Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's this part called?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's this part called?

Hi Everyone,

I found a black plastic, round cylinder, about 2 inches wide and about 2.5 inches long, with a hole at one end, loose on the driver side floor, under the dash.

I gave it to my shop to install (along with other items to fix), and, now they don't remember and certainly can't find the piece I gave them. They said they looked under the dash and didn't see any pieces missing.

Can anyone tell me the name of the piece I'm describing and maybe a link to a picture of it, so that I can show it to the shop and hopefully jog their memory. Also, whatever it is, what does it do?

Thanks.

2004 XK8

Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

could you provide us with a picture of this part?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 PM

Sorry, Chopr, I can't. That's the problem. I found the part (as I described), gave it to the shop to install, and they LOST IT. Now I'm missing some part and I don't even know what it is, where it went, or what's for.

Help????????

Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Could it be the tool usually found with the spare wheel to remove the anti-theft lug cover?

Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 AM

No, Frog, sorry, that's going to cost you 100 points. Actually, I'm not sure what that tool looks like, but, I know how big lugs are, and, the hole, as I recall, was much smaller.

I'd say the diameter of the hole was about 1/2 inch, if that - I think.
So, again, here's what I recall.

Black plastic.
Round, cylinder shaped. I said before it was smaller, but, I am now thinking it was much wider in diameter - maybe 3 inches. I still think it was about 2 inches long. I think that extruding from one end, sort of in the inner portion, was a smaller cylinder, maybe an inch or less in diameter. I think it was in that piece in which there was a hole. The end that did not have the protruding piece (with the hole in it), I believe was just a flat end of the cylinder.

Come on guys (and gals.) I know I'm describing this thing very poorly, but.....

(It was very lightweight, almost like it was mostly hollow.)

Last edited by rrgoldstein; 01-16-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I got nothin, and i've had the center console out half-dozen times, pulled the reach motor out twice, and I can't recall anything cylinder shaped like you describe.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 AM

Someone suggested maybe it was part of the 'kick plate' or 'kick' something or other? I didn't follow him. My goodness, am I useless here, or what?

Thanks for your continued efforts.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts
Default Wild guess ..............

Could it be some sort of housing or cover for one of the elctric motors under the seat ??

Old 01-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Some sort of sex aid left by the previous owner..?

Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

It's the centre spool for the original hand-coloured version of the 'Wizard of Oz'

Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Here's my guess: part of the footrest

The footrest is in two pieces, a lower that is screwed down and an upper that clips to it. The lower has recesses where the screws go and the upper has two cylindrical parts that fit into those recesses.

Those cylindrical bits are just a friction fit and if someone removed the upper rest then one could have come off and been rolling around on the floor.

JTIS doesn't have a very good picture but the black arrows are pointing toward the parts I mean.
What's this part called?-footrest.jpg

You can see the inside of the upper pedal better in this pic I took when assembling the aluminum pedals I put in.
What's this part called?-bolted.jpg

Old 01-16-2013, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I am thinking maybe the kickdown switch cover from under the gas pedal ?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 PM

CcFulton - boy that was a good effort, but, from I can tell - those pieces are not as closed (at the cylindrical ends), as was my piece. But, I'm going to examine the care in the morning.

WhiteXKR - The 'kickdown switch' eh? That sort of sounds like what someone said BEFORE I lost the piece. Hmm. I tried doing an image search for that, but, no luck. If you find a pic of that, I'd love to see it.

My continued gratitude to all those who have played in this round of "Name that part"."

(By the way, I just had my fuel rail replaced (this was the subject of a different thread), and, all works fine. I was having a leak from the fuel dampener, found a used one for $550, and, the shop gave me a good deal of 1 hour (125), and, all seems good - except they lost this mystery piece. (However, the dashboard readouts of instant and average millage seem very low, but, I'll ignore that for now.)

Ok, back to the game currently in progress.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:43 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Where do I get a replacement?

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Here's my guess: part of the footrest

The footrest is in two pieces, a lower that is screwed down and an upper that clips to it. The lower has recesses where the screws go and the upper has two cylindrical parts that fit into those recesses.

Those cylindrical bits are just a friction fit and if someone removed the upper rest then one could have come off and been rolling around on the floor.

JTIS doesn't have a very good picture but the black arrows are pointing toward the parts I mean.
Attachment 30392

You can see the inside of the upper pedal better in this pic I took when assembling the aluminum pedals I put in.
Attachment 30393
Been searching everywhere... I would like the extension piece but cannot find it sold anywhere... even in the Parts listing...

??

Old 02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by 9mileskid
Been searching everywhere... I would like the extension piece but cannot find it sold anywhere... even in the Parts listing...

??
It's under Interior Trim & Linings:

I'd noticed in comments about the extended footrest that most of the complaints seemed to come from LHD markets. Looks like the RHD 'dead pedal' (item 1) is larger than the LHD (item 2).

Graham

Attached Thumbnails What's this part called?-footrest.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
9mileskid (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

9mile,

I think Maxwdg had an extra one that he was offering up for postage. Try searching for his recent thread.

If memory serves, and it often doesn't.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

I think someone was onto it. I think it may be the LJC6570AA from under the accel. pedal. Some cars have a switch there, others have just a 1/4 turn pushy downy thingy that looks the same. I know the supercharged 4.0 cars had a switch there.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
It's under Interior Trim & Linings:

I'd noticed in comments about the extended footrest that most of the complaints seemed to come from LHD markets. Looks like the RHD 'dead pedal' (item 1) is larger than the LHD (item 2).

Graham
We complain because in America the left leg is shorter than the right. This is why NASCAR only has left turns and circular tracks, we walk in left handed circles thus we should drive in left handed circles. Anti-clockwise to those of you on the other side of the pond.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

It is possible that it has nothing to do with your Jaguar, but was dropped there by the previous owner from some totally unrelated item.

It seems that if some part of your car is missing that, since it must have some function, or else it would not be there, that you should be able to notice something that is not working properly.

I have found things that were out of place in used cars that I bought, including an Elvis CD in my Jag, as I don't think that it came from the factory equipped with it. The Beatles, perhaps, but not Elvis.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It goes under the gas pedal and acts like a stop - also seems to hold the carpet down

Originally Posted by rrgoldstein
Hi Everyone,

I found a black plastic, round cylinder, about 2 inches wide and about 2.5 inches long, with a hole at one end, loose on the driver side floor, under the dash.

I gave it to my shop to install (along with other items to fix), and, now they don't remember and certainly can't find the piece I gave them. They said they looked under the dash and didn't see any pieces missing.

Can anyone tell me the name of the piece I'm describing and maybe a link to a picture of it, so that I can show it to the shop and hopefully jog their memory. Also, whatever it is, what does it do?

Thanks.

2004 XK8

Quick Reply: What's this part called?