XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would like better brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like better brakes

I recently purchased a '97 XK8 convertible. I've put a lot of work and money into the car to get it where I like it but one area remains. The previous owner appears to have put new brakes on it not long ago but the car just doesn't stop as quickly as I'd like.
Short of installing an entire brake kit, does anyone have any suggestions on a brand or style of pads that might offer better braking performance?

Old 04-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

When you say "new brakes", are you saying the previous owner installed all new calipers or just the brake pads? If you turn off traction control can you lock up the wheels when you slam on the brakes? If so, new calipers aren't really going to do anything for you unless you drive the car really hard on a track where the brakes get hot. New pads might help a little. But if you can't lock up the wheels, then I wonder if you have a problem with the brake booster or some other component of the brake system.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Brake line replacement

Did you replace your 14 year old brake lines with Stainless Steel ones?

If not, the squishy feel could be from the worn out rubber expanding against the pressure of the pads on the discs.

Goodrich sells a set for all 4 corners - for $110. It is cut specifically for the XK8. Well made and DOT Certified (Not simply "Made to DOT Specifications" or whatever slippery language the backyard guys use.)

Replacement is a simple job for the most part. Plus, you'll get all new fluid in the event you haven't changed that yet.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I think your brakes may be better than you think.

Brakes on some car brands just feel better than other car brands. For example, I've driven 500SL and 500SEL Mercedes, and the brakes had a terrible feel. They'd really stop you, however.

I was looking at a magazine road test of an older XK8 the other day, and the car stopped from 60 mph in 118 ft. Few cars stop close to that. I saw a Brembo equipped XKR road test where the car stopped from 60 mph in 98ft--an effort only met by full race cars.

My best suggestion is that you keep a close watch on your brake pads, and to change them before they get paper thin. (My XK8 had original brakes @ 59K when I bought the car.) XK8 rotors can usually be turned once before replacement. XK8 brakes are very easily worked on--completely conventional brakes.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I've heard more than a few people recommend the EBC Red Stuff pads over the other ceramic and semi-metallic pads for better bite and overall stopping. I had them on at one time, for a short period...if it wasn't for the dust they generated (better than OEM, but still too much for me) they would still be on the car. Compared to Akebono Euro ceramics, the Reds were noticeably better. But, I don't do aggressive driving requring that type of brake response, so it wasn't a factor in my decision...however, you may find them more suited to your taste.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

It appears that Jag brakes feel "soft" in comparison to other makes even if they are still powerful. This subtle Jaguar idea of smooth and yet powerful control.
The PO may have fitted ceramic pads. Many of these ceramic pads are low dust yet do not stop as well as the semi-metallics. I am not sure that many of them have EU R90 certification, meaning that their performance equals the original spec pads. You might have to go back to the original or similar semi-metallic pads.

Last edited by Dan R; 04-23-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I am also a fan of ceramic brakes to minimize brake dust. I used Hawk brakes on my 2 brake jobs last year, however I don't believe they're available for both axles on XK8's. You cannot go wrong with EBC's or Akebono's, either.

I put Wagner's semi-metallac brakes on my XK8 last month--replacing the original brake pads @ 59K miles. I used them because of reputation (amongst mechanics) and a very low price and rebate @ O'Reilley's.

If someone is an aggressive driver, I would suggest sticking with what the factory put on the car originally--a premium brand of semi-metallac brakes. It wouldn't hurt to get the brakes bled properly--preferably with a "power bleeder".

Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My XK8 had all 4 sets changed by the dealer right before I got it (1500K on them now), I assume they are OEM semi mettalics, I can't believe how fast this car stops, but the front brake dust is insane, I've never had a car that dirtied the wheels as fast as this. Anybody know of a product that helps the wheels NOT gather the dust, sort of a non stick coating if you will....

Old 04-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I use Dupont's Teflon Wheel cleaner. It does seem to help a little bit. The wheels still dust up almost as quickly, but they are easier to clean.