XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok thanks again for the info

Old 03-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Need some advice on flywheels and this thread seems to be appropriate to what I'm after as I'm doing a manual AJv8

I have a 4.2 supercharged AJV8 engine that I'm putting into a Nissan s15 drift car. I am using the v6 manual 6 speed box and have a Tilton triple plate clutch. Only thing I need now is a flywheel but am struggling to source one.

i was going to have a lightened one piece flywheel made but they need all sorts of specs and a gear ring to make it and wondered if there was an easier option.

Any my advice on where to source one or what I need to look for ( I read that the AJV8 is a successor to the rover V8 but I thought that was a 3.5) would the flywheels be the same and would it fit the 4.2AJ?

Althernatively does anyone know where I could get a decent performancekywheel for the 4.2.

hope someone can shed some light on this as I'm a big stuck at the moment. Thanks. Ben

Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Contact Tom Lenthall or Tony at Paragon Design in the UK, both these guys have made flywheel and clutch kits for the AJV8.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cambo
Contact Tom Lenthall or Tony at Paragon Design in the UK, both these guys have made flywheel and clutch kits for the AJV8.
Awesome thanks mate I'll look into that!

Old 03-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Easiest thing to do is bolt a flat piece of metal to the flexiplate using the tourque converter holes, then clutch goes onto that.....

I turned up my own flywheel using the original ring gear comes off the plate very easy

Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 PM

So done some more work today and found after removing the v6 gearbox that the spline pattern is different to that in the Tilton clutch I have which was supposed to fit! So now I'm stuck again because I need some sort of way to either change the shaft in he box to match the clutch or I need to change the clutch but finsingn one to match both the v8 flywheel and the v6 box is becoming my worst nightmare!

this Norman guy you say in the UK who has done this conversion. Where is he and is there a contact for him on here? Any pics or info on his conversion?

Old 03-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by S15ben
So done some more work today and found after removing the v6 gearbox that the spline pattern is different to that in the Tilton clutch I have which was supposed to fit! So now I'm stuck again because I need some sort of way to either change the shaft in he box to match the clutch or I need to change the clutch but finsingn one to match both the v8 flywheel and the v6 box is becoming my worst nightmare!

this Norman guy you say in the UK who has done this conversion. Where is he and is there a contact for him on here? Any pics or info on his conversion?

From Tom Lenthal.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

This was my set up...... A bit vicious by most counts

The following users liked this post:
Tijoe (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 585 Likes on 392 Posts

XK Racer.

Did you bold a flywheel plate to a stock flex plate, or press on the ring gear cut off of a flex plate? Hard to tell from the images you have posted.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:56 AM

I have also wondered this as I am getting a flywheel made and have the standard gear ring. Should they be pressed together or bolted through both directly to the engine.

Old 03-21-2017, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member

I turned up my flywheel and used the original ring gear but I know others have bolted to the flexiplate as it is a lot cheaper and you have the timing ring

Old 11-09-2017, 06:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following for updates- just getting info on this for my engine swap.

Does anyone know the height of the V6 flywheel? And where one could get a sprung friction plate from? My car is going to be 99% road use, and I don't fancy a clutch like a switch. Adding a circular drilled plate and keeping the flexplate seems like the ideal solution to me.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
Norman has done it in the UK.

http://www.xkrt.co.uk/
This website doesn't seem to be working anymore. Do they still sell a manual conversion kit for the XK8/XKR?

Anybody else sells a kit in Europe?

Thanks.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately Norman died ...... I am about to convert an XK8 to manual next month

Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Unfortunately Norman died ...... I am about to convert an XK8 to manual next month
Oh,I'm sorry to hear that. I hope his family is doing ok. My condolences.

Is anybody else offering a kit for the conversion?

Old 01-31-2018, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Not as far as I know..... You can try asking Tom CLICK HERE scroll to the bottom

Not sure if he is offering a kit as such..... I will be using the S Type gearbox, McLeod clutch and the pedal box from an XJS, will be running a standalone ECU...

Old 01-31-2018, 12:17 PM

OK, thanks for the link. I will check it out.

But I just noticed your website in your signature. I checked it out and it seems you have a Jaguar tuning business?

So I must ask, when you said you are about to convert an XK8 to manual next month, I initially understood you are doing it for yourself. But so is this for a client? You offer the service then?

I have always loved the looks of the XK8 and XKR. Even more so than the newer X150 XKs. But I will not put up with an automatic transmission. I don't have a XK8 or XKR yet. But I would only buy it if I knew I could convert it to manual. It would most likely never even be driven with the auto gearbox. I have driven them to know I hate the slush box. I hate auto boxes in general. But I need to be sure it can be done and that I can go ahead with it and can afford it, before I buy a car.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:35 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

My xk8 was my first ever auto box car after 30 years of driving and to be perfectly honest, I cant ever imagine the driving experience being any better with a manual box. If you really want to change gear manually then use the manual change function. Its free and guaranteed to work

Old 02-01-2018, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jeagar
OK, thanks for the link. I will check it out.

But I just noticed your website in your signature. I checked it out and it seems you have a Jaguar tuning business?

So I must ask, when you said you are about to convert an XK8 to manual next month, I initially understood you are doing it for yourself. But so is this for a client? You offer the service then?

I have always loved the looks of the XK8 and XKR. Even more so than the newer X150 XKs. But I will not put up with an automatic transmission. I don't have a XK8 or XKR yet. But I would only buy it if I knew I could convert it to manual. It would most likely never even be driven with the auto gearbox. I have driven them to know I hate the slush box. I hate auto boxes in general. But I need to be sure it can be done and that I can go ahead with it and can afford it, before I buy a car.
Indeed it can be done and yes I am doing it for a customer.... To this thing no less... We somewhat modified the back of it...!

We will be taking a slightly different approach than what other companies have done as I don't like using the original ECU and later this car will have a supercharged engine fitted so I want something I can map...

I actually converted an XKR engine to manual before Jaguar even done it back in 98, my track XK8 is running a T56 from a Dodge Viper, the engine for my track car is the pic for my avatar with the throttle bodies, I've been known to dabble....

Old 02-01-2018, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Indeed it can be done and yes I am doing it for a customer.... To this thing no less... We somewhat modified the back of it...!

We will be taking a slightly different approach than what other companies have done as I don't like using the original ECU and later this car will have a supercharged engine fitted so I want something I can map...

I actually converted an XKR engine to manual before Jaguar even done it back in 98, my track XK8 is running a T56 from a Dodge Viper, the engine for my track car is the pic for my avatar with the throttle bodies, I've been known to dabble....

That's interesting. How many XKs have you converted to manual so far? How do they drive? Do they feel stock? Do you lose any functionality in the car such as traction control or any other computer controlled features? I seem to remember even Jaguar had problems they could never solve concerning that when they did the XKR-R. But maybe they just didn't care to work long enough on it to solve them.

By the way, any other pictures of the green car above? The F-Type tail lights kind of make it look like a TVR from that angle.

Quick Reply: XK8 Manual transmission - Has/can it be done?