Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went to the junkyard with my son today

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts
Default went to the junkyard with my son today

The Miata we were going to strip parts off was already claimed and the parts we wanted were in the claimer's wheelbarrow, but there was an 02 XJR...

and I finally found an armrest with a working cupholder.

Less that $10 and they didn't charge extra for sporty 200mph tape upholstery.

Just have to dis-assemble, clean it up and swap it into my car.

Attached Thumbnails went to the junkyard with my son today-armrest1.jpg  
Old 09-17-2016, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Score!

Old 09-18-2016, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

You are so lucky ..................... I remember when it was possible to go to a scrapyard / junkyard and climb all over cars looking for stuff you needed, or might need in the future.
Now, here in the UK, most are called "Vehicle Recycling Centres" and nobody is allowed access to the cars for Health and Safety Reasons. I can understand that with air-bags, and pyrotechnic tensioners, various noxious fluids and just the fact that cars are piled on top of each other there's potential for an accident, but crossing a road is not without danger so ................. why not.
Well done on the find - I envy you !!

Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Got the cupholder swapped into my console - works great. It seems the 2002 has a few updates from my 1997: (actual hinges instead of the pin/eyelet system where the eyelets break, and a slightly different design cup holder door with reliefs for the new hinges).

The cupholder door backing plastic/backside leather has to be dremeled down to clear the hinges, but it just took a minute.

This cup holder worked out perfect, because the nasty/broken parts on the junkyard armrest were good on my old armrest, and the nasty/broken parts on my old armrest were good on the junkyard armrest. The only good spare parts I have left over are the screws and the hinge. Every thing else is nasty/broken.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
You are so lucky ..................... I remember when it was possible to go to a scrapyard / junkyard and climb all over cars looking for stuff you needed, or might need in the future.
Now, here in the UK, most are called "Vehicle Recycling Centres" and nobody is allowed access to the cars for Health and Safety Reasons. I can understand that with air-bags, and pyrotechnic tensioners, various noxious fluids and just the fact that cars are piled on top of each other there's potential for an accident, but crossing a road is not without danger so ................. why not.
Well done on the find - I envy you !!

At the Pick-N-Pull they have a dry erase marker board with "it has been _____ days since our last OSHA recordable injury".

They were up to 36 days. My son said last time we were there it had only been one day, so he congratulated them on telling people to work safe and not be an idiot.

I hope the self service junkyards don't go away. Since stupid people can still hire smart lawyers, and insurance companies quickly tire of paying smart lawyers, it could totally happen. At least my son got to see what "the good old days" were like.