XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 parking brake sensor problems...common?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XK8 parking brake sensor problems...common?

I'm looking at a low-mile (under 50K) 2006 XK8....in great shape, minus a parking brake issue:

The parking brake sensor doesn't work properly, so the brake will not disengage, or will turn on while driving. This happened during my test drive. I was able to limp the car back home by painfully inserting my finger into the module to press down continuously on the sensor to release the brake.

Any experience with this problem? How much would it cost to repair?

I ask, because the car's owner is very elderly,...I am dealing with her caretaker...the owner refuses to take the car to a mechanic, and she insists nothing is wrong with the brake...tragically, she may not be at her best thinking capacities at present, which led to the sale of the car. Dealing with the caretaker, I have to factor in the expense of what this brake will cost to repair.

Can any of you help me out with what I might be looking at, cost-wise?

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

C

Old 09-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by sayhitobaldy
she insists nothing is wrong with the brake
C
She may well be correct. The parking brake is mechanical, so the lamp only serves to indicate whether it is set or not. The sensor switch is a fairly crude device under the brake lever gaiter, and it can stick on or off.

Be aware of the not-immediately-obvious way the brake is set and released.
This thread started by Debbie Bean should help:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post1547411

It's an easy DIY to remove and clean the switch once you've eliminated a mechanical cause such as sticking linkages (or low brake fluid level?) . I'd say about an hour in labour.

Last edited by michaelh; 09-18-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: attribute thread
Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelh
She may well be correct. The parking brake is mechanical, so the lamp only serves to indicate whether it is set or not. The sensor switch is a fairly crude device under the brake lever gaiter, and it can stick on or off.

Be aware of the not-immediately-obvious way the brake is set and released.
This thread started by Debbie Bean should help:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...7/#post1547411

It's an easy DIY to remove and clean the switch once you've eliminated a mechanical cause such as sticking linkages (or low brake fluid level?) . I'd say about an hour in labour.
I have a sticky E-Brake Light Switch issue as well, it comes on most of the time, and when it does not, I can stick my finger between the carpet and Brake Lever to free it up; I just need to pull the cover off and clean it, or seat the Switch properly. Figuring out how to set and release the E-Brake itself was a whole different matter without the Owner's Manual, but I downloaded that from the Site Sticky Links after I got home. I was nearly stuck in Seattle late on a Sunday with the E-Brake set tight, I had no clue how to release it and a 212 mile trip home ahead. The Dealer did not know about the dropping handle action of the E-Brake either, but got lucky through trial and error to get it released.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:54 AM
Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sayhitobaldy
I'm looking at a low-mile (under 50K) 2006 XK8....in great shape, minus a parking brake issue:

The parking brake sensor doesn't work properly, so the brake will not disengage, or will turn on while driving. This happened during my test drive. I was able to limp the car back home by painfully inserting my finger into the module to press down continuously on the sensor to release the brake.

Any experience with this problem? How much would it cost to repair?

I ask, because the car's owner is very elderly,...I am dealing with her caretaker...the owner refuses to take the car to a mechanic, and she insists nothing is wrong with the brake...tragically, she may not be at her best thinking capacities at present, which led to the sale of the car. Dealing with the caretaker, I have to factor in the expense of what this brake will cost to repair.

Can any of you help me out with what I might be looking at, cost-wise?

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

C

XK8 (X100) or XK (X150)?????