Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Central Locking / Windows Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Central Locking / Windows Problem

Hi,

I've got a 2004 XKR that has recently developed some weird central locking and window problems.

It all started one day where I locked it with the remote fob and the alarm went off immediately. It would do this every time on locking whether using the fob or key in the lock. It did this for about 3 days and in the end I resorted to not locking the car as there was no way to do so without the alarm going off.

After 3 days, I then noticed when going into drive/reverse the doors would lock (as usual), but the driver's door would lock and unlock 4 times before locking. At this point, I noticed that the alarm was no longer going off when I pressed lock on the remote fob, but the drivers door wasn't actually locking.

After about a week of this, the windows stopped dropping slightly on opening the door. They also stopped going up slightly when closing it. I tried the reset procedure of dropping the windows down, waiting for a click, the puttng them back up again and holding for another click but this had no effect.

Another week passed and I'm now in the situation where the passenger door only locks / unlocks by using the internal handle. The drivers door can be locked / unlocked by the key in lock only (remote fob does nothing for either door), but does lock the boot correctly. The autolock/unlock when going into gear doesn't work, and opening the drivers door does not unlock the passenger door. Also, the windows are not going up/down automatically so every time I close the driver's door it feel like the glass is going to smash.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to start looking? Someone told me tale of woe about the body control module on theirs failing with an £800 repair bill. Hoping it's something more simple!

Old 10-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

The problems that you are experiencing usually indicate a battery that isn't fully charged (but will still start the car). Have the battery load tested before going to the expense of replacing any computer modules. Hopefully, a new battery will be all that is necessary to rectify the problem.

Cheers,

Stu

Old 10-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

My 05 had window issues similar to yours and was fixed by battery replacement last month. I had no indication of weak cranking, I had bought the car 3 months earlier and had no way to verify its age.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grantorino62...…...Just to say I too had a new battery fitted by a garage along with other things and my voltage measured at the front fuse box reads 11.8 Volt! When I start the car it doesn't seem to change. The lights do increase in brightness very slightly. They fitted a 90amp
battery and what WAS on was a 110 amper hour one. With all the high current electronics running all the time these batteries do get 'hammered'! Also my car is a dual fuel vehicle which uses LPG. The extra solenoids and regulators really soak up
the power. Just done a drop test on said battery and it failed, mind you my resistor machine kept me warm yesterday got red hot !!

P.S Love your stable, specially the old Ford !

The following users liked this post:
grantorino62 (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 10:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

I agree a failing or discharged battery is contributing to the issue.

The door lock engaging/disengaging is also an indication of a failing microswitch in the Door Latch.

Graham

Old 11-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,579 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by bamford
".......my voltage measured at the front fuse box reads 11.8 Volt! ........"!
new or old, Anything under 12.2 is DOA. I'd try a different battery. Any NAPA stores where you reside ? I also had many electronic anomalies until I installed a new battery, i put in a NAPA Legend Premium absorbent glass mat battery, and all the gremlins crawled back under their rocks.

Z