XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's on your Jag's "to do" list?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Received 53 Likes on 19 Posts
Default What's on your Jag's "to do" list?

I've barely had my '00 XK8 for a month, and now it's time to put it into hibernation. What a shame.

What's on your Jag's "to do" list?-1leoz8r.png

Now, like anybody with a new toy I began making plans immediately. As the prior owner didn't have maintenance paperwork the timing chains & all associated hardware had to be done right away. I had planned to do the battery next year; but as it was causing all sorts of behavioral issues I just bit the bullet. I had a list of little cosmetic things here and there that needed attention - but before the car went into storage I took its books and reviewed the maintenance guide to see what else needed to be done mechanically.

Here's my list as it stands today - tasks in the order I plan to do them.

To Do: Immediately out of hibernation
1). Fuel Filter (was due 5,000 miles ago)
2). Tires (Most likely Continental ExtremeContact DWS),
3). Balance & Alignment
4). Inspect steering wheel "knocking" (wheel turns nicely but there's a mild "thunk" felt through the column during turns)
5). Transmission Service

To Do next Spring:
6). Replace damaged Fog Light
7). Replace radio & damaged/rotted speakers (base stereo)
8). Repair Paint chips
9). Replace Convertible Hydraulics with TopHydraulics gear
(maybe headliner at the same time)

To Do next Summer:
10). JagWrangler's Remote Kit

To Do next Fall:
11). Replace leather for drivers & passenger's seat

Completed:
*Battery
*Timing Chains, Tensioners & Guides
*Water Pump
*Serpentine Belt
*Spark Plugs and Ignition Coil #8
*Oil & Filter Change
*Coolant Flush

So. Anyone else got a list? What's on yours?

Old 11-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

The to-do list for my wife's daily-driver 2006 XK8 is completely blank at the moment as her car approaches 113,000 miles. Now that I have typed that, I am sure her car will find a way to take a bite out of my wallet within the next week or so....

Old 11-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

1. Power Steering Pump
2. Convertible Top Headliner
3. Redye leather seats
4. Replace slightly bent wheel with one in basement
5. Differential Oil Service

Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Between now and next spring hoping to get following done:

1) Replace door panel clips both sides.
2) Front suspension, have all the bushes, just need time and dry weather.
2b) Front passenger side wheel bearing, while suspension is apart, possibly do both?
3) transmission filter and oils service.

Old 11-08-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Drive it more...

The following users liked this post:
toaster (11-08-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Since I live in the Palm Springs area in California and the Summers are averaging 118 degrees, that is when I keep mine garaged. The sun can be brutal, and if I do drive it I have to keep the top up. That is also when I do the maintenance on it. Just finished the water pump and cooling system. I generally keep the top down and drive it during the fall and winter. It hardly ever rains here and the temps average in the mid 70's. Next June I plan on replacing the shocks, struts, and the exhaust system. I keep the mileage down to around 200 per year. I love to drive it to Costco on the weekends. Here, the parking lot is filled with exotic cars, Maserati's, Bentley's, Porches, etc. My Jag out shines most of them.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

My '99 XK8 coupe has 79,000 miles on her. I plan to do the following, not necessarily in this order:
1. Rear view mirror repair (currently at Sybesma's)
2. Replace timing chains, chain guides and lower tensioners (upper plastic tensioners done)
3. Flush coolant, replace coolant hoses, coolant, water pump, thermostat & housing, etc. (still attempting to ID and purchase all hoses to replace)
4. Drop oil pan, check for debris and replace gasket
5. Drop transmission pan, R&R A drum
6. Replace cam cover gaskets and VVT o-rings again
Plus other miscellaneous jobs like fastening third brake light, clay bar paint, replace rear brake pads, replace radio face plate
Most of these jobs will be done as preventative maintenance over time.
I am hoping for a nice car lift for Christmas to make some of these a little easier.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:24 AM

Oh man jimmiejag you just put two things on my list!
My rear view mirror has broken (liquid moving about) and my third brake light cover is also loose.
I popped the little rubber nubs from inside the trunk and tried tightening the nuts; this wasn't enough to secure it in place. I suspect I'll need to remove the trunk liner to find more screws.

Where is "Sybesma"? They repair these mirrors?

I'd be interested to see what you find out about the hoses...

Old 11-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

rear suspension - new shocks, lowering springs, bump stops, and all powerflex poly bushings

replace oem front upper shock mounts with Welsh Poly upper mounts

replace ac compressor

December she goes in for her 12 month check up on the transmission rebuild (part of the 2 year warranty)

Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 4,175 Likes on 3,638 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Baker
my third brake light cover is also loose.
I popped the little rubber nubs from inside the trunk and tried tightening the nuts; this wasn't enough to secure it in place. I suspect I'll need to remove the trunk liner to find more screws.
Tom - there is nothing more than plastic clips holding the 3rd brake light cover on the convertible in place. the nuts inside the trunk hold the assembly but the cover just has 2 plastic tabs that snap in place over the brake light assembly.

I will take a picture of the one I have sitting on my workbench when I get home

JagNoir (11-14-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Re: my earlier post in this thread about our rear view mirror fogging problem. The Irish OEM mirror supplier produced some bad mirrors. Jag had them on recall for a while but now the owner has to take care of the problem. If the mirror leaks, which will happen if not fixed, the liquid can harm the shifter and console area. Sybesma Electronics, located in Holland, MI, will re-manufacture your mirror to prevent the fogging and possible leakage for $108: Rearview Mirror Repair Sybesma's Electronics I just got mine back today and will re-install it tomorrow.
Re: coolant hoses. I still have not completed a list of all the hoses, etc., to replace on my XK8, but will post when I do.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My car is in storage for the winter as well. Can't really do to much to it while it's stored, the facility I am in doesn't allow mechanical work to be done on site. Regardless, here is the list for spring:

1) Tires (Most likely Pirelli PZero A/S+),
2) Timing Chains, Tensioners & Guides
3) Water Pump/coolant flush
4) Serpentine Belt, idler and tensioners
5) Fix the third tail light and trunk button
6) Replace convertible hydraulic oil and install pressure relief valve
7) Install handsfree bluetooth kit
8) Replace the oil cooler (rusty)

Lower priorities:

9) Repair Paint chips and small dents
10) Fix headlight washers
11) Replace transmission fluid
12) Replace differential oil
13) Replace power steering fluid
14) Flush and replace brake fluid
15) Replace spark plugs
16) Have driver's side leather refinished
17) Rust survey/mitigation
18) One piece chrome mesh grille

Completed:
*Rear shocks
*Front A-arm bushings (all, polyurethane)
*Driver's door window adjustment
*Oil & Filter Change
*Replaced air filter
*Cleaned MAF sensor
*Cleaned throttle body
*Supercharger oil change
*Replaced wood wheel with 100% leather
*Replaced wood trim with black 3M Dinoc covered trim
*Replaced glove compartment handle

Old 11-11-2017, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the info all- my list just got a little longer. I'm gonna head to the garage today to pull out the rear-view mirror and the 3rd brake light and get those repaired while the car's snoozing.
Odd question - I pulled the wheels off to clean inside the rear wheel arches before storage and noticed this rubber block that looks like it should be holding something:
What's on your Jag's "to do" list?-xad1dgj.jpg

Anyone know what it's for? Is there something missing from my rear suspension? Or is this for the "cats" equipped Jags (mine isn't).

Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

The circled item appears to be a suspension bump stop. Cked a parts diagram and it looks normal. 1per side needed .

Tom Baker (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased a month ago making headway for spring.
To do:
-re-upholster cup holder and arm rest.
-re-upholster A pillar trim with suede
-transmission service.
-coolant flush
-clean headliner
-remove seats and shampoo carpet.
-install jag logo courtesy lights.
-get led headlight bulbs.
-fix 4 way warning light switch.
-fix convertible top switch.
-poly bushing kit

Finished.
-repairing drivers door clip points.
-both knock sensors installed.
-brake flush.
-oil change
-balanced tires
-made my own abs harness for front wheels.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by sklimii
Tom - there is nothing more than plastic clips holding the 3rd brake light cover on the convertible in place. the nuts inside the trunk hold the assembly but the cover just has 2 plastic tabs that snap in place over the brake light assembly.

I will take a picture of the one I have sitting on my workbench when I get home
Just speaking from my experience with my 2002; I just wanted to clarify that the 2 plastic tabs on the cover that INDEED DO snap in place over the brake light assembly, DO NOT UNSNAP except when the base is removed by undoing those three stud nuts from inside the trunk lid. The bottom of the base has 2 access slots molded in the white plastic for a flat blade tool or such to unsnap those 2 tabs. Trying to pry the cover off from the outside will virtually result in a broken tab and possibly a crack or break in the cover itself.

Last edited by Dr. D; 11-13-2017 at 08:51 PM. Reason: studs s/b stud nuts
JagNoir (11-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To Do's

My Victory Edition convertible needs three small access holes repaired and painted in the passenger side door jam and sill. I think they were made in order to do a no-paint dent repair by a previous owner. And the right rear marker lens is cracked and needs replaced. Then, I plan to buy Conti's all around; still have some tread but fronts are wrong size and rears (Pirellis) are more worn. Conti's we're perfect on my earlier 2006 XK8, so I have high confidence I'll like them on this one. Then the cruise control resume button works but is loose; need to check out cost to fix it. At 35,000 miles, most big ticket items are hopefully in future. Carfax showed good maintenance history, but did not include the first body damage repair named above. The car seems a little more loose in general than my first one, so I'm concerned that it may have been in an accident that did some lasting damage that doesn't show in panel gaps, paint, or even mechanical inspections. Still, this car (Seafrost, ash dash, no nav) is a joy to drive and, need I say, clean, polish, and admire.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:23 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Immediate:
tomorrow, change the oil
Soon:
Nano the paintwork, a special pad known as Nanoskin which works like a clay bar.
followed by applying the Sonax Polymer shield product
Early fall:
reapply rustproofing to undercarriage.
test battery
condition leather
eventually:
replace inner plastic structure of glove box, right side screw ear is cracked, salvage one in attic
refinish interior wood, actually a core exchange

Old 08-15-2018, 06:28 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Reed
My Victory Edition convertible needs three small access holes repaired and painted in the passenger side door jam and sill. I think they were made in order to do a no-paint dent repair by a previous owner. And the right rear marker lens is cracked and needs replaced. Then, I plan to buy Conti's all around; still have some tread but fronts are wrong size and rears (Pirellis) are more worn. Conti's we're perfect on my earlier 2006 XK8, so I have high confidence I'll like them on this one. Then the cruise control resume button works but is loose; need to check out cost to fix it. At 35,000 miles, most big ticket items are hopefully in future. Carfax showed good maintenance history, but did not include the first body damage repair named above. The car seems a little more loose in general than my first one, so I'm concerned that it may have been in an accident that did some lasting damage that doesn't show in panel gaps, paint, or even mechanical inspections. Still, this car (Seafrost, ash dash, no nav) is a joy to drive and, need I say, clean, polish, and admire.
the PDR services have little caps for the access holes. it might be a good idea to keep the holes in case you ever need a small blemish worked out. a good body shop can tell you if the car has major structural repair. a place with a computer driven frame alignment machine is your best option. if the car can be aligned, this is a good test that the framework is overall in good condition. your looseness problem might be as simple as worn bushings and other steering and suspension gear.

Jim Reed (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To Do

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
the PDR services have little caps for the access holes. it might be a good idea to keep the holes in case you ever need a small blemish worked out. a good body shop can tell you if the car has major structural repair. a place with a computer driven frame alignment machine is your best option. if the car can be aligned, this is a good test that the framework is overall in good condition. your looseness problem might be as simple as worn bushings and other steering and suspension gear.
One hole (all have plastic plugs) is so near the door opening halfway up the door jamb that it is quite visible. That's really what concerns me. Btw, what are PDR services? I keep thinking of more stuff to fix: left-side dash panel with instruments is loose, suggesting it was taken out at some point, both seats have nickel size rub marks that conditioner doesn't remove, and Seafrost paint is suspiciously too good, especially at the front where my earlier car had more road scratches. Thanks for the alignment and bushings ideas...I'll ask about them when I get the new tires put on.

Search this Thread