XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tint... yes or no?

Old 05-01-2019, 09:26 AM
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Window tint... yes or no?

Hiya folks,
So I’m a bit stumped here, see, normally I think window tint looks rubbish, but, there are some cars that I think genuinely suit window tint (usually exotic stuff, like Lambos etc).
But I just can’t decide if X100’s suit it or not, what do you folks think?

Also, if you’ve got tints, let’s see some pics? :-)

Old 05-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,336 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by norfskate
Hiya folks,
So I’m a bit stumped here, see, normally I think window tint looks rubbish, but, there are some cars that I think genuinely suit window tint (usually exotic stuff, like Lambos etc).
But I just can’t decide if X100’s suit it or not, what do you folks think?

Also, if you’ve got tints, let’s see some pics? :-)

I plan on getting window tint on mine. I don't care if it looks like rubbish. My car has a black interior, and window tint would help keep it a bit cooler in the summer. That is all I care about.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:19 AM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts

My two cents: Window tint varies both my darkness and quality,,, IF you do get tint, pay extra for Ceramic or whatever is currently the BEST (with a lifetime warranty) - the worst is when you see wrinkly, crappy tint jobs. The darkness of the tint is normally regulated by the local government so that will determine how dark you can go. I live in South Florida so window tint is a MUST. Here is a pic of my car... I probably would have liked a tad darker on the sides but I am very happy with it (the installer went lighter on the sides since it is a convertible so it wouldn't look bad with the top down and the windows up - which wouldn't have bothered me anyways).

The following 2 users liked this post by blindside:
Orthodixie (05-17-2019), User 070620 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I plan on getting window tint on mine. I don't care if it looks like rubbish. My car has a black interior, and window tint would help keep it a bit cooler in the summer. That is all I care about.
In case you were wondering how it would look...

The following 5 users liked this post by rothwell:
DavidYau (05-02-2019), giandanielxk8 (05-01-2019), indyx358 (02-04-2024), JimmyL (02-05-2024), User 070620 (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Received 265 Likes on 197 Posts

No!!! I can't believe that there is a need for it in Scotland like there is in Florida, and also the law in the UK doesn't allow much tint on front side windows anyway. Altogether too drug-dealer.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
No!!! I can't believe that there is a need for it in Scotland like there is in Florida, and also the law in the UK doesn't allow much tint on front side windows anyway. Altogether too drug-dealer.
correct, there’s nae need, I’m strictly talking aesthetics :-P
I’m still on the fence though, rothwell’s photo looks pretty good! I’d like to see that car from the back, the back window is such a large part, it’s the “toy car” look I’d want to avoid :-P

Old 05-01-2019, 01:55 PM
Received 685 Likes on 341 Posts

I love the tint on a hot and sunny Texas day. I despise the tent driving at night.

I think I just need two cars.

The following users liked this post:
thegreatgarbanzo (02-07-2024)
Old 05-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

correct, there’s nae need, I’m strictly talking aesthetics :-P
I hate to tell other people what to do, so here I go without judgement (or so I hope ):

Our XK8 came with the darkest window tint on sides and rear, and just a slightly lighter one on the front.
I absolutely hated the look of the car, and although unscheduled, started removing it on a rainy Saturday morning (no way back once you start pulling...).

I personally think the OEM green tinted windows do match the silver body much better, and although living in the tropics, I do not see any negative results (but I do park the car inside if not used).

If I will ever add a tint again, I will go for a much lighter one, like something we have on our Vanden Plas.
That one is quite transparent at sunless days & at night, and reflective if the sun shines.

DavidYau (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rothwell
In case you were wondering how it would look...

I love that you photshopped the tint onto the photoshop of the dorchester grey wheels you did of my car. I think it looks great! Thanks Rothwell!

Old 05-02-2019, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

The worst is the DYI job that bubbles or turns purple. Here in S.W. Fla. again it is a necessity if you value your car and your comfort. Law limits level on sides. UK probably would need lights inside the car??

Old 05-02-2019, 07:29 AM

Right-o, bonus round:

Where are we on “smoked” headlights and tail-lights?

I seen a X100 with blacked out tail-lights recently and I thought it looked awful!
BUT, I reckon, and this goes for window tint too, that the colour of the car makes a big difference, it was a silver X100 that I seen with the rubbish blacked lights, but I think a black car with black tail-lights would look great.

Any photos?

Old 05-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

I have all my cars tinted to the legal limit, I think it's 35 in NC. Keeps the car much cooler and I like the look, HOWEVER,

as as a motorcycle rider I hate cars with window tint to dark to see the driver clearly. Biker needs to be able to see the driver of a car for safety. So, if you tint please, please pay special attention to motorcycles. Do not roll, even slightly, while at a stop sign or making a cross traffic turn with an on coming bike, that scares the crap out of a biker.
Thank you, the life you save may be a biker friend of yours.

JimmyL (07-16-2021)
Old 05-02-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
I have all my cars tinted to the legal limit, I think it's 35 in NC. Keeps the car much cooler and I like the look, HOWEVER,

as as a motorcycle rider I hate cars with window tint to dark to see the driver clearly. Biker needs to be able to see the driver of a car for safety. So, if you tint please, please pay special attention to motorcycles. Do not roll, even slightly, while at a stop sign or making a cross traffic turn with an on coming bike, that scares the crap out of a biker.
Thank you, the life you save may be a biker friend of yours.
Thats interesting, I assume you need to see the driver so you know wether or not they’ve looked and seen you?

Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Right-o, bonus round:

Where are we on “smoked” headlights and tail-lights?

I seen a X100 with blacked out tail-lights recently and I thought it looked awful!
BUT, I reckon, and this goes for window tint too, that the colour of the car makes a big difference, it was a silver X100 that I seen with the rubbish blacked lights, but I think a black car with black tail-lights would look great.

Any photos?
If you want dark tail lights, the only right answer is to source them from a Victory Edition X100.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Default Tinted just right and Victory's Editions to match

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
If you want dark tail lights, the only right answer is to source them from a Victory Edition X100.
This is what you need GiandanielXK8.....

2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe - Onyx/Ivory - BBS 20" "Montreal" Wheels

2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe - Onyx/Ivory Medium Tinted Windows - Victory Edition Tail Lights with LED Bulbs

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 05-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Default Giandaniel XK8 and here itis from the Front

2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe - Onyx/Ivory - Osram DTRL
Originally Posted by bcprice36
This is what you need GiandanielXK8.....

2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe - Onyx/Ivory - BBS 20" "Montreal" Wheels

2005 Jaguar XKR Coupe - Onyx/Ivory Medium Tinted Windows - Victory Edition Tail Lights with LED Bulbs

Billy Clyde in Houston

Johnken (05-19-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I am well aware of the beauty that is your car Billy Clyde. If I had a black car, I would try to spec it just like yours.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member

giandanielxk8....

I wanted everybody to see the results of my Saturday Morning's work....It took about 3 hours in all....I bought a Mother's 2.0 Speed Clay "thingmezig" and sprayed Griot's "Spray on Car Wash" on as the base....Then took off all around the car! The Mother's Speed "Claymezig" worked very well and was a lot faster than a "Clay Bar"...When I finished the Paint was as smooth as Glass! Honestly, It was amazing how smooth it was.....Then I coated the entire car with this new F-11 Top Coat stuff that everybody has been talking about.....Now you've just seen the difference! It kind'a looks like a mirror.....and again, it is smooth as glass!!!

The last time I Clayed the car, it took most of the Week-end and I used 3 Clay Bars...constantly working the Clay over and over...It was a job...I did this whole Car in about an Hour and 20 minutes,,,and the Top Coat went on in about 35 or 40 minutes...I don't know what's in F-!! but it sure does shine pretty! Now, I have to wait and see how long the shine last before I have to hit it again....The advertisement said I should do it again soon or as needed....said that I should pour water on the car and if it was slow to run off in spots, it was time to shoot the F-11 on it again....We'll see how it goes......Keep that XK8 Happy!

Billy Clyde in Houston

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
DavidYau (05-05-2019), Johnken (05-19-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Norskate, that's exactualy correct. Bikers need to know the driver sees them.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by blindside
My two cents: Window tint varies both my darkness and quality,,, IF you do get tint, pay extra for Ceramic or whatever is currently the BEST (with a lifetime warranty) - the worst is when you see wrinkly, crappy tint jobs. The darkness of the tint is normally regulated by the local government so that will determine how dark you can go. I live in South Florida so window tint is a MUST. Here is a pic of my car... I probably would have liked a tad darker on the sides but I am very happy with it (the installer went lighter on the sides since it is a convertible so it wouldn't look bad with the top down and the windows up - which wouldn't have bothered me anyways).

Pic Removed for Space
Beautiful car! Love the wheels too and I'm not normally a fan of aftermarket wheels on these; but those are sharp. The tint looks real nice too.

I've wondered about tint on my convertible. Did you end up tinting the rear window in the top, and if so, do you have any pictures to share? What percentage tint did you end up going for? I know in Michigan, I don't know a single person who has ever gotten a repair ticket other than as a way to write down a moving violation, so legality isn't something I've checked on or am concerned with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Window tint... yes or no?