XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you recommend a XK8 convertible to your mom?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

97 was the first year for the 'ford' influenced jag, and the early years have several issues that you need to be aware of before buying. instead of a longwinded post to outline them all, I recommend just browsing as many of the xk8/xkr threads from the last few months, just for a introduction. There are quite a few major issues that may cause mom some headaches in the near future, if not already addressed by the previous owner.

If you have specific questions once you have explored the forums, feel free to ask away. There is alot of information around here.

Best bet would be a 2003 and up, but if cannot afford that model year, stay as close as possible.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The '97 to '99 model years, now after 10 to 12 years of age are best owned by folks that have a lot of unassigned disposable money or hobby mechanics.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't think making the shift from a Caddy to an XK8 would be ideal for an older woman, unless she was interested in a sporty car. Even assumming you jumped to an 06 to have the least number of problems - car for car they are really not comparable cars.

While most might classify them both as luxury autos. The cadillac is big, plushy, soft and filled with all kinds of whistles, bells and gadgets.

The jag on the other hand is by no means big, is by no means plush, and is not a soft floating ride.

Power Steering vs Power Assisted- there are lots of distinct differences between these two classes of cars.

While they both have leather interiors, and the jag has a genuine wood dash. The spaciousness of the caddy is a huge difference.

Also making a step from a caddy, to a two door car with no usable backseat is something else to consider.

I owned a couple of Eldorados, so I am pretty familiar with the differences.

Dave B

Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts

The weak points are that she would be calling you every week to come over and fix that car you recommended to her. Then she'd be asking you if you could find another good car... like that old Cadillac.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 05-14-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Best solution:

Have her keep the Caddy, use the XK8 as the fun car. After a couple times in the shop she gives it to you.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

That is cold and insensitive Test Point!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mom

I have been thinking about your original post and here are some random thoughts and experiences.

Having one of these XKs is like being married to a supermodel that went through meth rehab. Man they are gorgeous but be prepared for anything at any time. I still feel it is the most beautiful car ever built and I will never let her go without a fight.

Sunday I went to the garage to take the car to the car wash. I have been having fun doing minor detailing and just playing around lately. I started the car(no rattle) and reached for the gearshift and it would not move? I was stunned. Turned it off and on a couple of times, even got out and rocked the car back and forth and nothing, no go. Eureka I remembered reading in the manual about shift-interlock. Sure enough I found what to do but also discovered that not only was the "plug" missing but so was the alleged tool that I was supposed to use.

I have previously had a missing tool when my top failed to go back up. Removed panel in truck and nada. Found one at auto parts store and now am ok on that one after replacing all of the plastic lines.

I tried putting the key into the hole and got the car into reverse and backed halfway out of the garage. Unfortunately I could only get reverse and nothing else. Undaunted I found a long allen wrench device and stuck in the hole and I could shift the car as needed. Ok the hidden part is that I got a little frustrated with the car and ended up breaking the pieces of plastic under the shift cover. I had a forceps so I got most of them out. The ones that were bigger and would not come out were harder. So carefully lifted the edging around the shifter and cracked it at both ends. I pulled it off and got the rest of the plastic. Looks nice and empty in there now. lol kinda. So I fitted the borken pieces back together and reinstalled them. Thought about super glue and thankfully passed on it.

Now I drive around with a large metal allen wrench sticking up next to my shifter. Hey it works until I calm down and save some $$ and do the right thing.

My car is a driver by definition and yet I keep putting money into cosmetics because like that aging supermodel meth head I want her to look good!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your mom recently wrecked her harley, buy the car. If not, keep the caddy. It's a commitment second only to marriage for you to get her the Jag. If you're not in the mood to come over every time mom has a "minor" issue with the car, can I buy the Jag? My wife has one already, and my weekends are still free to tinker.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

If she is elderly, she will also quickly tire of getting in and out of the car. It's a lot lower than the caddy.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
If she is elderly, she will also quickly tire of getting in and out of the car. It's a lot lower than the caddy.
I'll second that. It takes my Mother at least 15-20 minutes to get into or out of my XK8. That hasn't stopped her from wanting one though...

Old 05-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by tealjag
I'll second that. It takes my Mother at least 15-20 minutes to get into or out of my XK8. That hasn't stopped her from wanting one though...
Have them turn in the seat and put both feet on the ground. Then have them hold the door and door jam to help on the way out. If my Mother-in-law who is 84 can get out anyone can!!!!!