XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind deflector mounting hole?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I think we have the same part number but different revision. The cylinder on mine that goes through the side panel does not have standard threaded end and hex bolt. Mine have the bolt end cut off, reduced the rubber shim thickness and use those bright "nuts" in bottom left to screw on to the shaft.

Last edited by stevepaa; 01-30-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a stronger fixing.
I put a metal plate at the back to give it a bit more stength.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM

I suspect so as there is only one rubber cushion, so the torque exerted on the hole fitting during installation should be less.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
Hey Steve, good luck on fining a reasonably priced OEM wind deflector for a decent price. There are some on eBay but the prices are high, although all but 1 seems to be new, and the used on doesn't have keys. You asked me where I got mine and I realized I didn't respond, I got it on eBay, but was lucky as it had 3 keys with it, and part of the deal was a like new OEM tonneau cover with storage bag as well. I already had a cover, but mine was an aftermarket which seems to have stretched a bit and was saggy, and it never really fit correctly anyhow, and i didn't have a bag for it. Also, in my post on how I mounted mine, you saw how I mounted it into the top trim piece rather than below into the panel where the speakers are. I mentioned how I thought mine was mounted too high and I was considering adding additional lower mounts so that I had the option of lower and upper mounting. Well I looked at the panel with the speakers and it is just a cardboard like material which for me, with the home made mounts I am using, I felt this was not an option. The top piece where I have my mounts is actually made of plastic which holds my T nuts and screws better. Instead of lowering the mounting holes, I lowered the entire unit by flipping the locking mechanisms from side to side, so now the locking pin is about an inch and a half lower and is perfect. That doesn't seem much lower, when when looking at it, it really makes a big difference and seems correct to me now. Lastly, if you end up buying a used deflector without keys, I have 3 and would be willing to send you one. I have no idea if it would work, maybe they all are the same. Just let me know if it comes to that and I will send you one.
Steve I realize this Thread is "Ancient" but I find myself in the same trouble...

I have been Blessed to find a Dream Come True!!! I have purchased a 1998 XK8 with 27,000 Original miles. She is Absolutely Gorgeous!!! But I have a problem that I hope this Forum can help me resolve. The Convertible came with the Original Tonneau Cover still in its Original Bag. Also the Wind Deflector and you can Guess my problem. That's right NO KEYS!!! I have a Locksmith that tells me he can help me with some information. So Please if anyone can Help first and foremost with a Photo of one of these Original Keys. That would be Absolutely Wonderful. Second if there maybe any codes/numbers on the Keys. That would be Great also. Thank You in Advance.

...I placed or started a Thread with this post a couple weeks ago with no success. Steve if you see and read this please let me know if you still have the Key? Thank You.

Attached Thumbnails Wind deflector mounting hole?-1998-xk8-wind-deflector-key-hole.jpg   Wind deflector mounting hole?-1998-xk8-wind-deflector-.jpg  
Old 11-24-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Ronbo
So Please if anyone can Help first and foremost with a Photo of one of these Original Keys. That would be Absolutely Wonderful. Second if there maybe any codes/numbers on the Keys. That would be Great also. Thank You in Advance.

...I placed or started a Thread with this post a couple weeks ago with no success. Steve if you see and read this please let me know if you still have the Key? Thank You.
This is stevepaa. I can send you a pic when I get back home next week.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:08 AM

That's Great Thank You Steve

Old 12-08-2019, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by stevepaa
This is stevepaa. I can send you a pic when I get back home next week.
Thank You Steve Please don't forget me. Thank You and Great Holidays to You and Your Family.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Default key

Sorry for delay.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:02 AM

Excellent!!! Thank You Very Much Steve Please Have Happy Holidays