XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When you don't listen to the Forum members...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When you don't listen to the Forum members...

I read the posts on the dangers of flushing and filling the radiator, and yet, I let my mechanic talk me out of a gravity drop and fill and into a flush and fill.

The sequence of events:
  • Flush and fill begining of June.
  • Upon receiving the car back, the hoses collapsed after having been driven and the car cooled down.
  • New hoses and belts one week later.
  • Low coolant light came one, but it was only a little low, so I added distilled water (about 10 ounces).
(I have gotten into a habit of checking under the hood both before and after I driving).
  • Two weeks later low coolant light is on again. This time she goes back to the mechanic, who tightens the hose connections and does a pressure test.
  • Low coolant light is on again and I add distilled water (another 10 ounces or so).
  • Hoses collapsing again, so back to the mechanic. He asks me why there is oil in my coolant. I don't know, I'm not doing the work on the car! The transcooler is leaking into the radiator fluid. Hmmm.... Possibly because of the pressure test or the flush? He won't admit that could be the cause.
So now I am getting a new radiator/transcooler installed. Lesson learned - Heed the advice on the forum!!!!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

No other signs of leaks Ann? Pressure test reveal anything out of the ordinary? (besides the oil in the coolant, that can't be good)

Does yours have the plastic or aluminum thermostat housing? Just curious.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  19.3 KB

XSV - firstly please let me say how sorry I am to hear about your troubles and I really do hope you get them fixed quickly and reasonably cheaply....fingers crossed for you there buddy

I'd just like to say though, what a great post you made and one I happen to agree with. I've been on the forums for more than a few years now and have learnt that the info provided in places such as these is very valuable.

Thanks for sharing
Hopefully you'll update us when you get a resolution?

Old 07-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

If you have tans fluid in the coolant you must have the trans drained and refilled as well. I had this problem with my 93 xj-s and what we did was install an external coolant coil just below the radiator isolating the two from each other and ended up replacing the transmission. As for the hoses collapsing this I understood to be a typical problem with the xk8 older hoses. I had this on my 99 replaced them with new heavier hoses and to date no issues. Now the coolant level drove me crazy for a long time. You have two fixes remove the level indicator and replace if necessary and two clean the old one and clean the void it goes in and reinstall.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

A pressure test and flushing the cooling system isnt going to cause the failure. Its coincidental. And one many manufacturers have battled with for years. To the point on my nissan i bypassed the rad cooler to only the external cooler since this is an issue with frontier and xterra radiators. Good luck on the trans cause coolant and the bonding material on the clutch pack material inside the auto trans almost always spell tranny death

Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Veteran member

Brutal, you never finish a post with the words 'broken' 'failure', or 'death'.

cheers <- see?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Matt - no other signs of leaks - yet. Pressure test was normal. Thermostat housing was replaced just before I bought it so I assume it's aluminum, don't really know.

Jim- thanks, I just wish I'd been more assertive. This is what happens when I try to do things myself and leave my husband out of it. He is always asking "do you want me to go in with you" and my response is always "no, I'm not an idiot, I can do this myself". So much for that!

Gus - I wish you hadn't shared that. Now I have more to worry about!

Brutal - Damnit! I wish I'd taken it in to the dealer, but I was trying to save a few bucks. They've done an okay job in the past (although they have had a few do-overs because they weren't right the first time).

I do believe I'm putting her up for sale - like tomorrow. I was already planning on getting a 2007 model next year (which I will still do). I just won't have this one as a trade in.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:36 PM

if theres only tranny fluid in the coolant youde be fine. and since the tranny operates at a much higher pressure when operating thats the normal occurance. its when you shut it off and theres pressure in the cooling system and none in the trans cooler. then coolant can go the other way. But ide check it. And what hose was sucking flat? The lower hose that clamps to the front of the thermostat housing? This is normal which is another reason I ALWAYS pop off the brass check ball on the thermostat. Otherwise as the engine cools in flatens this hose like sucking through a closed straw. It will eventually work it off the t stat housing and blow coolant out everywhere when it comes off. This is the ONLY hose Ive ever seen sucked flat. So I question the diagnosis. How is the trans shifting?
Yea if we were all right the first time we'de never need divorce attorneys
If you want to drop by for a second opinion Ill be working on the patio this weekend trying to finish the outdoor kitchen counter. Let me know and Ill bring my pressure testor...
Matt>>>>>>DEATH, BROKE, TRASHED, FAILURE......CHEERS

THAT BETTER

Old 07-30-2010, 01:37 PM

Well Brutal- at first it was both hoses that went flat. After the brand new hoses were put on it alternated between the one on top and the one going down the side. The most recent collapse was just the one on top (I took a picture but it's on the computer at home). In each case (even with the old hoses on), they expanded as soon as the reservoir cap was opened.

The transmission shifts fine, EXCEPT, when I come to a stop sign and don't fully stop. Then I get a delay before the gear engages causing a jolt (like getting hit from behind). But otherwise it's fine and this is not a new development. Plus, other members have reported experiencing this as well, so I don't consider it an issue.

I don't want to impose, but it would be nice to get some clarification (especially if the diagnosis isn't correct), before I shop it around to the places that buy used cars this weekend.

What kind of beer shall I bring?

Old 07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Look at the 3rd photo down on this post http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairTherHousing.htm

Old 07-30-2010, 02:03 PM

Gus - I don't know if it makes a difference how it collapses, but mine did not look like that. Your picture looks like it is being sucked in just at one spot. Mine was broader, more like being flat along the top length of the hose. I will post a pic when I get home tonight.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:04 PM

Bud Light in Bottles I have the lime
I can almost guarantee it flatens like Ive seen, did I say guarantee
I meen I FEEL, I BELIEVE, ITS LIKELY
DEAD, BROKEN, FAILED....CHEERS

Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 PM

It looks like the saga will have to continue next week. The mechanic that has the car now is keeping it until Monday.

We asked him about replacing the transmission fluid and he doesn't have the ability to do it. (doesn't have the tools/what he needs to do it). But he wants to keep an eye on it. Not exactly sure what that means.

In the meantime, this is what the hose looked like when I took it in.

Attached Thumbnails When you don't listen to the Forum members...-img00073.jpg  
Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Default Update

It appears that there is not any coolant in the transmission fluid (but a sample will be sent off for testing just to make sure). BUT, the transmission fluid is black so it will be getting a partial changeout shortly. Apparently, problems arise when all the transmission fluid is changed out at once, so this will be done in stages.

Otherwise she gets a clean bill of health with only brake pads needed in the upcoming future, so I guess she will continue to reside in my garage.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

good news Ann! Drain and refill is a good idea, after a couple of those, most of the fluid should be replaced, and you shouldn't have to worry about the tranny for another 30-40k miles. I recommend a new filter on this first go-round though.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm happy to say she is now in expert hands so you can bet filters and other ancillary replacements needed will be done.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am so pleased that you did not have evidence of any coolant in the trans, I was less fortunate. You are doing the right thing in having everything checked by people who should know. When you get the car back ask a lot of questions so you are satisfied with the results.