XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 suspension hell.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XK8 suspension hell.

Ever start something and wish you hadnt bothered......I did today!

Had a knocking on the front end going over "traffic calming measures", set out to replace the drop links, then thought why not do a poly bush kit whilst Im at it....... and there starts my day from hell.......

Getting the upper wishbone fulcrum bolt out was the worst job ever, I ended up cutting through it to release one side completely, then taking the bolt head off and pulling the arm off leaving the offending bolt remains.

After much persuasion I got it out and pleased to see the alloy cross-member had not suffered too much.

Then I went on to remove the steering rack mounts, of course the bottom bolts snapped so drilled and tapped them out.

Found the shock bushes were probably the cause of the noise so ordered them and two new fulcrum pivot bolts.

So tired frozen and a little burnt from heating and cutting I look forward to tomorrow when I can tackle the off-side and replace all of those pressed in bushes......

Question: When I was....er..... persuading the fulcrum bolt out I noticed a small amount of movement on the entire alloy cross-member, from what I can see its mounted on rubber towards the front, is this normal or do I need to look further before I put it all back together.

Cheers

Paul

Old 01-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Pics...of the cross member rubber you describe PLS. Btw, I've been there, know how you feel. My nightmare was the ball joint separation from the knuckle.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by thepog
Ever start something and wish you hadnt bothered......I did today!

Had a knocking on the front end going over "traffic calming measures", set out to replace the drop links, then thought why not do a poly bush kit whilst Im at it....... and there starts my day from hell.......

Getting the upper wishbone fulcrum bolt out was the worst job ever, I ended up cutting through it to release one side completely, then taking the bolt head off and pulling the arm off leaving the offending bolt remains.

After much persuasion I got it out and pleased to see the alloy cross-member had not suffered too much.

Then I went on to remove the steering rack mounts, of course the bottom bolts snapped so drilled and tapped them out.

Found the shock bushes were probably the cause of the noise so ordered them and two new fulcrum pivot bolts.

So tired frozen and a little burnt from heating and cutting I look forward to tomorrow when I can tackle the off-side and replace all of those pressed in bushes......

Question: When I was....er..... persuading the fulcrum bolt out I noticed a small amount of movement on the entire alloy cross-member, from what I can see its mounted on rubber towards the front, is this normal or do I need to look further before I put it all back together.

Cheers

Paul
Paul,

You've had a busy day today and another one ahead tomorrow by the sound of it. At least the fulcrum bolt is out. Last one I did on my 2001 took three days of heat and hammering.

The front crossmember has four mountings:

XK8 suspension hell.-xk8-4.2-front-crossmember.jpg

Presumably it's item 2 (the round rubber bushes) at the front and not item 3 you're concerned about? Whilst there ought to be some slight flex, it should still be attached to the car! Check the rear ones (item 3) as these can leak.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
thepog (01-31-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 05:52 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
Pics...of the cross member rubber you describe PLS. Btw, I've been there, know how you feel. My nightmare was the ball joint separation from the knuckle.
H2Oboy,

Did you replace crossmember rubber bushes - if so, with OE or poly?

I'm definitely going to go with poly for the upper wishbones next time but would welcome advice on the front crossmember bushes.

Graham

Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

The fulcrum bolts are notorious for freezing up. Realizing this to be the case I applied Kroil deep penetrating oil on both ends and in the middle for two days in advance of removal. Made the job much easier. I would suggest this practice on all suspension bolts you plan to remove. As regards the crossmember (sub frame) bushes, I believe they are only available with OEM rubber composite and the rubber degrades with time. However one of the Forum tech members would be the best source of info on these parts. If you are planning to do the bushes on the lower control arms, plan on much more time and labor. The old bushes can be very difficult to extricate from the four lower arms. Be sure to protect the ball joints and have a press available to set the new poly bushes on the lower arms.

The following users liked this post:
thepog (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 AM

Hi all, and thanks for the replys.
I am not replacing the cross member mounts, however I think I have worked out the movement issue, its only a couple of mm and the cause is simple now I have a clearer mind.
I have the car on stands below the cross member, the movement seems to be the flex in the rubbers due to the cars weight shifting slightly as I manipulate the fulcrum bolt.
I have had a better morning on the car just awaiting my shock bushes ad then I will start on the nearside. Should be back on the road ready for work Saturday am, deep joy!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:16 PM
Default Happy day today

Well the off-side fulcrum bolt came out with my finger tips!

Down side is that I need to fit a new bottom ball joint, got that out and awaiting a new one tomorrow.

Got all of the new poly bushes fitted including the ARB, just waiting on the shock bushes which is holding the job up now.

Geometry check and two new tyres once its settled in for a couple of days.

Many thanks for all your advice and help, as a new member its good to know that there is a lot of experience to hand.

Going to celebrate with a beer, just onre tho as I want the car finished before the weather changes tomorrow, in which case the Jag will stay home and I will be in the roller skate.