XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window seals issues / help identify parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Window seals issues / help identify parts?

Hiya fellas,
I’ve got loads of questions to do with window seals etc, if you’ve had experience with these bits I could use some help. Mainly to identify the parts. Right-o, here goes:

First up, this little guy:

It goes around the inside of the front and rear windshields, it seems to have shrunk a lot (due to heat?) and now there’s a massive gap where the ends would normally meet, it just pulls out too (doesn’t seem right). Anyway, it must need replacing, anyone know the name or code for this part?

Next:

Ugh, this ones a pain. So this is right in the corner of the boot lid (where it meets the rear window), it seems to have shrunk a little too but the real pain with this one is that I can pull it and plug it back into place BUT the very next time I open and close the boot - the boot’s corner presses down on the rubber a pulls it back out!!! Argh, help 😥

Now, two more 😜:

This one I know about, seems to be a common one, it’s the middle section of the top right hand door seal, water’s got in, started to rot, rubber’s peeling off. All I need to know is what’s this bit called? And any suggestions where sells them?

And lastly:

Another common one, both rear side window seals are falling off, apparently it’s due to little brackets or clips corroding. Same again, what are they called and where do I get’em?

Thanks in advance for any and all help! 😃

Old 06-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Well - there's good news and bad news …….

most of the parts (if not all) are still available - I suggest you go online to S N G Barratt (sngbarratt.com) who supply pretty much everything you need. It is also worth getting their printed catalogue as an invaluable reference document - a fantastic resource with part numbers, diagrams etc.

The bad news - the rubber seals and other sealing strips and odds and sods are all extremely expensive. The rubber seal that goes round the rear window on the coupe (part number GJA2231AF) will cost you £472.00. That's £50.00 short of £1k if you do both sides.

Start saving up now !!

Old 06-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Wow, that is pricy, luckily I only need to replace the clips on that part, has anyone ever documented a guide for that?

I’m still struggling to identify the other parts, but from what I’ve seen they look pricy too.

Has no one ever produced these as 3rd party / aftermarket? If people are paying in the hundreds for simple strips of rubber it would seem there’s a market for it, I know if I had the means I’d have a look at it!

Old 06-05-2018, 02:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

There's lots of useful information on trim removal in the Preparation for Painting manual. You can download it free from the forum MediaFire account:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u7688j...nting.pdf/file

It's a 7mB PDF.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
avern1 (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 03:20 PM

That is an excellent source of information! I can see myself using that guide for all sorts. Thanks!

Sadly though, it doesn’t help identify these parts, the windscreen seal for example is made of at least three different parts (one of which I need), the painting guide simply refers to the lot as the “finisher” 😔

Old 06-05-2018, 05:36 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by norfskate
..... the windscreen seal for example is made of at least three different parts (one of which I need), the painting guide simply refers to the lot as the “finisher” ��
CORRECT - the seal is a metal/rubber bonded composite supplied as LH and RH sides. There are no sub components available. The fronts are £175 each.

Window seals issues / help identify parts?-windscreen.jpg
(double click on the image to enlarge it)

The door waist rails are a similar construction and are a far more usual fail than the front or rear screen seals.

Graham

Old 06-05-2018, 05:57 PM

Aw gawwd..., I feel a botch coming on 😅

Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

I've had my front screen replaced 3 times in my ownership of 13yrs, appreciate I've done over 100k miles, so understandable. In all cases they replaced the surround, seals and clips as well as the screen for the cost of my £70 windscreen excess.

I did ask on the last change whether the rear would be covered and my insurance co confirmed that it would.

The clips for the side quarterlight mouldings aren't that expensive and each side (from memory) uses four.

One that gets me is the door drip strip (that cleans the glass of moisture when lowered), they do corrode and now not available from Jaguar, so you have so use 3rd parties or else buy a whole door with a good one fitted from a scrappy..new/old stock are upwards of £350 each side!!

Old 06-05-2018, 06:27 PM

Ha, I was just now wondering if my insurance company would replace my windscreen, if so, surely I’d need to have a good reason?

Yup, the side window clips are definitely on my shopping list, anyone got a name/code for them?

Old 06-06-2018, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by norfskate
Ha, I was just now wondering if my insurance company would replace my windscreen, if so, surely I’d need to have a good reason?

Yup, the side window clips are definitely on my shopping list, anyone got a name/code for them?
Yes the glass would need to be broken and irreparable

Will dig out the part number for the clips...but you can instead just call your friendly main dealer and they'll give those to you...when you do please post up here?

Old 06-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Slight update:
I called my insurance, right enough, if the glass (front or back) is damaged, £75 gets it replaced. HOWEVER... knowing how expensive and hard to find the rubber seals are, I dug further, and talked with the company that changes the glass (on behalf of the insurer), who told me that although they can source the glass, they cannot replace the rubber seal, and they will want to reuse the existing rubber seal (which is faulty, and kinda the whole point of this!). Ugh, I can honestly see me just throwing some silicone sealant at this!

Oh, also, I did think about calling my local Jag dealer for the clip parts, but my ex is the receptionist and she reeeeeeally doesn’t like me 😅
Suppose I could call the next nearest one 🤔