Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do these cars seem to run so hot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Good idea, but

Originally Posted by fmertz
Another thing to reduce the release of heat into the engine compartment is to wrap the exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. I have seen this done before on other cars with great success. Never tried myself...
I agree it would be a great idea, either wrapping or ceramic coating. HOWEVER removing the exhaust manifolds would be quite the ordeal. If I were going to do some heavy exhaust modifications then the headers would be removed and heat wrapped. I would also change to a higher performance cat system and maybe replace the front exhaust system with a X pipe. But just puling the exhaust headers for heat wrapping, I don't know if its worth the agony or the cost involved.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:48 AM
Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/lava-exhaust-wrap

this is the product that my friend recommends: Lava Exhaust Wrap, see link above. His technique for installation is to use a ribbon of the same dimensions to measure what you need for each section, especially good for header installations. you can then cut the product to a good working length.

Last edited by CorStevens; 07-21-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,590 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by fmertz
Another thing to reduce the release of heat into the engine compartment is to wrap the exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. I have seen this done before on other cars with great success. Never tried myself...
you can get away with the wrap on cast iron parts, but not on thin sheet metal like headers and connecting pipes without the metal degrading from excessive heat. I've seen many sets of sheet metal headers that were paper thin and literally crumbled when squeezed. No rust involved, just too much heat that is captured by the wrap and the metal justgets very brittle and burns away.eventually.

z

The following users liked this post:
CorStevens (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by zray

you can get away with the wrap on cast iron parts, but not on thin sheet metal like headers and connecting pipes without the metal degrading from excessive heat. I've seen many sets of sheet metal headers that were paper thin and literally crumbled when squeezed. No rust involved, just too much heat that is captured by the wrap and the metal justgets very brittle and burns away.eventually.

z

I was wondering about the internals of the catalytic converters along the above lines.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:39 PM
Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by zray

z

thanks, would have never thought of that.

my Honda technician used to say about modifications that if something was such a good idea, why did not the manufacturer do it.

sometimes the people who designed and made it are smarter than us

Last edited by CorStevens; 07-22-2018 at 04:42 PM.
toaster (07-23-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHat

...sometimes the people who designed and made it are smarter than us
And sometimes they design stuff like the plastic tensioners, the cup holder and the hydraulic convertible top latch.

Your Honda tech failed to take into account the cost factor vs. greed of manufacturer.

The following 2 users liked this post by rothwell:
CorStevens (07-23-2018), QP7 (10-11-2023)
Old 07-23-2018, 01:45 AM
Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

OEM exhaust manifold gasket for 4.2 SC engines from X350 and X200 cars is a nice alternative to wraps - it contains a full heatshield which goes around exhaust manifold. When I did my 4.2 engine swap I used these gaskets with 4.0 exhaust manifolds without issues. Some bending of car's underbonnet heatshields may be required.

rothwell (07-23-2018)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:11 PM
QP7
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rothwell
I wonder if the perception of heat off the engine bay is related to whether the car has been out in the hot sun for a long period and effectively heating the surrounding area such that radiating engine heat has less of an opportunity to disperse, instead adding to the heat that's already there making the whole front clip ~200F.

I drive my car virtually every day in the Florida heat. When I start from the garage and make a trip long enough to bring engine to full temp I don't notice it when I return. If I drive it after it has been parked outdoors in the sun for a a few hours then I do notice when I park it in the garage. .

This is an execellent post, thank you. I am now realizing that heat is potentially a major issue. When my new to me, 2013 X351 XJ sat outside on the dock in the tropics, beginning this August for 5 - 6 weeks it was hot enough to melt parts of my leather dash. And now I have alternator issues, but have been reading that the cables in the x type (at least) that connect the alternator are sensitive to heat and tend to have high internal resistance.

I am wondiering what other cables, hoses and parts in e.g 2010 - 2014 Jaguars, especially the X351 would not fare well being left out in the summer sun in the tropics for the best part of nearly 2 months... (I also wonder if AGM batteres can cope with the heat in the tropics)

Old 10-12-2023, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 725 Likes on 496 Posts

Its simple ...at idle the water pump does not go quite fast enough ..raise the revs slightly and the temp drops...any body find a slightly smaller pump pulley? A reduction from 112 mm to 100 would be perfect.
You need the electric fans on all the time ...Mine run on half speed at all times. single wire to earth (97 model) does that . a switch for full speed is useful and turn the air con off in traffic.
82 deg C thermostat

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 10-12-2023 at 02:13 AM.
Old 10-12-2023, 04:02 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoreguy
I have owned a lot of different cars over the years and I can't remember any car that seems to through out as much heat as my 2003 XK8.

Call me crazy but, after a drive the car just seems to be very hot under the hood. No wonder coolant hoses and anything rubber or plastic fails in that environment. I have actually gotten in the habit of opening the hood after a drive to help cool things off (I think it helps).

Just looking for other opinions on the issue????????
It does seem warmer when initially opening the hood of the XKR than other front engine cars which put out significantly more heat (Viper, 575M, Corvette, etc.). While this is not as effective as other vehicles, removing the rubber seal at the rear of the hood along the cowl to help hot air escape the engine bay. Other cars have dramatic results, can see heat radiating, where the XKR has small amount of heat radiate out of the cowl after driving but this may have a greater effect while in motion, especially on the 8 without hood vents.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:04 PM
Received 165 Likes on 123 Posts

Make sure you're intercooler pump is working, if it's not the intercooler radiators get really hot and that will cause a lot of heat in the top of the engine bay.