XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR Intermittent DSC fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking XKR Intermittent DSC fault

When I first experienced the DSC fault light a few weeks ago, I got on the JAG Forum and followed the procedure of cleaning the individual wheel sensors on all four wheels. About seven days after this procedure, I now see the light has come on again, and then off during the same driving day. What is anyone's guess as to the probable cause after the cleaning of the wheel sensors have been done? My rear tires (tyres for you Brits) need changing and I do have an appointment Monday for that.

This is a 2005 model with 82,000 miles on it now.

Last edited by Arland Green; 09-07-2012 at 07:34 AM. Reason: added year and mileage
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Are you getting an amber warning displaying DSC or DSC SYSTEM FAULT?

If it's DSC, this is advising you that the DSC is operating. If you're getting an intermittent DSC SYSTEM FAULT and have eradicated wheel sensors and harnesses as the cause, this can be an early indication of a failing battery.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Arland Green (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
If it's DSC, this is advising you that the DSC is operating.

Graham
Graham,
Why does this sound familiar?

Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Graham,
Why does this sound familiar?
Steve,

There have been a few similar posts.

Not surprising as the obvious and immediate conclusion on seeing a DSC flashing amber warning is to assume something is wrong. My reaction on first seeing it in a fast corner and feeling the rather strange behaviour as the brakes and suspension self-adjusted wasn't to reach for the Driver's Handbook.

Can't imagine how this design survived development and testing, let alone continued throughout the production phase of the XK8/XKR.

It's probably worth summarising the ASC / DSC systems here:

The theory is the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) adds another level of control to the Anti-Lock Braking System, Traction Control and Yaw Control on the 4.2 models. It supersedes the simpler ASC on the earlier 4.0 models.

1. Anti-lock Braking prevents wheels from locking and skidding during emergency braking.

2. Traction Control intervenes to prevent wheel spin by automatically reducing engine power output and applying braking to individual wheels.

3. Yaw Control assesses the vehicle's direction relative to driver input and applies braking pressure to individual wheels if excessive variation is detected.

DSC supposedly masterminds the three and further tweaks individual brake pressures.

I use my XK8 throughout the winter and, with the icy roads we had in December and January, was able to compare performance of the 2005 with DSC against my 2001 XK8 with ASC. The result on the 2005 with DSC was noticeably increased pulsing from the rear brakes in situations where better progress could be achieved with a controlled slide. Switching it off was an improvement.

Graham

Old 09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking You guys are tongue in cheek and smart- thanks a lot

You two are great- It does come on when I make a sharp corner. I live on a lake that is served by a winding curvy road. I love to watch the Corvette guys ( 2 on this side of the lake) slow down and brake for the 15 mile an hour curve that I take when they are behind me at 40 without touching the brake. However, the only times thiis DSC Fault has come on, amber, is when I make one of these manuevers. Ergo, there is likely nothing wrong other than the possibility of a battery situation which I will have examined on Monday when I put two new tires on the back to replace the rubber loss from the jack rabbit starts I do to try to impress people I may never see again. Yes, it is a sickness, but if you have to be sick, get an XKR JAG and get sick like this! Again, thanks a lot.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:06 AM
GGG

Arland,

I first found this DSC 'spirited cornering' effect with my 4.2 in a similar way to you but on a much more mundane piece of road. After five years driving a 2001 XK8 fitted with the earlier ASC on the same piece of road, I thought something was seriously the matter with my 2005!

Far better with DSC switched off. Unfortunately it sets to ON by default each time the engine is started.

Keep impressing the Jack Rabbits and defying the Corvette's.

Graham