XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Problem When Opening Door.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Window Problem When Opening Door.

Stored my 2003 convertible in my hangar for about 6 weeks this winter.
Didnt notice driver window as about half open.
Hangar has a peaked roof with cap on top that will let rain under it if wind is strong enough.
Noticed 2 weeks ago, sure enough the driver's door was wet and some rain had also got into the car.
Wiped everything down with paper towels and a few days later took car for a short drive. Interior was dry, and there was no musty smell.
Brought the car home today with a few stops along the way.
Noticed that when the door was opened, the window would lower as designed, but it would not go back up when closed. If you opened and closed the door enough, the window would eventually go all the way down.
This is no big deal, because once you're in the car you just press the up button. If you're leaving the car, you have to raise the window before you close the door.
But, I would like to fix it.
Wondering if anyone has experienced this, and what was the fix??
Thanks
Jack

Old 02-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Your windows just need to be “reset.” It sounds like your battery either died while in storage or is at a low enough voltage that it won’t hold the window’s memory. It also happens if you have disconnected and reconnected the battery.

To reset windows:

Sit in the car, close both doors, and turn the ignition on. Press and hold both window switches on the driver’s door in the down position until the window bottoms out and you will hear a click or pop in both of the doors a second or two afterwards (this can be done together or one at a time, it doesn’t matter). Then press and hold both switches in the up position until the windows are all the way up and you will hear the click or popping sound again. Your windows have been reset.

I’d charge up your battery or get it checked out.

The following users liked this post:
TexRoddy (02-22-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

Try resetting the relay. lower the window all the way and keep holding the button until you hear a click. That should reset the relay and allow it to work as it should. If that does not work. Notice if the interior lights come on when you open the door ...if they don't it probably means the "door ajar" micro switch is faulty. This affects window operation as well. The switch can be bought separately. Try the search function for threads on the switch

Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by chillyphilly
Your windows just need to be “reset.” It sounds like your battery either died while in storage or is at a low enough voltage that it won’t hold the window’s memory. It also happens if you have disconnected and reconnected the battery.

To reset windows:

Sit in the car, close both doors, and turn the ignition on. Press and hold both window switches on the driver’s door in the down position until the window bottoms out and you will hear a click or pop in both of the doors a second or two afterwards (this can be done together or one at a time, it doesn’t matter). Then press and hold both switches in the up position until the windows are all the way up and you will hear the click or popping sound again. Your windows have been reset.

Sounds like you've nailed the problem.
The battery did die after I drove it a few weeks ago. Drive was short and I knew the battery was low.
I put the battery charger on it yesterday and it fired right up today.
I'll try the reset in the morning.
Thanks for the very detailed reply.
Jack

Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by USCANAM

Sounds like you've nailed the problem.
The battery did die after I drove it a few weeks ago. Drive was short and I knew the battery was low.
I put the battery charger on it yesterday and it fired right up today.
I'll try the reset in the morning.
Thanks for the very detailed reply.
Jack
Couldn't wait till morning.
Just went out to garage and both door windows reset as instructed.
Thanks again
Jack

Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,795 Likes on 12,165 Posts

As you now know, losing the window presets is a classic early warning of a failing battery.

If you usually winter store the vehicle for several weeks, it really needs to be on a battery tender.

Graham

Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chillyphilly

To reset windows:

ChillyPhilly,
I just saw your post on the window reset. It is pouring here in Texas and my windows will not completely close. I believe that the mechanic disconnected my battery while he was working on my jag.

Thanks for the post

Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
As you now know, losing the window presets is a classic early warning of a failing battery.

If you usually winter store the vehicle for several weeks, it really needs to be on a battery tender.

Graham
Thanks Graham
Good advise
Will do
Jack