XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White Smoke with video

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

surely an exhaust gas analysis would show high HC reading if it was oil? coolant shouldn't have any effect . At least that would narrow down your search?

The following users liked this post:
SirJohn (02-14-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Excellent Idea. In the UK we have a process called the MOT test which a car has to pass each year. They stick a probe up the end of the exhaust and test the emissions I am sure you guys have a similar thing.

SirJohn (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
They stick a probe up the end of the exhaust and test the emissions.
With OBDII, the cars now test themselves. The emissions inspection in this state (yes, this is a per-state thing) boils down to running a scan tool on the diagnostics port, plus visual inspections. For older cars (pre '95?), there is still a treadmill and probe...

SirJohn (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

There is no HC sensor in the system, only o2, there will probably be a reduction in O2 from the burning of some of the oil but only an HC analysis will show for sure

SirJohn (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

I left the car to the mechanic today. He is taking care of friend's Morgan for about 10 years now and my friend is highly satisfied with him. My first question was if he had experience with XKRs, and after asking me the year he answered, "yes, I do". He seems to be a reliable person. He was checking some specific points and find out that a huge hose from the radiator (?) to the supercharger is crushed like when you suck from one side of a hose putting a finger on the other side. He told me that there's an uncommon pressure inside the engine and he believes he knows what the cause is. He will doing some testings and give me an answer by Monday. Need your prayers lads. Thanks again for all the support and qualified information. Since I'm not really a cars guy I was part of other forums in the past and this is the first where people give qualified advices.

Last edited by SirJohn; 02-15-2018 at 05:56 PM.
J.A.G. (01-21-2022)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by SirJohn
I left the car to the mechanic today. He is taking care of friend's Morgan for about 10 years now and my friend is highly satisfied with him. My first question was if he had experience with XKRs, and after asking me the year he answered, "yes, I do". He seems to be a reliable person. He was checking some specific points and find out that a huge hose from the radiator (?) to the supercharger is crushed like when you suck from one side of a hose putting a finger on the other side. He told me that there's an uncommon pressure inside the engine and he believes he knows what the cause is. He will doing some testings and give me an answer by Monday. Need your prayers lads. Thanks again for all the support and qualified information. Since I'm not really a cars guy I was part of other forums in the past and this is the first where people give qualified advices.
Lads, Jag us back. Total cost 733, thanks so much for all your support. No smoke, and smooth to drive!

Old 02-22-2018, 02:06 PM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

Great to hear that the problem has been solved, save that mechanics blood! Its worth bottling.
Looks like he did sufficient to repair the car and not ‘find’ other problems as well.
NOW drive the car and enjoy it

Old 02-22-2018, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robman25
Great to hear that the problem has been solved, save that mechanics blood! Its worth bottling.
Looks like he did sufficient to repair the car and not ‘find’ other problems as well.
NOW drive the car and enjoy it
Indeed. I was ready to pay for new valves...

Old 12-27-2021, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 xk8 constant white smoke smells like burning oil

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Sir John,

I've re-read your Post....The Video looks exactly like Sweet Sugar's Start-up 4 years ago.....but as I said, She would also Smoke if I hit it on the Road and now I see that you say It only smokes at start-up......? Also, Sweet Sugar used about a quart of Oil every 200 miles.....If the XKR is not using Oil and you have changed you Oil regularly......It's probably not the Filters!

So, I probably reacted to the Video before I should have.......as Avern1 suggested....Don't pull the Cam Covers yet! I had gotten so accustom to seeing all that White Smoke, I may have over-reacted! It looks identical but if it doesn't smoke on acceleration.......and it doesn't use Oil.....It's probably not the Filters! Does the Smoke smell like Oil? If it does, then it's the Filters, if not, sorry I entered the Thread,,,

Fmertz's idea about the Supercharger Intercoolers would be my next thought as both of them have little radiators inside that the coolant runs through.....a few drops could be collecting or pooling and at Start-up is sucked-up into the initial intake burning it. The charge would not smell as there would be so little ......The way to check this would be by watching the water level each morning and if it is going down a little each day...It's probably an Intercooler leak. If you take them off, take them to a Radiator repair shop.....They can put them through a pressure test just like a Radiator and if you see bubbles, you will need to buy a new Intercooler as you can't get inside to repair the Radiator....

Billy Clyde in Houston
I have a 03 xk8 thick white smoke came out of nowhere With whistling noise smells like burning oil out exhaust

Old 12-29-2021, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03
I have a 03 xk8 thick white smoke came out of nowhere With whistling noise smells like burning oil out exhaust
Start a new thread (suggestion) - still, I understand why you jumped on this one. A new thread will get more focused on your issue(s)... Also a suggestion, add a little more detail. ie. How long have you had your car, did it sit a while, anything lead up to the happenings, etc...?

Old 12-29-2021, 11:48 AM

Hi there! It was my car the one Billy was referring to. I already sold it, but I think it was something different, mine didn’t smell at all, like vapor. It was definitely not oil.

Hope there’s nothing wrong with your car!

Old 12-29-2021, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 jaguar xk8

Originally Posted by BlkCat
White smoke is usually coolant being burned. If it is only doing it once at cold startup I don't think I'd worry about it. If it is happening more it could be the head gasket, head or block cracked... something that would let coolant into the combustion chamber.
I don't think it's Coolant it smells like oil burning out exhaust and it's Constant smoking never goes away just gets worse the longer it runs I don't drive the car it mostly sits

Old 12-29-2021, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,577 Likes on 945 Posts

”……. I don't drive the car it mostly sits

that’s just sad.

A lot more enjoyable to drive one. Maybe selling the car is an option if repairing or having it repaired is not in the cards.

Z

Old 12-30-2021, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

What does,,, "came out of nowhere" mean?
What happened,,, when this started happening,,, and how long ago? When was the last time the car was driven and by whom?