XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where are the Convertible Resistors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Where are the Convertible Resistors?

First, let me apologize to all of the people who were hoping to get one of those plug and play convertible resistors. I had no idea so many people were going to want them. I made and shipped 40, but more and more people kept wanting them. When I originally made the offer I just figured that a few of the regulars would want them. I was kinda overwhelmed by the number of people who wanted them. Late last year I started my own company, and a few months ago things really started to take off. I've been really busy with work lately, and I felt terrible leaving people hanging on the resistor kits, so I tried to get my son to help out. He knows how to solder. I showed him how to make the resistor assemblies, and he told me that I'd need to pay him more if I wanted him to make them. That's when I upped the price to $30, but even though I was going to let him keep all of the $14 or so in profit, he said it wasn't worth it.

So then I figured I'd ask a couple of friends from my former company if they wanted to make them in their spare time. They watched me make one and told me that I needed to charge more. (By the way... after making 47 of these things now, I can do it in about 15-20 minutes) The total cost for parts and shipping is about $16, so I figured $14 in profit for 20 minutes of work was a good deal. They apparently didn't think so.

So then I ran an ad on Craigslist looking for someone who could solder, and briefly explaining what I needed them to do. I got 5 replies. I called all of them on the phone to talk to them, and 4 of them obviously had no idea how to solder. (I asked them what flux was for and they had no idea). One guy seemed legit, so I had him come over. I showed him how to make them. I was going to pay him $10 for each one. That would leave me with roughly $4 in profit after shipping, but I wasn't doing this for profit, I just didn't want to lose money. So I showed him how to make one. I helped him make the next two. Then I gave him the parts to make 7 more. He was going to come back in a day or two and give me 7 completed assemblies and I was going to give him $70. Then I would have him make more as they were needed in groups of 10 (I think I have a waiting list of about 30 right now).

A couple of days later I hadn't heard from the guy. I called him. He didn't answer. I left a message. He didn't return it. After a couple of weeks of this he finally says that he's done with the 7 and wants his $70. He came to my house to deliver the 7, and every single one of them looked like ****. The solder was all effed up. In a couple of them he got the wires backwards so that it would have actually shorted the circuit and blown the fuse if installed. We argued about it. I wasn't going to pay him anything, but in the end I gave him $40 to just go away. All 7 of those were trashed. I couldn't even unsolder the wires and re-use the resistors because I was worried that he had overheated the resistors and the internal solder joint might be bad.

So anyway... I've made 7 more on my own. Those are ready to ship. I already have a huge waiting list, so if you already PMed me asking for one, and you are high on the list, then I'll be PMing you tonight or tomorrow.

If you'd like to just buy a resistor, cut into your existing wiring, and solder the resistor in place, here is the cheapest source for 0.2 ohm 100 watt resistors that I've found. 100W 0.2 ohm 0R2 Aluminium clad Resistor R 100 Watt x 1 | eBay They are about $10 each including shipping.

Sorry if I set the expectations higher than I was able to deliver. I feel really bad about that. Between the greater than expected demand, and the need to make a living, I just wasn't able to keep up.

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 07-20-2011 at 10:38 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
EZDriver (08-15-2011), porkenstein (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You shouldn't feel bad. You went above and beyond trying to get some one to help and it actually cost you money. That's the person I got mine from off ebay. Like I mentioned in another post I made my own and I am not that talented so I think anyone on this site could easily make there own. Probably the simplest job you will tackle on a Jag

Old 07-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I agree Reverend, don't be too hard on yourself, you're only trying to delegate what needs to be done in order to satisfy the masses.

I have a suggestion, since you are swamped right now, I'd let whiteXKR have your design specs; he's already got a couple other 'wiring' kits going on in his 'factory', and I believe he could easily incorporte your product into his accessories lineup if you're willing to give up all that future profit (little sarcasm). He may not be able to guarantee the exact same unit prices you were offering, but the parts will be put together right! you don't even need to show him how to put it solder.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam

If you'd like to just buy a resistor, cut into your existing wiring, and solder the resistor in place, here is the cheapest source for 0.2 ohm 100 watt resistors that I've found. 100W 0.2 ohm 0R2 Aluminium clad Resistor R 100 Watt x 1 | eBay They are about $10 each including shipping.
Hey, Sam, you helped a lot of people. No reason beating yourself over the head about this. Glad to hear your biz is ramping up.

Just a clarification ... you do NOT have to cut the existing wiring if you build your own system. The installation is the same as with Sam's kit, i.e. open an existing connector and install resistor between open ends.
Instructions on pages 3 and 4 of the System Description paper at www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm

(As noted in another thread, I'll be buying some resistors to have on hand. This motivated by the spotty availability of suitable resistors from on-line vendors. I can't offer to build plug-and-play kits, but anyone familiar with soldering or crimping connectors will have no trouble installing. PM please if interested.)

Last edited by Dennis07; 07-21-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling (again)
Old 07-21-2011, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
I agree Reverend, don't be too hard on yourself, you're only trying to delegate what needs to be done in order to satisfy the masses.

I have a suggestion, since you are swamped right now, I'd let whiteXKR have your design specs; he's already got a couple other 'wiring' kits going on in his 'factory', and I believe he could easily incorporte your product into his accessories lineup if you're willing to give up all that future profit (little sarcasm). He may not be able to guarantee the exact same unit prices you were offering, but the parts will be put together right! you don't even need to show him how to put it solder.

My 'factory' is at capacity at the moment cranking out remote top controller modules to satisfy the projected demand plus a larger than expected demand for the gauge conversion harnesses.

Perhaps I can consider making these down the road once things stabilize, but not at this moment.

I'd be looking for a good deal on the IP rights .

Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Rev -

Glad I got mine from you early in the process. Your 'hired help' problems sound so much like it is with the Company I work for. Paying (Wage Scale) +28.00/hr for Common Labor and +36.00/hr for Form Carpenters in the Wash DC Area and can't hire enough. People would rather be flipping Hamburgers or selling Cell Phones at the Mall anymore. Have a Project coming up that needs US Citizens only (approx 25 minimum) and I am not to sure that I will be able to fulfill the req'mts. Getting tough being in Business any more. But not to worry, we will all be speaking Chinese in 20 years.

Anyway, I got my Resistor Pack, good workmenship, good price and good delivery. Top goes up and down with no problems. Hope, you get your frustrations straightened out. Thank you for making this Item...

Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

+1 for appreciation of Reverend Sam's contributions and effort. Along with all the other fine information on this site, it was his photographs of his completed work that first inspired me to order from him, then to try on my own when it appeared he was being diverted by more important matters. Like Porkenstien, I found the work to be within my skills and I managed to build and install my own resistor in about 2 hours.

Minor point, the 0.2 ohm resistor wasn't available when I made my move, so I selected an 0.22 ohm value from Mouser - well within the tolerances of operation, and I haven't had any issues raising and lowering my top.

Thanks again to Rev Sam, and to the other contributors!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve8

Minor point, the 0.2 ohm resistor wasn't available when I made my move, so I selected an 0.22 ohm value from Mouser - well within the tolerances of operation, and I haven't had any issues raising and lowering my top.
Steve,

Your car looks exactly like my car!

Not to split hairs, but a thought on the above: When the numbers are crunched, it turns out that a 0.22 ohm resistor will result in about 50 PSI less peak pressure than 0.20 ohm.

If 0.22 is working well, no way would I suggest messing with it. For someone still in the planning stages though, I think 0.20 ohm would be preferable as an upper bound on resistance value. We've learned (from experience) that some cars need a little more pressure than others to make their tops work properly, and it's possible 0.22 ohm might be getting a little close to the limit in some cars.

Just a recommendation.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad I was one of the firsts. Good to hear your business is getting good. Don't be hard on yourself as what you are doing is a non profit service to this great club.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Will probably see you soon in a brand new XKR as a result of your business.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Felipe Pr
Will probably see you soon in a brand new XKR as a result of your business.
I know some of you may consider this blasphemy, but I don't like the new body style nearly as much as the old body style. If things keep going well, I'm shooting for a Maserati GranTurismo convertible. They are gorgeous, and they actually have enough back seat room to carry two adults. They are a little pricey right now because 2010 was the first year of the convertible version. But in two or three years, who knows...

Old 07-22-2011, 07:08 PM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Dennis, you are right. I looked again at the graph in your report, and see that although I am at a point with pressure greater than "D", I'm still not up where I would be with a 0.2 ohm resistor. So I have indeed lost the additional margin that you planned. So I'll retract my "well within tolerance" statement, and bask in my relatively accidental success and keep the current installation under observation to see how it behaves long term.

Nice job with the report, by the way, I should have credited you originally with boosting my understanding of the resistor method.

I love that color! It made a big impression on me when I first saw the car gleaming in the sun, I knew that I had to have it.

All the best,
Steve

Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top resistor

If one of you will sell me several of the connectors and and resistors and other necessary parts, I will make up several units and send them back to you for evaluation. It will give me an idea of how much time it will take us to make them, and the end cost, and give one of the established members a chance to confirm the wokmanship and decide if I shall make more.

If this seems reasonable, contact me at oxford@surfbest.net

Oxford

Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oxford
If one of you will sell me several of the connectors and and resistors and other necessary parts, I will make up several units and send them back to you for evaluation. It will give me an idea of how much time it will take us to make them, and the end cost, and give one of the established members a chance to confirm the wokmanship and decide if I shall make more ...
Oxford,

Speaking just for me, I don't think you need anyone's sign-off. Pretty sure Sam would not mind your going into the business as he has gotten busy with other things. A lot of people might appreciate a source for plug-and play units.

I've ordered a batch of resistors from an EBay supplier and will pass them along (when they arrive, it sure is slow) to anyone at my cost of $9.00. I won't be able to offer assembled units.

As a reminder, this is everything else you'd need:

- instructions to assemble, install and test your own system are on pages 3 and 4 of the System Description paper at www.scorekeeper.com/jaguar/jaguar01.htm

- The style of connector Sam was using (better, IMO, and not shown in the paper just mentioned) are these, as originally posted by Reko.
180908 Tyco Electronics / AMP Headers & Wire Housings
60249-2 Tyco Electronics / AMP Terminals
42565-2 Tyco Electronics / AMP Terminals
180907 Tyco Electronics / AMP Headers & Wire Housings

And below is the unit as built by Sam. Let us know if you need anything more.

Attached Thumbnails Where are the Convertible Resistors?-resistor-new-style-.jpg  

Last edited by Dennis07; 08-15-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Rev. I purchased a resistor from e-Bay some time ago, and I finally took the time to install it. Everything works good but I am a little surprised that the top and latch are not slower now. I can't really tell any difference with the resistor installed. This car had the hydraulics replaced by the previous owner. maybe that has something to do with it. One evedence that there had been a problem was there was still a puddle of oil under the back seat when I pulled it to do upholstery. One thing that I did that others might consider; I put a note on the resistor explaining what it is, and why it is there, just for some other owner in the future.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks Sam for all your hard work. I got mine out of the first batch and it works fine. Top seems to work as fast as ever and my mind is at ease thanks to you. I enjoy your videos and all your other little tid bits of info. Thanks again. I enjoy your posts.

EZDriver 2000 XK8 1995 XJ6 Long EZ