XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another mystery!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Yet another mystery!

I've been having fun detailing my new (to me) car and, now that I have everything squared away in the back, I have moved on to the front!

Looking up under the nose of the car I found this relay just sort of tucked up behind the bumper on the driver's side. In looking around I cannot seem to locate where it should be mounted.

I suppose I could just zip tie it to something nearby but I'd rather mount it properly in its original location.

Also, I was just getting ready to place an order for some parts and figured if I needed a clip or bracket for this I'd order it at the same time.

Does anybody happen to know how and where this is supposed to be mounted?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Yet another mystery!-relay.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

I crawled around under my '01 and dont see anything like that...actually I don't see any connections laying loose. Seems like it would be fog light, cooling fan, or headlight related, (if anything) but if those all work I would tie it out of the way for now.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

If it didn't have so many wires connected I would have voted for the outside air temp sensor. It's in the same location on Mercedes.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocky125
I've been having fun detailing my new (to me) car and, now that I have everything squared away in the back, I have moved on to the front!

Looking up under the nose of the car I found this relay just sort of tucked up behind the bumper on the driver's side. In looking around I cannot seem to locate where it should be mounted.

I suppose I could just zip tie it to something nearby but I'd rather mount it properly in its original location.

Also, I was just getting ready to place an order for some parts and figured if I needed a clip or bracket for this I'd order it at the same time.

Does anybody happen to know how and where this is supposed to be mounted?

Thanks in advance!
My car has this mounted vertically above the location shown in your pic. It's the Radiator Fan Control Relay:

Attached Thumbnails Yet another mystery!-radfanrly.jpg  

Last edited by Paul Pavlik; 07-02-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Looking up under the nose of the car .............
.......... are you missing most of the black Undertray?

Yet another mystery!-undertray-2.jpg

It could be the angle the pic is taken, but I can only see the end of the Undertray.

Graham

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM

Jacsun: Thank you for taking the time to look under your car for me – I really appreciate it!

Paul Pavlik: Thanks for identifying the relay for me! When you say it is vertically mounted on your car, how is it mounted? That is, is it attached with a clip, some sort of bracket or rubber sleeve or bellows?

I know I’m being silly in not just zip tying it securely to something but I kind of want to have it mounted as it originally was.

GGG: Wow, good eye - I didn’t even know I was supposed to have a black undertray! I’ll look at my car more closely later tonight and compare it to the picture you sent. It could well be broken or missing as there are a few scrapes on the bottom of the bumper cover (but fortunately nothing else looks scraped up on the bottom of the car).

Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Paul Pavlik: Thanks for identifying the relay for me! When you say it is vertically mounted on your car, how is it mounted? That is, is it attached with a clip, some sort of bracket or rubber sleeve or bellows?
I can't get a Picture of the mounting location without removing the Bumper Cover. The Module is mounted to the front side of a vertical metal structure behind the Bumper Cover and next to the left side of the Radiator. I don't know how it's attached.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:54 PM

I just wanted to follow up on this and thank everyone for their help!

As far as the black undertray, I do have one. It is just kind of small and I did not recall seeing it but after looking at the diagram supplied by GGG and climbing under the car, it is there after all!

Thanks for the info on the mounting, Paul. At this point I just broke down and ziptied it to a support brace. I'm sure it will be just fine and I'll probably be the only person to ever know that it is not in it's "factory" location!