XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a price for door seals - is this just in UK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What a price for door seals - is this just in UK?

Buying the XKR coupe and having arranged some paintwork with dealer we were taken by surprise by the state of the door seals. At the bottom of the window where the rubber meets the glass is a part often described as a door scraper, but listed by Jaguar as a "waist seal outer". Above the glass is the rubber seal which is attached to a rubber coated alloy rail, This alloy rail screws up into the door frame. The rail and rubber extend from the door mirror over the top of the glass and down to the lock keeper. Jaguar call this the "Door aperature edge finisher".

Here are the "trade" prices being quoted by UK Jaguar who have just put all their prices up apparently
HJA 5364AF Door Aperature Edge Finisher-RH door = £345.03 incl VAT
HJA 5365AF Door Aperature Edge Finisher-LH door = £345.03 incl VAT
GJA 1710AF Waist Seal - RH Outer = £191.52 incl VAT
GJA 1711AF Waist Seal - LH Outer = £191.52 incl VAT

The waist seal is prone to corrosion which pushes the alloy apart from the rubber, and the edge finisher alloy bubbles up under the lip where it is rubber coated. I didn't realise this could not be painted and has to be replaced. Every XK8 I looked at in my hunt for a car had the same issue above the glass.

So here is my call for help.
Is the cost equally insane across Europe and in the US, or can I buy cheaper abroad?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I'm afraid that's the price according to my long term parts contact @ the Jaguar....

The same waist seals on XJ8's have the same issue, I bought x4 recently for my rebuilt XJR and they came in at around £400 with trade reduction.

Have you tried David Manners, SNG Barratt etc? they'll probably be the same because they'll be ordering from Unipart, Jaguar's supplier, maybe contact Jaguar Heritage parts dept also.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

This might help.
There is a thread here on repainting the waist door moulding

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rim-faq-55561/

I also have the upper moulding problem, but having done some research I thought it was identified as the Drip Moulding, even more expensive and in short supply! See my post here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-repair-81219/
I think the one you quote is only the unpainted rubber seal, though I could be wrong!

Copied from another thread/post:

Update on this from Jaguar:

GJA1711AJ Waist Finisher L/H 18 units available £159.06
GJA1710AJ Waist Finisher R/H 200 units due on 26 Sep into packers say 30 Sep into warehouse ready for dispatch £183.83
HJA5340BF Drip Moulding L/H Production Issue £?
HJA5341BF Drip Moulding R/H 18 units available £511.14

They don't seem able/willing to budge on the pricing of the drip mouldings (I expect the new L/H ones will be as expensive as the R/H sides) saying that the supplier (DURA, which I'm guessing is Dura Automotive Body and Glass Systems (UK) Ltd in Birmingham, have put up their prices due to retooling, sorting production issues and the small quantity to be made)

I don't know if DURA made the original trims but their mission statement
"DURA’s mission is to inspire:

drivers, through exceptional vehicle interactions, such as the feel
of a shifter or the mirror finish on a 10-year-old trim"

Mine are only 7 years old. So if they did make them seems they failed!!

Last edited by Stumpy; 10-04-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:17 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

The problem with the Waist Seal is not in the metal but in the priming by the original supplier.

If you read through the thread in Derek's link above, you'll see that both Keith Westra and I had the same issues on a 2000 Convertible and a 2005 Coupe.

The bad news is the replacement cost. The good news is they are easily refurbished. If a good Etch Primer is used, the problem will go away.

Graham

Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

I *think* the OP's issue is the separation of the finisher trim out of the seal, the alloy turns to powder behind the finisher and bulges out, this can't be fixed.

But, I could be completely wrong!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Sean B
I *think* the OP's issue is the separation of the finisher trim out of the seal, the alloy turns to powder behind the finisher and bulges out, this can't be fixed.

But, I could be completely wrong!
Have a look at the pics of my Waist Seal in #21 of Derek's thread link.

Although used to seeing bubbling on Waist Seals and screen finishers on many XK8's, this was one of the worst I'd come across. My first thought was that the metal had turned to powder. However, this was not the case and the metal cleaned up perfectly.

Eleven months later, it is still unmarked.

If I had Seals where the metal had gone, I'd be sourcing used ones from a breaker and refurbishing them long before considering spending £700 on new replacements!

Graham

Old 10-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Graham - I totally take your point re your waist seals and as far as the refurb goes - what a nice job.
My problem is according to paintshop separation of rubber and alloy in the waist seal put them beyond repair - photos show end of waist rail fanning out and back bubbled out to half way.
As for the Edge finisher, there is no way to paint it apparently as it is rubber coated and alloy turned to powder underneath the bulges - again photos show bubbles on end of edge finisher next to door mirror and again at top of door. Other door is even worse. NB the drip moulding is the painted strip above this.
Hence I am asking at this stage if anyone in UK or elsewhere is being given better prices for new OE parts.
Like any other sane person, I don't want to pay £1100 for 4 seals!

Attached Thumbnails What a price for door seals - is this just in UK?-end-waist-rail.jpg   What a price for door seals - is this just in UK?-back-waist-rail.jpg   What a price for door seals - is this just in UK?-bubbles-bottom-edge-finisher.jpg   What a price for door seals - is this just in UK?-bubbles-edge-finisher-below-drip-moulding.jpg  
Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Not just in the UK The door seal is 342.00 for the right and 398.00 for the left

Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Lurker
Graham - I totally take your point re your waist seals and as far as the refurb goes - what a nice job.
My problem is according to paintshop separation of rubber and alloy in the waist seal put them beyond repair - photos show end of waist rail fanning out and back bubbled out to half way.
As for the Edge finisher, there is no way to paint it apparently as it is rubber coated and alloy turned to powder underneath the bulges - again photos show bubbles on end of edge finisher next to door mirror and again at top of door. Other door is even worse. NB the drip moulding is the painted strip above this.
Hence I am asking at this stage if anyone in UK or elsewhere is being given better prices for new OE parts.
Like any other sane person, I don't want to pay £1100 for 4 seals!
They certainly look beyond refurbishment.

Good used parts has to be a tiny fraction of the cost for new replacements.

Graham

Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

+1 for good secondhand - maybe hunt down a copy of Jaguar World magazine at your local WH Smith and start calling around the breakers.

I've one contact that will probably sort you out with good s/h parts. pm on the way!

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (10-05-2012)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:24 PM
jap
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I see this is an old post, but just wanted to let anyone who has this problem know that I just purchased both driver and passenger outer waist seals for $50 each from Jaguar Heaven in Stockton California (plus $20 for shipping). They are in excellent shape. I too was terrified at the prospect of having to buy these pieces new. I'm not actually sure that the drivers side needs to be replaced, but after seeing the cost I grabbed it while I could.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Common problem on X type too

Maybe of interest. Copy and paste "X-type estate waist seals" in the search forums.
Regards

Old 11-30-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

I noticed the last "old Post" was in 2012 and you could still buy the Drip Molding that goes around the top of the coupes glass....Someone tried to break-in through the Back of the Door Glass and tore-up the Rubber back there....This was in 2014.....The only one I could find at that time in the USA was through Coventry West.......$550.00!!!! They don't make them anymore!!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 09-21-2022, 06:33 AM
Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

My ‘96 XK8 seals were save-able and cleaned up well, but the internal structure was sound, so just cosmetic refurb required. However, on my project car, an ‘02 x308 sport, the black waist seals were totally blown out and trashed, soother solutions were needed. I tried all sorts of proprietary, rubbish rubber seals and none were good enough.

In desperation, I ended up furtively skulking around Sainsbury’s car park one lunchtime with a duff waist seal checking out various models of car for a close match to the profile and length. No1. result…Vauxhall Corsa ’D’, 3dr. Managed to get 2 pairs from a scrap yard for £60. A couple of hours work with my Dremel and, hey presto, RESULT! Only a true X300/308 aficionado would ever spot them. I don’t think they’ll blow out like the old ones, but if they do, at £15 a throw, it’s not too disastrous. There’s still a slight bulge over the c-pillar, but I might need to do a bit more trimming and that should solve the problem.

Spread the word 😁

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Well done. These particular parts are indeed insanely priced. I try to keep ours thinly-lubed with Sil-Glyde in an effort to preserve them....