XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is your daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
I feel fortunate that I was able to thrash my e types, a '67 and a '70, during the years when they were just another nice used sports car. So I had no moral dilemma to solve, as todays collectors might have.

I changed the head gasket in my driveway, then I drove them from Oklahoma to the west coast (more than once), as fast as they would go, when traffic would allow. My best average was 90 mph for the whole 1,400 mile trip. Maybe not fast enough to win the Cannonball, but great fun nevertheless in the late 1970's / early1980's.

Z
awesome! glad that you were able to do these things, inspiring. just hope that the next generations can have the same sense of adventure.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:40 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I only ever drove an E-Type twice and both times under very watchful eyes. That's how I can to dream of owning a Jaguar. IMO the most beautiful cars ever built...with our X100s close behind.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottsgreenjag
Wonder what Carroll Shelby would have thought of XK8's?? He started racing in 1952 with a "49 MG TC, and switched to a Jaguar XK 120.

And I'm thinking possessive on Shelby's name, not plural. Shelby's cars over the years included a British AC, 3 or 4 different Dodge vehicles to include a pickup, lots of Mustangs and for the Shelby Series 1, he chose an Oldsmobile 4.0L 32 valve V8.

What is your daily driver and what was your first car?
First car was an Alfa GTV.

My dailies I already posted a couple pages back. E-class and Mazda 3.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
sure you will. now, not later, simply take the car out and start having some adventures within parameters that make sense to you and your situation. plan a route across a continent where you wish to go. or see how far you can go and come back within a weekend or day (my MO). if you finally reach the point where natural wear requires a rebuild of the engine or replacement of its rings, do it yourself and take pictures. i could not do these things while young, but now the grown children think that i am nuts in a good way.

could not do as much as i wanted with the E Type due to obligations, but did enjoy it while keeping it nice. a collector was chasing me as it was an excellent condition survivor as i rolled the miles. we stayed friends and he struggled whether to do the full restoration. warned him that things would be very different if he did it. as an excellent specimen, it restored very well but he ended up selling it as it was a piece of jewelry. this is where the value made sense to shift usage, but if I was in a different place, would have kept it as a mileage accumulating survivor. would have been fun to be close to the level of restored specimens with hundreds of thousands of miles and the upgraded cooling system that i added , AC system and the undercarriage paint and rustproofing. remember, restoration often means making something as bad as it once was. i wonder if future xk8 restorers will lose points for Real Gauge, upgraded thermostat housings, oil pressure gauges, rust proofing (oh, sorry, though that i was with the Corvette guys again.)

will one day purchase a Series II to add to the collection and not make the same mistakes twice.
Sure. That sounds like a great idea. Take my X100 to the south of France, once I get it.

But I was basically wondering if the X100 will indeed ever reach the classic status of the E-type. I think it will. But the lack of a manual transmission sure will hold it back a bit in my opinion.

Good question about the X100 losing points for updated parts. If the car collectors scene stays as silly as it is today, I think it will absolutely lose points for the upgraded parts. So if I get a 4.0 car with low mileage and still the plastic tensioners, original water pump etc, I better keep those in a closet after I upgrade, just in case.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by nassi
Certainly different times. Glad you were able to make the most of them.
the e type were certainly the top "crumpet collector" I've ever had the pleasure to own. Other-wised reserved young women (strangers all) thought nothing of hopping in the car and saying to me, "just drive, I don't care where we go...". Happened more than once, and never in any other car I've owned
!!!

Z

Old 03-13-2018, 09:53 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

ZRAY, I'm using a Weiand 174 on a 351 punched to 427, 8.4 compression and a 10 rib drive belt 3:73 8.8" Mustang GT rear. I had it on the car when I was go-carting in 2012 and it was too scary for me. That was six years ago so now I say what the hell, I'm not getting any younger. I'll also switch the rear to 3:55's.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,347 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeagar
Sure. That sounds like a great idea. Take my X100 to the south of France, once I get it.

But I was basically wondering if the X100 will indeed ever reach the classic status of the E-type. I think it will. But the lack of a manual transmission sure will hold it back a bit in my opinion.

Good question about the X100 losing points for updated parts. If the car collectors scene stays as silly as it is today, I think it will absolutely lose points for the upgraded parts. So if I get a 4.0 car with low mileage and still the plastic tensioners, original water pump etc, I better keep those in a closet after I upgrade, just in case.
Do classic car collectors really prefer having a car that may implode just because it is more original? Stuff like the tensioners were part of Jaguar TSB's if I recall correctly. I think that would count as keeping the car "original".

Old 03-13-2018, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Do classic car collectors really prefer having a car that may implode just because it is more original? Stuff like the tensioners were part of Jaguar TSB's if I recall correctly. I think that would count as keeping the car "original".
That all matching number stuff is an undiagnosed mental illness. We restored/owned multiple national show winning cars over the years and eventually recognized the folly, if 100 trophies too late.

Keeping a car in a bubble and backing it in and out of an enclosed trailer for a 3ft piece of plated pot metal is no way to spend a meaningful life.

Cars were made to be driven.

The following users liked this post:
CorStevens (03-14-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,578 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by johns427
".....so now I say what the hell, I'm not getting any younger....."

Go for it !!! I can't push in a clutch anymore on a regular basis, so I'm very thankful I listened to my inner spirit and drove my Shelby's and other classics every day, rain or shine for all the years that I had them. The cars didn't suffer from the frequent exercise, and I certainly gained many irreplaceable memories.

I intend to continue that philosophy with the XKR. It's a joy to drive, and I don't intend on missing out on any adventures it has to offer.

Z

Old 03-13-2018, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Lovely car. There is something about the original 1996 wheels that is so complementary to the whole style of the X100. I really like them. They fit the retro looking body very nicely. Are they 17"?
Those are the "revolver" wheels. I really like them too. If they were widened to 9.5" they would be perfect to run 255 in front or 275/285's in back. They don't fit the 14" (355mm) Brembos, but they should fit the 325mm brakes.

Not nearly uncrashable enough, if you go by those bad Mustang drivers videos on Youtube.
I can't figure any of those videos out. I track the car and it is crazy control-able, like magical, like you have to be really stupid. Learn the track with stab full on. after you learn the track go to advance track and the tail hangs out. Take the stability control off totally and you will be spinning out of control in under a lap. Only an idiot would to that, though.

Last edited by Ungn; 03-13-2018 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ungn
Those are the "revolver" wheels. I really like them too. If they were widened to 9.5" they would be perfect to run 255 in front or 275/285's in back. They don't fit the 14" (355mm) Brembos, but they should fit the 325mm brakes.

I can't figure any of those videos out. I track the car and it is crazy control-able, like magical, like you have to be really stupid. Learn the track with stab full on. after you learn the track go to advance track and the tail hangs out. Take the stability control off totally and you will be spinning out of control in under a lap. Only an idiot would to that, though.
Revolver wheels. Thanks for the info. Good to know. Really lovely wheels and have a retro style which fits the car so nicely.

About the videos, I think you solved the charade. One has to be really stupid. It's clear those people in the videos are in above their heads. They seem to just not have the skills needed to handle the power. They should stick to low powered FWD cars.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I was being a bit sarcastic. But since they never really drive the cars and all the car has to do is look nice and have a running engine, as they are trailed to the concours around, the car would never really have much chance to implode.

But honestly, some collectors and old car fans are really annoying with the originality thing. The snobbery and nitpicking has no end. I lose my patience with these types. They will dismiss anything which strays away from factory or any cars which are made after 1979 or something. It's ridiculous. I have had to literally walk away once not to sock some moron. This is how annoying and pretentious those posers can get.

The following users liked this post:
CorStevens (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I daily drive my 98 XJR and that was entirely why I bought it. It gets maybe 1k miles per year during nice weather, and maybe 5k of salty winter. The XKR gets 5-7k per year when salt is not on the roads, rain or shine, but no salt; absolutely no salt miles.

I paid $4k for my XJR with 80k miles 3 years ago and it has 98k and no rust yet. I feel bad using it up, but it wasn't concourse to begin with, and it's actually in better shape now than when I bought it.