XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another convertible top question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default yet another convertible top question

Hi everyone. I have been using a resistor voltage reduction method (link to the post is below) for a long time

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ressure-53086/

Since the top operation gets longer with the resistor in place, every now and then i have two push up or button button twice. I am assuming that there is a timer in place and once it times out the pump shuts off regardless of the top position. But once i push the button second time, it picks it up exactly where left of and completes the cycle. I don't remember if this is how it was behaving from the beginning and just want to post it here to see what you guys think. It doesn't really bother me that much as long as I am not creating an issue. The fluid level is ok, fluid is greenish in color so I don't think I have an issue with gelling.

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I also have the voltage reduction kit installed and experience the same thing. I don't think it is a problem.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by MRomanik
I also have the voltage reduction kit installed and experience the same thing. I don't think it is a problem.
thank you for your reply, much appreciated

Old 05-05-2019, 11:39 AM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi,

i've installed a similar resistor and no issues so far ( XK8 4.2 MY 2003). If it is of interest i would measure the time needed to finish an top up or top down process.

Fritz

Old 05-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Gents,

With any of the pressure-reducing mods for the convertible top, we give up some "margin of error" between what is required to operate the top and what the pump can produce. On a particular car, let's say one where the top could use some lubrication, the pressure-reduced pump might fail to operate the top.

With an internal or external relief valve we can tweak the valve to make a little more pressure. With a resistor, no such tweaking is available, and the next best thing would be to change out the resistor for one of slightly lower resistance (most of the resistors purchased for this mod have 10% tolerance so you could even try a different resistor having the same nominal resistance value).

Reko19 ... I would first try a little lube on the joints of the convertible top frame. If that does not do it you could change out the resistor, or leave things alone and operate the top by using sort of a press-release-press action on the rocker switch if the top seems about to stall, or ... just reach up and give the top a little tug to help it along if it's about to stall. I have my top set up with just about the minimum pressure that will operate it, and every now and then, especially in colder weather, I have to reach up and help it along just a bit.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Gents,

With any of the pressure-reducing mods for the convertible top, we give up some "margin of error" between what is required to operate the top and what the pump can produce. On a particular car, let's say one where the top could use some lubrication, the pressure-reduced pump might fail to operate the top.

With an internal or external relief valve we can tweak the valve to make a little more pressure. With a resistor, no such tweaking is available, and the next best thing would be to change out the resistor for one of slightly lower resistance (most of the resistors purchased for this mod have 10% tolerance so you could even try a different resistor having the same nominal resistance value).

Reko19 ... I would first try a little lube on the joints of the convertible top frame. If that does not do it you could change out the resistor, or leave things alone and operate the top by using sort of a press-release-press action on the rocker switch if the top seems about to stall, or ... just reach up and give the top a little tug to help it along if it's about to stall. I have my top set up with just about the minimum pressure that will operate it, and every now and then, especially in colder weather, I have to reach up and help it along just a bit.
Understood, doesn't really bother me that much if I have to press the switch twice. I will look into lubricating the top as well.

thank you