XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

window washer pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window washer pump

First post ,I dont know the rules ,anyway I have a 1997 xk8 ,and unfortunately I have a problem with my window washers the pump is not getting any electricity I have a friend who is a part time mechanic But he doesn't know a lot about Jaguars he's had a look but he has no idea what he can do to repair the problem ,can anyone out there help me please.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

According to circuit diagram:

Fuse #7 30Amp
In engine compartment fuse box

Powerwash relay is in there, too

Try those first.

The following users liked this post:
macjag1745 (08-29-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 06:16 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by macjag1745
First post ,I dont know the rules ,anyway I have a 1997 xk8 ,and unfortunately I have a problem with my window washers the pump is not getting any electricity .....
Welcome to the forum macjag1745,

You may not know the rules but you found the right place first time to post your question which is more than many newbies manage to do.

Pump not getting electricity - is this confirmed by taking off the wheelarch liner and checking the harness connection to the pump in the screenwash reservoir?

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

macjag1745 (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 04:56 AM
Default Windscreen washer no electricity

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum macjag1745,

You may not know the rules but you found the right place first time to post your question which is more than many newbies manage to do.

Pump not getting electricity - is this confirmed by taking off the wheelarch liner and checking the harness connection to the pump in the screenwash reservoir?

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham
I'm still trying to figure out how the site works ,how to reply etc ,so forgive any errors please .
yes I think he tried that ,he also informed me that he had checked all the fuses in the car

Old 08-29-2017, 05:00 AM

Thanks a lot I'll inform him this afternoon,

Old 08-29-2017, 05:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Here's the circuit diagram:

Now you've eliminated fuses, if the pump will power directly then the next possibility is a faulty wash/wipe stalk.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails window washer pump-xk8-washer.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
macjag1745 (08-29-2017), Orthodixie (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the diagram, could you tell me how to check the wash /wipe stalk ,the wipers are working fine as are the 2 pumps when powered directly so I think you may be right

Old 08-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Another question perhaps a little foolish to you experts out there but how do I identify the relay I'm looking for and can it be tested ?

Old 08-29-2017, 01:11 PM

which one is the powerwash relay they areall identical and there are 7 or 8 of them in there

Old 08-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,406 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Powerwash relay is here:

Just a thought - do the wipers cycle when you pull the stick forward? If so, it's probably OK.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:37 AM
Default windscreen washers

Thank you Micheal h,I think the wipers are working ok but I'll try them again,just no power getting to the pump ,is there a way of testing the relay?

Old 08-30-2017, 03:59 AM

I've just tested the stick by pulling it forward ,wipers cycle but nothing else,still no power getting to the pump

Old 08-30-2017, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,406 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Sorry - brain freeze. What I meant to say was 'do the wipers cycle when you press the button on the end of the stalk'

There's a similar thread here by spuddio that he tracked down to F7 (15A) in the drivers facia fusebox, but he had other issues also:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...30/#post680469

Failing that, it's a case of tracing the wiring from the pump back through connector LF1 to the body processor module. One other possibility is the grounding to the stud LF1AR (shown in GGG's diagram). JTIS shows it adjacent to the RHS headlamp.

macjag1745 (08-30-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 06:53 AM
Default windscreen washer pump

I have checked the number 7 fuse 15 amp driver's side facia it's ok I also checked the fuses in the engine compartment number 7 30 amp its ok as well ,neither the windscreen washer or the headlamp washer is working ,the wipers seem to function correctly,even when I press on the button at the end of the stalk they cycle as they should do but als no liquid to be seen anywhere, as we say in France "a l'aide" I don't know how to check the relay "powerwash " how does one check a relay?

Last edited by macjag1745; 08-31-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

All brown relays are the same. Swap relays. On my car, at least, the headlights have to be on to have the headlight washers function.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Default Wash wipe relay

Originally Posted by grantorino62
All brown relays are the same. Swap relays. On my car, at least, the headlights have to be on to have the headlight washers function.
Thanks for that I'll try that this afternoon

Old 09-02-2017, 06:28 AM

I changed the relay in the engine compartment (exchanged with another relay )and the headlight washers seem to be working,but still nothing with the windscreen,any sugestions anyone ?

Old 09-02-2017, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Sorry - brain freeze. What I meant to say was 'do the wipers cycle when you press the button on the end of the stalk'

There's a similar thread here by spuddio that he tracked down to F7 (15A) in the drivers facia fusebox, but he had other issues also:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...30/#post680469

Failing that, it's a case of tracing the wiring from the pump back through connector LF1 to the body processor module. One other possibility is the grounding to the stud LF1AR (shown in GGG's diagram). JTIS shows it adjacent to the RHS headlamp.
could you tell me exactly where the stud is situated and what it looks like michaelh,sorry but I'm a complete novice so I don't have a clue really

Old 09-02-2017, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

You know, something just occurred to me. I've seen several wires solder joints come lose and disconnect with age on the end of the headlight stalk. I would imagine the price of a new wiper switch is just as shocking as the headlight is.

Given that you may want to pull the steering wheel and have a look. Ok stick with me here: I was about to delete this suggestion thinking if the wipers cycle, the momentary switch is sending a signal to start the was cycle. Who would design a switch with 2 separate wires to start this automated cycle?

I am on a phone without glasses so can't review thediagrams. Since this event (squirt, wipe, wait wipe) is a coordinated layered event it must be managed by a module.

I think we may have just proved your switch and it's wires are ok by the fact that the wipers energize. I don't see how the switch would have 2 separate wires but do check the diagram to be sure.

My next step would be to read "trigger" voltage at the relay for the pump while someone presses the button. If no voltage present, provide some to ensure the pump works.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 09-02-2017 at 09:10 AM.
macjag1745 (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
You know, something just occurred to me. I've seen several wires solder joints come lose and disconnect with age on the end of the headlight stalk. I would imagine the price of a new wiper switch is just as shocking as the headlight is.

Given that you may want to pull the steering wheel and have a look. Ok stick with me here: I was about to delete this suggestion thinking if the wipers cycle, the momentary switch is sending a signal to start the was cycle. Who would design a switch with 2 separate wires to start this automated cycle?

I am on a phone without glasses so can't review thediagrams. Since this event (squirt, wipe, wait wipe) is a coordinated layered event it must be managed by a module.

I think we may have just proved your switch and it's wires are ok by the fact that the wipers energize. I don't see how the switch would have 2 separate wires but do check the diagram to be sure.

My next step would be to read "trigger" voltage at the relay for the pump while someone presses the button. If no voltage present, provide some to ensure the pump works.

John
Thank you for your post even though I'm having problems understanding it,on which diagram could I check if the switch has 2 separate wires or not and where do I find "trigger" voltage,I must admit to being a complete novice in car electronics,or indeed electronics in general.