Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window setting after replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 12:34 AM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Window setting after replacement

Hi guys,

My dear 2005 XK8 got broken into 2 week ago, the passenger window was smashed to bits. Anyway, Safelite (a glass company) replaced it however, there's some wrong with it. When I hold the handle to open the door, it drops down as it should...however, if I release it, the window when roll back up again immediately..... therefore when I closed the door...I have to either hold the handle TO close and press the door to close properly or i have to roll down the window slightly and roll it back up....any idea if this is just a programming issue?

How do I re-program it? I tried the hold the switch for 5 seconds but it didn't work.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:07 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

It looks like a problem with the door latch mechanism. There is a micro switch which activates and holds the window down while the door is open . I had the same problem and fitted a replacement catch mechanism (used) . I am not sure if you can just swap the micro switch. Since you had damage to the window perhaps a wire is broken or a contact or plug has become dislodged.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

I would hope Safelite disconnected the battery during the glass replacement procedure. I certainly wouldn't be putting my fingers into the regulator assembly with the power on!

JTIS - XK8 Door Window Glass.pdf

If they did, then the travel limit switches must be reprogrammed. To do this, power the window fully down and hold the switch for a few seconds until you hear a soft click. Next power the window fully up and again hold the switch until you hear a soft click. The issue you describe does sound more than just the limit switches needing to be reset but it's worth eliminating this first.

I agree with Davidsw that it could be a problem with the door latch. The simplest could be just the harness connector not seating properly. After that it is likely to be one of the microswitches failing.

The door latch assembly is a terrifying cost even as a used part but fortunately the microswitches are available separately from Jaguar (Part Number C2N1908). Also available elsewhere at lower cost.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
zidjan (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts

Did you hold the switch five seconds for both full up and full down, or just one direction? Both directions are required.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

make sure the doors are closed

Old 03-20-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

If resetting the windows does not work see this thread starting at post#6, replacing the micro switch is an easy job and costs less than $10. I just had to do my passenger side also and the second time it took about 30 minutes to complete.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-118210/

zidjan (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by marvin.d.miller
Did you hold the switch five seconds for both full up and full down, or just one direction? Both directions are required.
Originally Posted by dodgerjames
make sure the doors are closed
Originally Posted by GGG
I would hope Safelite disconnected the battery during the glass replacement procedure. I certainly wouldn't be putting my fingers into the regulator assembly with the power on!

Attachment 108249

If they did, then the travel limit switches must be reprogrammed. To do this, power the window fully down and hold the switch for a few seconds until you hear a soft click. Next power the window fully up and again hold the switch until you hear a soft click. The issue you describe does sound more than just the limit switches needing to be reset but it's worth eliminating this first.

I agree with Davidsw that it could be a problem with the door latch. The simplest could be just the harness connector not seating properly. After that it is likely to be one of the microswitches failing.

The door latch assembly is a terrifying cost even as a used part but fortunately the microswitches are available separately from Jaguar (Part Number C2N1908). Also available elsewhere at lower cost.

Graham
Originally Posted by Jandreu
If resetting the windows does not work see this thread starting at post#6, replacing the micro switch is an easy job and costs less than $10. I just had to do my passenger side also and the second time it took about 30 minutes to complete.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-118210/
Wow you guys are way too helpful :-) ...thank's a lot...I did try the the 5 seconds in both direction...I'll try it again later during my lunch break.
However....ok I think I will go ahead and order those switches and change them ..unless you guys can recommend other ideas to eliminate before doing that work.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Not 5 sec - wait until you hear the dull click. It could be longer (but less than 30 sec).

zidjan (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by jimforrest (uk)
Not 5 sec - wait until you hear the dull click. It could be longer (but less than 30 sec).
It didn't work! I guess I'll order those micro switch and watch Rev Sam's video over and over and over again.... 2 shots and a few beers should be able to give me enough confidence and courage to take on the job...my other only DIY on this car is replacing the purge valve :-)

Old 03-20-2015, 06:02 PM

I've re-read the thread. Maybe you don't need a new switch at all. The chap fitting the window has almost certainly knocked it. Take a look and check it's activated by the window.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:48 PM

I've re-read the thread. Maybe you don't need a new switch at all. The chap fitting the window has almost certainly knocked it. Take a look and check it's activated by the window.
Ooh how would you check it? take it back to the shop I suppose? and say what? they knocked the switch over?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member

Nope I don't think they could dislodge the micro switch replacing the window. This is a very common problem with the switches. Order two, the other side will need it sooner or later. I have some photos of the latch out and replacing the switch. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:11 PM

Nope! There is a 'standard law' which basically says -

The tv is broken
Did you bugger about with it
Yes
Deny it, shred the evidence, kill yourself (depending on how intense the pressure is)

What I'm saying is that it's just too much of a coincidence that a window that worked perfectly, suddenly doesn't work after it's been tampered with. Either the new window isn't quite the same. or the switch has been dislodged. Switches don't break when they aren't doing anything. (Assuming that the person wasn't a real dumbo and physically broke the switch).

Check the switch.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

With these cars anything is possible but the switch is securely mounted on the latch assembly and bolted to the door at the strike, the business end of the switch is inside the lock mechanized. Having replaced two of these I don't see how replacing the window could have dislodged it but I've been wrong before and will be again!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:19 AM

Nope! There is a 'standard law' which basically says -

The tv is broken
Did you bugger about with it
Yes
Deny it, shred the evidence, kill yourself (depending on how intense the pressure is)

What I'm saying is that it's just too much of a coincidence that a window that worked perfectly, suddenly doesn't work after it's been tampered with. Either the new window isn't quite the same. or the switch has been dislodged. Switches don't break when they aren't doing anything. (Assuming that the person wasn't a real dumbo and physically broke the switch).

Check the switch.
Nope I don't think they could dislodge the micro switch replacing the window. This is a very common problem with the switches. Order two, the other side will need it sooner or later. I have some photos of the latch out and replacing the switch. Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send them to you.
With these cars anything is possible but the switch is securely mounted on the latch assembly and bolted to the door at the strike, the business end of the switch is inside the lock mechanized. Having replaced two of these I don't see how replacing the window could have dislodged it but I've been wrong before and will be again!
You guys are both right...haha... I was thinking the same thing....it's such a coincidence that the switch quits after the glass been replaced but at the same time...why the glass has anything to do with the switch...based on what I saw from REV Sam video it was inside the lock mechanism and isolated from the glass work supposedly......anyway...my email is zidjan.arie@gmail.com Jandreu...thank's in advance.

Last edited by zidjan; 03-21-2015 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:33 AM

What is important Zidjan is that you find the real cause and let us know. Then we will all make our excuses (for being wrong!), or gloat accordingly. But most important - you will have added to the communal intelligence pool on these ruddy complicated cars!

Old 03-21-2015, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Attached photos here for all to see.

Be very careful when setting up the micro switch and bending the lever. You want the switch to activate just as the door latches, this tells the window to go up.

I attached my VOM to the wires and activated the lock by hand to test, give it a try, after actually seeing this it will become apparent. Be sure to secure the switch when testing as the setting is somewhat delicate and if the switch is loose you may be off.

The old switch just prys out, I found that a #4, I think, countersink screw worked well to reattach the new switch, the plastic switch housing is just about correct for it to thread through. You may have to run a drill bit through to make it fit with out binding. Be sure to counter sink the screw heads, I used a 1/4" drill bit. This side of the latch press against the door frame and if the screw heads are proud the latch will not sit correctly.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource see this link at the end to understand how to test the switch with the VOM.

Photo 2 is the new switch installed, photo 3 is the new switch wired, photo 4 is the old switch removed showing lever orientation, photo 5 shows the lock orientation to get out out of the door. Getting the lock out can be a PIA, it's one of those things that when you get it correct it just slides out, don't try to force it, it will come out when orientated correctly. The window must be all the way up.

Attached Thumbnails Window setting after replacement-handle-connecting-rod.jpg   Window setting after replacement-new-switch-installed.jpg   Window setting after replacement-new-switch-wired..jpg   Window setting after replacement-old-switch-orintation.jpg   Window setting after replacement-removing-door-lock.jpg  

Last edited by Jandreu; 03-21-2015 at 12:14 PM.
jamdmyers (03-22-2015)