XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 rear end noise

Old 07-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default XK8 rear end noise

Couple days back, I tagged in on an old thread thinking I was opening fresh discussion. So, I want to start over hoping to get more feedback. About 200 miles ago my 2000 XK8 (54K miles) started making a faint 'whirring' noise from the rear. It has grown in volume and is quite noticeable now. At first I thought it was a radial tire 'humm', but after putting it on the rack, lubing the U-joints and using a stethoscope I have isolated the sound and can feel the vibrations in the 'pumpkin' itself. I have been told that such failures are very rare, especially at this mileage. I presume if I keep driving it, nothing good will result. Before I buy a used rear end and search for someone to R&R the unit, I would appreciate any advice, suggestions or reports of similar situations. So far I have not found anyone who wants to go into a JAG rear.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

Have you tried Coventry West?

The following users liked this post:
brantman (07-11-2015)
Old 07-11-2015, 02:51 PM

No, I haven't. What/where is it?

Old 07-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Default Coventry West

Ah, found them. No differentials for xk8 listed, however, I will call and see if they have a salvaged unit. Not too far away (125 mi) to go fetch myself.
Thanks for that tip.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:18 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Throwing parts at a Jaguar to fix a possible issue quickly becomes very expensive.

I'd be absolutely certain of identifying the cause of the noise before spending the $$'s.

Graham

Old 07-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

I bought my car in 2003 with 15k mi on it and it had a noisy (slight whine) Differential. It was replaced under the balance of the New Car Warranty. I don't know how much the parts/labor cost.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by brantman
Ah, found them. No differentials for xk8 listed, however, I will call and see if they have a salvaged unit. Not too far away (125 mi) to go fetch myself.
Thanks for that tip.
They have a big warehouse with jag parts from all models and years. Last time I was there they had several XK8's and many XJ8's on the floor.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

The Jaguar rear-ends have been used in hotrods for years I find it hard to believe no one is willing to go into it. I thing that is a big deal is the removal of the sub frame to get to it, that is going to cost. I am sure you could find one in a salvage yard.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 AM

I just 'bought' answer from 'ask a jag mechanic'. I'll wait and see what they have to say before buying so much as a bolt. I, too, have a hard time believing that it is the rear end, but that does appear to be the source of the noise/vibration. Vibes not felt inside car, but only when placing hand on the brace under the pumpkin. Of course, sounds can transmit all across the vehicle. Meanwhile, it is parked in the garage.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I, too, have a hard time believing that it is the rear end, but that does appear to be the source of the noise/vibration.
Other shots in the dark: Have you checked things like the driveshaft center bearing, and the rear transmission and engine mounts? Possibly even the rubber coupling between the trans output flange and the driveshaft? What about all the rubber mounts for the diff the rear subframe itself? I assume that if things get out of alignment because of bad mounts, there could be unexpected loads in the diff causing noise over time. Also, might be useful to look into somehow getting fluid out of the diff and check for evidence of damage. Best of luck.

brantman (07-13-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 07:38 AM

Continuing: noise sounds much like when you drift onto the 'rumble strip' of the Interstate, except not nearly so sever. Meanwhile, I have located a 'good' differential in Charlotte..waiting for confirmation on that. Now I have to find a "wrench", otherwise they will find me under the car drowned in fluids and crushed by the subframe.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
Default rear end problem ?

hi this is dan l . i am sorry it took me so long to reply . i have ben working dubbles for a while and not checked e mails for over a week . looked at the thread . the person i would told you to check with gus at jag repair posted a reply. the first thing i would do is pull a oil sample or drain the oil to check for metal or berring pices. or drop the axles to see if the noise still was thire . once again i am sorry i mised your e mail . iwill keep a better check on my mail . also do youhave a manual . if not might be a good idea to down load one.dont be afraid to get back to me .be safe . best of luck dan l in darlington sc

brantman (07-15-2015)
Old 07-15-2015, 01:08 PM

The 'buy and answer' guy leans toward pinion bearings. I have a couple of rear ends located now, but I first need to 'open it up' to see what ails it. Still waiting on the local mechanic to return my call.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

It seems very unusual for the rear end to whine at 54k. My old XJS went 110k before the whine of the bearings started. I got a rebuilt unit from Coventry West and did the exchange. Dropping the entire rear end is not that bad, it is all the things you have to disconnect and then reattach that causes issues. Not sure if the procedure is the same but build the platform to drop in on and that on a jack will make the balance issue on dropping mute.

brantman (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 12:20 PM

I've had four opinions now, and all are the same. "It's inside the pumpkin". One of the better repair shops in the area declined the job, stating that they don't have the right equipment to remove the sub-frame. I've got another shop that specializes in rear ends, but never has done a Jag. I'll take it to him and see if he will swap rear ends for me. I'll probably go with the used unit from Coventry West, as it is the cheapest with the best warranty. Thanks for all the suggestions, etc. Mike

Old 08-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a yr 2000 XK8 with 70k and a slight clunk when it takes up the drive. No whine. I also have a yr 2002 XJ8 SE with 240,000 miles on the clock - and not a sound!
Is there any oil in it?
It's a 'sealed' unit of course, so you'll have to drill through the bottom to empty it. I would suggest a 1/8" pilot and then a 3/8" drill - 'pecking the last bit so the swarf doesn't go inside. You can tap the hole to plug it.
Alternatively, if it's never going to be used again, top up through the fill plug with water. If a lot goes in - it's scrap!

brantman (08-02-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member

I've had four opinions now, and all are the same. "It's inside the pumpkin". One of the better repair shops in the area declined the job, stating that they don't have the right equipment to remove the sub-frame. I've got another shop that specializes in rear ends, but never has done a Jag. I'll take it to him and see if he will swap rear ends for me. I'll probably go with the used unit from Coventry West, as it is the cheapest with the best warranty. Thanks for all the suggestions, etc. Mike
Talk to Coventry about doing the swap. I've seen several cars in there for replacements. Not sure what their policy is but it doesn't hurt to ask.

brantman (08-02-2015)
Old 08-02-2015, 12:20 PM

I'm sure the chunk is not sealed. There is a link elsewhere showing how to access the filler lug. You have to drill a 2 inch hole through the trunk (boot) to expose the lug. Then I suppose you siphon the fluid out. Guy said it took 3 hours and most of that was waiting on the juice to come out. BTW, I didn't know Coventry West did work on cars. If my next mechanic declines, I may well head up there and let them do it. Also, I think that the XJ and the XK rear end systems are totally different. No one complains about pulling the XJ rear end, but everybody hates the XK set up! I'll let you-all know how this turns out. I hope I don't need to mortgage the house!

Old 08-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

2000 XJ and XK have identical setup.

It is not necessary to drill anything to reach the fill plug. Just makes
it easier according to some people. For a job done once a year at
most, not really necessary.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Any piece of kit without a drainplug is a sealed item.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XK8 rear end noise