

Do you even have an XK8 or XKR?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 08-17-2018, 09:07 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

The performance changes you are going to see or feel are going to be negligible if all you are doing is saving a few pounds per wheel. You'd be better off dumping your spare tire in the garage.

Our cars are heavy and not exactly meant to be sports cars. MAYBE you'd see some quantifiable difference in the track, but I'd not bet on it.

The one thing you can be sure of by reducing rotational mass is that your one of your rear tires is going to turn into smoking sticky goo more quickly.

Relax and enjoy the look!

Old 08-17-2018, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^. +1

if you really want to make a weight difference, remove ALL the sound deadening material, then pull out the fancy seats, front AND back, and replace them with ONE racing seat. Just working on those two areas is likely to drop 500+ lbs.

Z

Old 08-18-2018, 03:25 AM

Hi,

As I wrote yesterday, I am aware that the XK8 is neither the car for outright performance (unless you change your SC to a bigger better one) nor minimal fuel consumption. Still, I want to reduce weight where possible without ruining the strenghts of the XK8. If weight is reduced in many places, maybe just a pound or two in each place, in the end performance gains will be made. Yes, I have thought of changing seats from my worn standard seats to new reclinable Recaro or Sparco seats without electric motors in them. Weight of such Recaro seats are 33 pounds each. That is maybe 30% of the weight of the standard seats. If my seats where not worn I would probably not bother but since I need to do something about them, why not reduce weight at the same time?

I have the greatest respect of the XK8 owners that wants to keep their cars 100% original, and I never get rid of the original parts that I swap for aftermarket replacements. Some day I might want to restore the car to 100% original spec

Regards,
Henrik

Old 08-18-2018, 06:15 AM

Bill,

no I dont expect you to go out in your garage and put your wheel on the scale. My humble question was aimed at those who might be in possesion of the knowledge of this kind. If you dont, please dont be offended by my question. And yes, I am the proud owner of a 2000 Xkr coupe, platinum gray

Regards
Higgins

Old 08-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I am not entirely sure saving weight on the wheels will necessarily save on gas. Might be slower to accelerate, but also harder to slow down. Braking less and driving more on momentum save a ton of gas. FWIW, most people would say 18" is a great choice for our cars, good compromise between comfort (more sidewall, less un-sprung weight) and performance (for a luxury car), and even leaves room for big brakes. Tires tend to also be cheaper. I had a set of heavy chromed 19" Apollos, and changed them to a set of 18" hydras. Way better for me in just about every respect. Of course these nicer 20" wheels from the later cars look incredible, but I am not willing to do what it takes to get a set, mostly because of cost.

Jaguar wheels are cataloged "everywhere", but hardly anyone has them available Search "jaguar 59713". If you search long enough, maybe someone has a weight listed.

bcprice36 (08-18-2018)
Old 10-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

Remove unspring weight is different from removing sprung weigh. A savings of ten pounds per wheel will have a dramatic effect on suspension travel dynamics; while removing forty pounds from the car will yield negligible effects. Less unspring weight allows the tire to follow the contours of the road better.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:44 AM
Received 223 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by GordoCatCar
Remove unspring weight is different from removing sprung weigh. A savings of ten pounds per wheel will have a dramatic effect on suspension travel dynamics; while removing forty pounds from the car will yield negligible effects. Less unspring weight allows the tire to follow the contours of the road better.
What he said. removing weight from your wheels is a different animal than removing weight elsewhere. That being said, I don't know what the threshold to actually feel that difference is. I switched from revolvers to montreals, which is about as extreme as you can get (within the constraint of oem wheels), but I'm not sure I feel much difference in how the car handles.

That being said, the double fives are a smaller wheel, but if they're at all comparable to the revolvers in terms of weight, I would probably look into aftermarket wheels instead. Obviously every pound counts, and it all adds up, but wheels are one area where saving 10 pounds a corner might actually be a big deal, so it might be worth going for bigger weight savings there.

Last edited by EnjoyEverySandwich; 10-16-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:24 AM

In the end I purchased Tsw Chicane 20" wheels, rotary forged wheels. Heavier than the double fives but probably lighter than the Montreals, Sepangs and the other BBS factory option wheels

Old 10-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Received 223 Likes on 116 Posts

Cool! Curious about your suspension--I see red springs. What's going on there?

Old 10-16-2019, 02:07 PM

I replaced just about everything at the front end, and the red springs are from british supplier Adamesh. Lowers the car slighly but are not significantly stiffer compared to standard

Quick Reply: Weight of Double Five wheels