XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?

Silly question of the day - I'm looking at a potential $4.k ,or worse tranny job in my '97 XK8. I hate that slush box, but love the car. Does anyone know if a manual tranny has ever been mounted behind the AJ26 on any vehicle? Or if one could be? To me the biggest hurdle in getting a flywheel that can handle a clutch on there. Any thoughts?
Mark

Old 12-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Norman has done it in the UK.

http://www.xkrt.co.uk/

Last edited by Jaxkr; 12-24-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Norman, can you share this process with us? Was it worth it? I'm pretty sure the car would be fantastic as a manual.
Mark

Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 PM
Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Popcorn out, waiting for someone stateside to figure it out for me. I would love to have a 6 speed.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

If you google XKR or XK8 manual transmission conversion you will find all sorts of links.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

You'll be fine if you have a spare $12k

Forgot to mention I have a XK8 with a T56

Old 12-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis435
Silly question of the day - I'm looking at a potential $4.k ,or worse tranny job in my '97 XK8. I hate that slush box, but love the car. Does anyone know if a manual tranny has ever been mounted behind the AJ26 on any vehicle? Or if one could be? To me the biggest hurdle in getting a flywheel that can handle a clutch on there. Any thoughts?
Mark

Go to www.eapj.com. They claim to be the only one to have done it accorind to their website. Their car was in an the XK8 magazine compilation put out by Jaguar World magazine.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:06 PM

XKRacer,
Yeah, the $12.k does put a damper on it. But what about the S-type V6 Diesel tranny you mentioned at one time. Has anyone pursued that option? I would think that would be a bit more straight forward. Unfortunately, even at half the price (optimistic) that would still be a stretch to handle.
Mark

Old 12-25-2013, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

Sure but you would have to find one and ship it over, which then does not make it a particularly cheap option and you have a second hand item you are taking a chance on, also technically I cannot see why the flywheel could not be adapted with the clutch but that would be a bit hit n miss as nobody has done it, I made my own flywheel with the twin plate clutch from a XJ220, not the best choice for a road car, a single plate sintered is more controllable. If you could use everything from the S Type it would also solve your release bearing issue to, I believe it is hydraulic which allows the use of a manual XJS pedal assembly.......

There is still lots of things to consider, like the clutch reservoir comes under the screen scuttle which makes topping up a pain so you then have to make it remote, the clutch master also interferes with the wiper motor.

The things I am telling you is what you need to over come if you was trying to do a "budget installation" and if you are a bit of an engineer and have access to lathes and mills you could potentially do a conversion for around $3k mark but then you have the electrical problems and I don't care what other people say but the XK ECU from a tuners point of view is a piece of junk and needs to be used as a paperweight on end up in the eBay bin like mine did, get a standalone system which will cost you another $1k, take a crash course on mapping and do it whilst driving with a laptop most standalone systems allow you to do this, they will come with a standard map which will allow you to get started, from then on you play.

It is when you have to rely on other peoples expertise the costs start to rise, which is when you end up with a big bill, I have said this before, it is why I never pursued a manual conversion, yes there will be some lunatics out there but once you consider the time and effort is not worth it as the cost is too high.

I was the first to manual a XKR engine over 15 years ago before Jaguar even did it, Jaguar actually used the same gearbox and clutch setup I did, I am not saying they copied my idea but great minds think a like maybe, I did put everything up on the net......

I am happy to share my info, I still have all the cad drawings for the flywheel and the bell housing, clutch, release housing.......etc

Gives you something to think about....

I found some old pics

Have a good Christmas

Attached Thumbnails XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?-gearbox1.jpg   XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?-gearbox3.jpg   XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?-flywheel3.jpg   XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?-flywheel1.jpg  

Last edited by XKRacer; 12-25-2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Added pics
The following 3 users liked this post by XKRacer:
Fla Steve (02-04-2018), rrosscoe (02-15-2018), someguywithajag (10-06-2022)
Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

XKRacer, this looks like it must have been fun. I have recently been given a XJ 4.0 V8 which i am going to break unfortunately as the body is rotten. I have been looking for a while for a good engine for my Track/Race car project but since the mechanicals on my X308 are all good i was thinking about using this engine.
Is there any truth about the S-Type V6 gearbox working with the AJV8? I have a friendly local Engineer who can do all the practical machining work, unfortunately all i can do is the mechanical stuff and drawings.
I will probably get shot at this point since it is going into my Capri, however there may be plans to put into a Kougar Kit at some point if it works.
I am looking into Megasquirt to run the engine as i know the Jaguar ECM are going to give me hell. Any help would be much appreciated. This will be a budget build so the breaking of the car will help pay for most (hopefully) of the project.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I think the main problem is the computer. You may have to completely replace it with a generic off the shelf engine management system from someone like Holley ... and things like CATS and traction control still might not work right (nt to mention VVT).

I think it is more straightforward if you replace the engine too, here is a place that has a chevy LS and T56 swap kit with all the computer issues whorked out. I doubt you wll do a manual alone conversion for less money:

Jaguar Specialties

You could probably swing that for under $5k total if you went with a used Iron block engine and T56.

Last edited by auburn2; 04-26-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

The S Type box fitting on a AJV8...... Hmmmmmm

Like this

Attached Thumbnails XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?-imagejpg1_zps4519bc8b-1-1.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Cambo (04-28-2015)
Old 04-26-2014, 02:55 PM

Nice, thanks for the info. I take it the flywheel and clutch etc need a bit of fettling to fit but otherwise are also ok to fit from the S-Type?
Sorry if you have covered this before but i like these sorts of challenges in life
I may have to do some more calcs on gearing but this looks like a big hurdle covered straight away

Old 04-27-2014, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

The S Type uses a dual mass flywheel not sure I would do that but the clutch maybe usable.... I will be using the original ring gear from the XJR and making an aluminium flywheel, I may get an S Type clutch just to see if I can make it work

Old 04-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello you might consider doing the ls engine and trans swap instead then can get a better auto trans or go with manual and while you are doing all that drop the rear end and do a LSD hehe its only 1500 or so just a thought

Old 04-27-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The transmission that they make for our cars is great. Try A1 transmission in phoenix , az
I purchased a remanufactured one from them for 2200. The transmission works great now. there was this planetary gear ring that always break in our transmission. I honesty believe that you might as well buy a new updated transmission which will cost you over 5000, or you can get your shell or what not, buy get the transmission remanufactured, Not rebuilt

Old 04-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XKRacer,
Does this picture mean you are currently trying to mate the s-type man box to a V8? Or is this a past project?
Looks like it bolts right up, so thats a major hurdle covered right there. I'm very interested in your progress, please keep us posted..

Old 04-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the S Type manual 6 speed box bolts straight on, it has to come from a 2.7 V6 turbo diesel which unfortunately were not available in the States.....

I've done it before and I'm doing it again and dropping the lot into a highly modified XJS

Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM

Very useful info, i like the idea of custom flywheel. Just need to work out some weights. Don't want to make too light, although the car i putting it in is a track car anyway, maybe not too much of an issue.
Are you using an XJR engine? The engine in my X308 is a 4.0 V8 with VVT, although i pretty sure this will work ok with something like Megasquirt. I beleive the system is the simple two stage system which electronically opens a solenoid to allow oil pressure to make the swithch to advance the cam by 30°. I just need to work out when it does this, or i can just forget about it and loose a bit of mid range torque (if it becomes too complicated)
I was almost thinking about using the auto trans and try and convert it to use manual shifters like US B&M or hurst shifter etc, but use buttons on the wheel. However the electronics would mean i would have to try and adapt the Jag stuff, which looks alot harder to install into another car.
This manual idea is much better, and will be alot more fun.
Still doing alot of engine measurements, but i am suprised how compact the AJV8 is, should easily fit into my Std Capri engine bay.

One last question, does it have to be the S-Type 2.7 V6 TD box or will any S-Type V6 box work. Not sure if there are any differences? Also i take it the gearbox shaft sits central to the crank on the V8?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

My track car was a XK8 with the VVT, I use an Emerald K3 and told the ECU to enable the VVT at 1900RPM

I am using an XJR engine for the XJS, I bought the whole car for £1000 so I got the engine and all the ancillaries I wanted to use including all the rads...... This does mean I will have a V12 going soon, rebuilt by David Marks I believe and not driven since, why any one would be interested in an XK forum is beyond me but you never know

And yes it has to be from the diesel V6 no other will fit

Quick Reply: XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?