XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will ODBII readers read other faults?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Will ODBII readers read other faults?

I have a 97 XK8 Conv. and I'm getting an intermittent fault. I get a ABS light, traction control failure, stability control failure fault when I start the car. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. When I start the car after having the faults, the ABS light stays on until I drive forward then it goes out and all is good until it starts again. I know everything works correctly when there are no faults. When I have the faults I just turn off Trac just in case it tries to use the system.

I had jag check it out and they got a front left sensor fault. The tech checked the sensor and cable and said they were both fine. Also to bring it back if it happened again but @ $100 + I really would like to be able to check it myself.

So do ODBII readers pull those faults too, or just check engine light faults?

Any reccomendations on readers or do I need to get a software package with a reader to get that info?

Thanks for any help

Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

We started a thread on Approved OBD Code Readers... and 99% of the ones available on the market will only give you general engine and transmission codes...assuming it communicates properly. There are a few 'laptop -n- software' versions, like AutoEnginuity that read so many more 'enhanced' systems, like the ABS you're having problems. With the AE unit, you'll be able to tell if which wheel is having the problem. If its LF, i'd switch it out with the RF, and see if the code moves over there. If it doesn't, its a harness or wiring problem...worse case its the ABS module. I've seen a few needing rebuilding for earlier MY like yours.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Veteran member

PS where you located, you don't have that listed in your profile.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There is a great discussion on the ABSystem in the FAQ at the top of this forum:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3853

It provides details as to how to determine if the problem is the pump or control module. The module has been a common problem and can be repaired by re soldering the circuit board connectors. There is a pictorial on that process around somewhere. If you determine it is the module, and you want to try it, I will try to find it for you. Next choice in module repair is having one of the repair places re solder for you for about $150.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Try this link for the DIY ABS repair http://forums.jag-lovers.org/av.php?1216605k87

This is if you want to pay for a rebuild http://www.modulemaster.com/en/index.php

Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 PM

Thanks guys, I have to look into in. By the Way I'm in St Charles, IL.
I'll make sure to update my profile H20.

I was thinking about swapping the sensors but first I need a way to read the code to see if it switches. I've had the light come on only on start up and a few times while I was waiting at a light but never while driving.

I build machinery for a living so repairing the board is no big deal. I was thinking about it but I've been prett busy at work to give it the proper attention.

Sorry it took so long to respond but like I said, busy at work.

It looks like all the abs sensor wires go into the front drivers side fuse box. Is the board located in the base of the fuse box or is it hiding somewhere else?

Old 04-02-2010, 11:03 PM

Nevermind about the location, I found the pictorial on the jaglovers forum.

Thanks Again

Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Veteran member

let us know what you find.

You're a little far away to loan you my scanner software Dpez. I was hoping I could help you out.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the offer H20, it looks like the AE reader is the only one that will get the whole picture. I looked into the others and none will pull abs info. Now I just have to decide if I want to drop $500 for reading that info. I was going to try that OHM test on the 2 pin connector first to see if the board or pump went bad. If that doesn't do it then I guess I'll need the AE.

Have a few other concerns right now. Looks like I need springs all around. Went for an alignment and they can't get it aligned properly.
From what I can see the camber is out in the back which I believe can only be corrected with new springs. Front situation is a little messed up. I'm thinking spring or the isolator at the top on the driver side. I've attached the alignment readout. I use Firestone because they have a lifetime alginent for $150.00. Payed once and have aligned 4 times so far. Great deal

Attached Thumbnails Will ODBII readers read other faults?-jagalign.jpg  
Old 04-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Veteran member

Just to wrap up your thread Dpez, and you may want to start another one about your alignment.

Many have had the same problems as you on the front/rear. In fact, I did my own thread about it in the XK8/R section...see if you can find it.

To summarize, don't get springs. In order to get your camber back into spec on the front, you'll need new upper shock mounts and the eccentric bolt, if your car doesn't have one installed. Do the lower shock bushings too while you're in there...save you some issues later. Now, once that's done, we always ALWAYS stress a qualified indy shop or a dealer does your alignment. Make sure the load the front wheel before setting toe, or you'll still eat the inside of the tires with too much toe out in the end.

BTW, I paid for a 5-year alignment with NTB (a tire joint) and after so many poor alignments, they just couldnt fully grasp my car, so I swallowed my pride (and $175) and took it to a british car mechanic who deals heavily in jaguars, minis and MGs. Since then, my tires have been perfect for about a year now on their alignment. I'm sold...just hoping to save you some heartache yourself.

For the rear, Jaguar has a shim kit that they install..eazy fix and gets you back into the range.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 AM

Thanks H20, I will start a new thread about the alignment issue. I went to firestone because I had jaguar do an alignment which by the way they send it out to a shop to have done and when I got it back it was horible. Had a popping sound coming from passenger front afterwards. Firestone near me has a few real good guys and wonderful equipment. Use to have them do my mustang, lowered with cast and camber plates etc. Always did an excellent job. I have about 170k on the car so I expect I need to change out the rubber everywhere.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by DpezXK8
Nevermind about the location, I found the pictorial on the jaglovers forum.

Thanks Again
Let us know how you make out.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I use a scanner tool to run diagnostic on my car if the car doesn't start but I still have power in the car? Is there a specific scanner to check if there is a starter/alternator issue?

Old 06-09-2020, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Ignition II should let you use an OBD tool but there are few or no codes for those items.