XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind of change?

Old 04-04-2018, 10:05 PM
Received 119 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Wind of change?

Hi lads, I'm thinking about changing the car. I love it and it is so far the best investment ever. Just regular maintenance, tires, oil change, a couple of hoses, the evap valve and some other valve that was related to the smoking after the "Engine wash" in more than two years.

I paid very low money for it with the idea of having a weekend car (I had an electric car that I sold 6 months later) and ended up using the XKR as my commute car (how can you drive an electric after the V8 with SC?).

I only have a garage for one car (and one for my wife's).
I have six kids and even when we never use the XKR as the family car in some situation I would welcome at least 5 real seats.

Options:
1. I keep the XKR. Don't spend any money (which is always a great idea) and have the car I like, leaving for the future the solutions to some logistic problems I'm already facing.
2. I buy an XJL / Ghibli (Those are amazing cars, but, come on, Miami without a convert?)
3. F... everything and I buy a newer XKR conv, with some more room in the back seats (am I right?) and leave the real solution to this issue for some close future.

Thoughts? Any other ideas? (I wont consider leaving a car not garaged). Thanks!

Old 04-04-2018, 10:57 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

You didn't say what your wife is driving. Buy your wife a later model XE or XF for when you need additional seating. If she insists on an SUV, then look at a used F-Pace. Keep the XKR! These are just suggestions since I have absolutely no idea of what you're looking to spend on a replacement vehicle.

Stu

Last edited by StuG; 04-04-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJohn
... buy a newer XKR conv, with some more room in the back seats (am I right?)
Not in my experience: the X150 has less space in the back, not more.

Faced with the same dilemma as you (well, similar: I have an XK8 coupe but Gosport isn't Miami!), I added an XJ to the stable. It started off as a swap, but when push came to shove I couldn't let go of the XK!

Old 04-05-2018, 03:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

Originally Posted by christ
..... the X150 has less space in the back, not more. .....
+1

And it's even more difficult to get out of the back seat.

It sounds like the XKR owes you nothing and has been very reliable. As a PX it isn't going to realise a lot so keeping it is an attractive option.

That being said, I recently updated after four years with a 2007 XK which was the most reliable Jaguar I've had in over forty five years. The early XK 4.2's are very reasonable now .....

Graham

Old 04-05-2018, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by StuG
You didn't say what your wife is driving. Buy your wife a later model XE or XF for when you need additional seating. If she insists on an SUV, then look at a used F-Pace. Keep the XKR! These are just suggestions since I have absolutely no idea of what you're looking to spend on a replacement vehicle.

Stu
My wife has a 2017 Mercedes Metris which is the family car. How can we put 6 kids into an XE or XF? I think “trunk” is not a valid answer or legal option :-P

Old 04-05-2018, 07:09 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

First off, congrats on managing to own a 2+2 seater with a family of 8. I grew up in a larger family than that and while most of the kids were at home a minivan it was. For my parents it was only early in marriage and later after most of the kids left the nest that they had toy cars. I only have two little ones at the moment but the XK has been like birth control, since I figure if a third ever came I couldn’t justify keeping her (the convertible, that is).

That said, I recently placed mine up for sale (again, the convertible) and had a hard bite immediately. I got cold feet and am reconsidering selling it. My thinking is, what would I replace it with that would provide the same level of enjoyment? The XK series are some of the most beautiful automobiles on the road in my opinion, and I am a sucker for pretty things. Yes, it sits in the garage more than I would like, but every time I drive it it reminds me there is nothing else quite like it.

In the end only you can decide how important it is to keep the Jaguar around.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
First off, congrats on managing to own a 2+2 seater with a family of 8. I grew up in a larger family than that and while most of the kids were at home a minivan it was. For my parents it was only early in marriage and later after most of the kids left the nest that they had toy cars. I only have two little ones at the moment but the XK has been like birth control, since I figure if a third ever came I couldn’t justify keeping her (the convertible, that is).

That said, I recently placed mine up for sale (again, the convertible) and had a hard bite immediately. I got cold feet and am reconsidering selling it. My thinking is, what would I replace it with that would provide the same level of enjoyment? The XK series are some of the most beautiful automobiles on the road in my opinion, and I am a sucker for pretty things. Yes, it sits in the garage more than I would like, but every time I drive it it reminds me there is nothing else quite like it.

In the end only you can decide how important it is to keep the Jaguar around.
thank you! I mostly use the car for commute (alone) and we date with my wife every Friday. Actually when I told her about selling the XKR she was like, why????

From time to time, I have to pick up kids at Karate or other activities. In those cases I have to move the seat forward way more than what my body allows.

So I’m in a crossroad. I also evaluated other coupes and convertibles like Audi, BMW and Mercedes and (please take this into context, those are amazing cars) comparing to the XKR they are a joke.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Sir John: Keep the XKR for fun and buy a cheap XJ8L. I know the cost of insurance is astronomical in Fla, but a 2017 Merc? The XJ8L has room for 5 comfortably and is a wonderful driver and visually puts other cars to shame. I'm test driving one with 100K on it in about 20 Minutes.

John S.