XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wipers?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Windshield wipers?

I was looking at my Jag the other day, and thinking about what a sleek vehicle that it is, and then suddenly it struck me that it might look a lot sleeker if not for those windshield wipers sticking up there in such an obtrusive way.

I remember, way back when some American cars had hidden wipers for a couple of years, about the time that they had the radio antenna's inside of the windshield. Both of those died quick deaths. From what I recall, the hidden windshield wipers were a real problem in areas where there was a lot of snow. (very understandable) The embedded antenna's, well, they just did not pick up stations very well.

I got to thinking that, with the money that this car cost, they might have developed a wiper system that would allow for it to be hidden, or not, if snow was a concern. Then I thought that I'd like to see what the Jag would look like without the wipers. I looked at them closely, and saw that there is a wire running up into them, which, I assume is for the moisture sensor for the auto wiper mode. Anyway, before I'd get into it just for curiosity, I thought I might ask what sort of a task it would be to remove the wipers. I never drive my car in the rain anyway, and if they could be easily removed and replaced, I just might take them off to see how it looks. Any thoughts? (and no, I don't think that the police are going to notice that it does not have wipers and pull me over to give me a ticket)

Old 01-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Pry off the 3/4" plastic cover over the securing nut.

Remove the nut with an appropriate socket

Remove the wiper arm with a $10 tool available at any auto parts store.

Goes back on just as easy.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

As soon as you pry the plastic covers off the wiper you'll prpbably discover a rusted nut. I just shook my head thinking that this was a $90K automobile in 2005. I took the nut off and went down to a nut and bolt supply house and got stainless steel replacements for a dollar---go figure!

Mike, 2006 XKR Conv.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

What I was wondering about was the wire. I realize the part about the cap and the nut, but, I was concerned about disconnection the wire, and how to do that without messing something up.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

It is not a wire, it is a thin hose for the windshield washer sprayers which are on the wipers themselves.
You can just pull them off of the hose nipples.
The auto wiper sensor is optical and on the windshield at the top center on the inside.

The following users liked this post:
Kevin D (01-20-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

kevin, I agree with you 100% regarding the look of the wipers on the car but not just the appearance from the outside. We have that beautiful curvacious hood on our cars but we can't enjoy those lines from the driver seat view due to the wipers. Every once in awhile, I have to lean far forward while in the driver seat and I catch a glimpse, over the wipers, of that sexy hood and think why oh why did they not hide the wipers at a lower level. I wondered about taking the wipers off too and if it was something that could be quick and easy to put on and take off. If yes, I think I'll do that just for the view from the inside. I was thinking about posting the same question but thanks for beating me to it. Let us know just how quick and easy it is to put them on and off.
Tim