XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR coupe sounds from chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XKR coupe sounds from chassis

I've had my car for a month now, so I've want to see if these sounds are normal...

I hear creaking inside the cabin from the chasis when I'm on rough roads (driving slow w/radio off), anyone in Atlanta knows the roads here are terrible everywhere, uneven, potholes, etc. It seems to originate around the seats (recaros) or the doors but not exactly sure, but it's as if the car body is twisting and tweaking when hitting imperfections in the road. It does have 20's and the handling package so it's a stiff ride to begin with, just curious to see if others have experienced the same creaking sounds. It's not exactly loud, but noticeable to me. The cupholder center armrest plastic thingy is creaky too.

Also, after I start the car and begin to drive I can hear what sounds like metal pinging or tinging or something similar to what you might hear after you turn a big engined car off. The sound of the metal contracting as it cools off. Does the XKR make those sounds as the car begins to heat up? I thought it might be the exhaust pipes expanding as they heat up and tinging. They are sounds coming from outside the car with the windows down, I can notice it during the first 5 minutes or so of driving slowly. Other than that I could only assume it might be suspension related.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I have the same car & wheels. I do get very occasional chassis creaking, but it has not worried me so far. Is the pinging you describe like a giant mouse click? If so, it"s probably the active shocks. I have the same problem, but am learning to live with it as new shocks cost $$$

Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I think the seat rails and/or seat frame is responsible. My seat squeaks sometimes too, if I find that perfect spot in the height/horizontal position, I can limit it to almost nothing. Try some major adjustments and see if it persists. My seat control module also was making some noise, so I added little rubber bushes between the frame and the module...seemed to help a bit.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may sound like click, certainly random and more noticeable when I'm starting out, maybe because I can't hear it at speed. Are the active shocks supposed to make any clicks or is it a sign of wear or age? Only have 22k on car but it's still a 7 year old car. I'd be interested to know more about how they work, kinda wish they were adjustable too.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I have this creaking/rattling as well an have been chasing it down recently. I think its coming from the rear shocks as you can push down the rear of the car and hear it with the very slightest movement. I have lubed the shock bushes and upper insulators (as well as every other moving part in the rear) and this is not the problem, it must be inside the shock. I think it's the electronic mechanism that changes the shock rate rattling since I heaven't heard this complaint from the non-supercharged car owners..

Old 09-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

By the way, I was thinking of going to the dealer and seeing if they could program the rear shocks to change their pattern and tighten up slightly at slow speeds to see if the rattle stops. There may also be chassis codes showing the problem.