XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK100: is the seller smoking crack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Question XK100: is the seller smoking crack?

I think so. $40k for one of these would be stratospheric enough, but with 31k miles?

Or am I utterly unaware of the value of this edition, which can't seriously be THAT special?

*edit - sorry, it's an XKR100. I still say he should put the crack pipe down.

Last edited by BurgXK8; 01-29-2015 at 03:01 PM. Reason: wrong model cited in headline
Old 01-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I just ran it on Edmunds, seller's zip code; $15,340. The regular XKR is $11,760.
Either smoking crack or trying to REALLY pull some tricks.

Last edited by Cee Jay; 01-29-2015 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

He's asking $44.9k and he's lying. He says it's 2 wheel drive but no XKR came from the factory with a LSD. I don't think you can get this high on crack; he must be on something stronger.

Mark

Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM
GGG
Received 16,763 Likes on 12,152 Posts

Here's the original Ad.

This thread will still be here long after the link is removed.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails XK100: is the seller smoking crack?-x100.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I'll take two

Doug

Old 01-30-2015, 12:17 AM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
He's asking $44.9k and he's lying. He says it's 2 wheel drive but no XKR came from the factory with a LSD. I don't think you can get this high on crack; he must be on something stronger.
Mark
It is late at night and I am tired, but I didn't see where he claimed that the vehicle has a LSD. And are you implying that his vehicle is NOT 2 wheel drive, and/or that all 2 wheel drive vehicles must necessarily have a LSD?

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

I think you are mistaken, it doesn't have LSD he is on LSD.
With the right buyer and if it is perfect he might get 16-18K

Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts
Default recaros?

I can't tell for sure of the car really has Recaros but maybe. Didn't see the part about a LSD as an option.

I suspect this "special" edition was only special as long as it took Jaguar to get rid of the remaining supply of 4.0 liter engines in 2002, right before the changeover to the 4.2. Other than that it's little more than a nice XKR doubling as a birthday card for some dead dude.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

I think it does have Recaro seats. They appear to be same style as these currently on Ebay:
Jaguar XKR XK8 Recaro Seats | eBay

Old 01-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
I can't tell for sure of the car really has Recaros but maybe. Didn't see the part about a LSD as an option.

I suspect this "special" edition was only special as long as it took Jaguar to get rid of the remaining supply of 4.0 liter engines in 2002, right before the changeover to the 4.2. Other than that it's little more than a nice XKR doubling as a birthday card for some dead dude.
According to Thorley's book, the major "plusses" included contrasting piping at the interior leather, drilled rotors and performance handling package (which presumably included the Recaro seats), and special badging.

With most manufacturers offering so-called "special" or "limited" editions, these are often the last production run before the new model and in most cases these are purely cosmetic.

Doug

Old 01-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
According to Thorley's book, the major "plusses" included contrasting piping at the interior leather, drilled rotors and performance handling package (which presumably included the Recaro seats), and special badging.

With most manufacturers offering so-called "special" or "limited" editions, these are often the last production run before the new model and in most cases these are purely cosmetic.

Doug
Well certainly, because if they wanted to do anything mechanical, just imagine the engineering cost and then the cost to make sure that it was still compatible with the various government and insurance regulations and so forth in several different countries. That would be extremely cost prohibitive on a small number of "Special Edition" vehicles.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:38 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Good news. I found a cheaper one....
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=201258526345&globalID=EBAY-GB&alt=web

blindside (02-01-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bakntyme
It is late at night and I am tired, but I didn't see where he claimed that the vehicle has a LSD. And are you implying that his vehicle is NOT 2 wheel drive, and/or that all 2 wheel drive vehicles must necessarily have a LSD?
Without LSD, only one wheel is ever driven. I would not call that two wheel drive. I wouldn't call a car with LSD two wheel drive either but a car with an LSD is closer to that definition than one without an LSD.

Mark

Old 01-30-2015, 10:16 PM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Without LSD, only one wheel is ever driven. I would not call that two wheel drive. I wouldn't call a car with LSD two wheel drive either but a car with an LSD is closer to that definition than one without an LSD.

Mark
Standard terminology for drivetrain types in the automobile industry is two wheel drive, four wheel drive, or all wheel drive. Since no one is claiming that the subject vehicle has four wheel drive or all wheel drive, then by the process of elimination it has two wheel drive. I would venture a guess that no web site specializing in the listing of automobiles for sale has "one wheel drive" as a selectable option for drivetrain type.

If, as you say, only one wheel is EVER driven, why would car manufacturers not save a lot of complication and money and just have the driveshaft connect to one wheel in a standard vehicle?

According to Wikipedia:
"A conventional "open" (non-locked or otherwise traction-aided) differential always supplies close to equal (because of limited internal friction) torque to each side. To illustrate how this can limit torque applied to the driving wheels, imagine a simple rear-wheel drive vehicle, with one rear roadwheel on asphalt with good grip, and the other on a patch of slippery ice. It takes very little torque to spin the side on slippery ice, and because a differential splits torque equally to each side, the torque that is applied to the side that is on asphalt is limited to this amount.

Based on the load, gradient, et cetera, the vehicle requires a certain amount of torque applied to the drive wheels to move forward. Since an open differential limits total torque applied to both drive wheels to the amount used by the lower traction wheel multiplied by a factor of 2, when one wheel is on a slippery surface, the total torque applied to the driving wheels may be lower than the minimum torque required for vehicle propulsion."
Differential (mechanical device) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You may not call a standard vehicle without limited-slip differential "two wheel drive", but almost everyone else in the world does. You have the right to disagree with the industry standard terminology and use whatever terminology you choose. But calling the seller a liar because he uses the standard terminology is a bit draconian.

Last edited by bakntyme; 01-30-2015 at 10:28 PM.
blindside (02-01-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member

bakntyme, say what you want but to me, it's misleading. Calling out something that is standard on all cars, as if it's something special, is misleading. The bottom line is that when you step on the gas you'll leave one black mark, not two as only one wheel will only ever have torque applied to it. When I sold my Saturn L200, I did not specify two wheel drive and anyone willing to pay $45k for that car would likely take the "two wheel drive" statement to mean LSD, which I believe was his intent.

Mark

Old 01-31-2015, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

anyone willing to pay $45k for that car would likely take the "two wheel drive" statement to mean LSD, which I believe was his intent.Mark
Anyone paying 45k won't have a clue what a LSD is, except they may be taking the Timothy Oleary kind

Old 01-31-2015, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
Anyone paying 45k won't have a clue what a LSD is, except they may be taking the Timothy Oleary kind
That's exactly my point. They probably won't understand what an LSD is but may think, since two wheel drive was specified, that it has an LSD (but probably wouldn't know the term LSD). Many people assume that a car like an XK/XKR has an LSD.

Mark

Old 01-31-2015, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

I think you guys are putting WAY too much thought into this. By most of your reasoning, a four-wheel drive truck (with open diffs) would be classified as a TWO wheel drive vehicle. Yes, I know all about spider gears, lockers, clutch packs, friction modifiers and the lot.
The was most vehicles are marketed are either Front Wheel Drive, Rear Wheel Drive, ALL wheel Drive, or Four Wheel Drive.
For argument's sake, both rear wheels ARE driven on a rear wheeler, as long as neither one loses enough traction to enable the open diff to stop the other one.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
hahaha!

Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Jon89 (02-01-2015)

Quick Reply: XK100: is the seller smoking crack?