Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Taking wax off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Taking wax off?

Hello everyone! I ordered a very good Wax and was wondering how to take the old wax off so I can put the good one on. Any suggestions? Thanks!

- Pilotman

Old 11-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I read up on that some because I want to touch up a few small spots and read that strong grease cutting dish soap like Dawn for example work well. Depending on the current condition you might consider a clay bar or what I use instead is a Nano Skin kit..

The following users liked this post:
jess.w (01-07-2021)
Old 11-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I use plain old regular Dawn with no flavors. Claybar the car using spray bottle with water and light Dawn mix for lube, give it another dawn wash then go to town on polish/wax.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:33 AM
XJL
Received 141 Likes on 109 Posts

Use Iron X, a claybar with lubricant and then Dawn.

CarPro Iron X Lemon Scent, auto iron remover

What kind of wax did you order?

Last edited by XJL; 11-23-2015 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 138 Likes on 82 Posts

I would recommend using a pre wax cleaner such as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Paintwork Cleansing Lotion uses a combination of gloss-enhancing oils, gentle chemical cleaners, and micro-fine fillers to polish your car without abrasives. It removes the layers of old wax and exfoliates the paint surface to restore, renew, and rejuvenate. Oils replenish the paint’s texture while the fillers hide any minor imperfections. You vehicle will look new, only better.

Dawn is highly alkaline and can work against the rubber surrounds and weatherstripping over time with extended use and long sit times.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:16 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Ace Hardware, odorless PAINT THINNER..Use multiple Micro-fiber towels/rags and throw them away when they have dried out.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Get a good scratch remover.
Removes the wax with all kinds of marks.
I do it every year.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use Dish soap over here.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PinnacleWax
I would recommend using a pre wax cleaner such as Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.

Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion

Paintwork Cleansing Lotion uses a combination of gloss-enhancing oils, gentle chemical cleaners, and micro-fine fillers to polish your car without abrasives. It removes the layers of old wax and exfoliates the paint surface to restore, renew, and rejuvenate. Oils replenish the paint’s texture while the fillers hide any minor imperfections. You vehicle will look new, only better.

Dawn is highly alkaline and can work against the rubber surrounds and weatherstripping over time with extended use and long sit times.
I have read this on other forums regarding Dawn being problematic with weatherstripping.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 AM
Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

+1 for Dawn

I have also used Simple Green Slightly diluted works well.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I use a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl with water.

I have a black car with probably water-based acrylic polyurethane enamel paint with clear coat and I find the above is very effective.

I am guessing at the enamel paint however one of the "issues" with enamel is "orange peel".

If I look at a body panel at a very slight angle with daylight coming into my garage with me looking out I can see very very faint orange peel which I cannot see
under a bright light or outdoors.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Got enough answers/opinions yet? Wait... you will get more, lol. Here's a guy, very passionate about detailing if quirky - that threw away his Dawn Dish detergent, for an interesting way to do it. He knows what he's talking about, but as I say, everyone has an opinion. Ask 3 people, get three different answers. It depends on what makes sense to you, how labor intensive you are willing to go, etc. Me? I detail some part of my car every day, and wash it daily as well. I am a slave to my car, as one friend said. Anyway - check it out, if you haven't gotten enough ideas yet!

Old 10-31-2019, 08:45 PM
Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks Blairware

Just ordered some of the Car Wash Plus as demonstrated above. Sounds like it's worth a try and I like the polish aspect of it.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member

Ordered the Pinnacle product just now. Will give that a try.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

I have no experience with the Pinnacle product, and while it sounds promising, I feel more comfort level with a Merguiars product than a standalone product from a company I have little or no experience with. I am very curious of course, so if your being the guinea pig / canary in this particular coalmine, can you pop back in and give is a debrief of your results? Removing wax is something I rarely do, exceptions being a new (used) car with an undocumented paint product history (lol - my obsessive nature is exposing itself, lol) - for most situations I get by with a heavy duty clay bar/synthetic clay bar process, some spot compounding, one or more glaze/polish treatments with the DA Polisher. Then it's 2 hand wax applications and maintenance for 4-6 months. Rinse, repeat. Not describing maintenance here. It would be excessive, and my posts already lapse into novela's.

Everone's experiences help the rest of us make good choices. Keep us posted on what works for YOU. By the way, I am about to try this:

for no other reason than curiosity. The "Negative Ion/Positive Ions that "Draw the wax into the paint" is getting a bit over the top. I am sure the science is valid, if not the claims that the product will do. They should tone down the promises on the packaging, "Protects up to three years" Okay. Whatever. Lets see what it can do.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blairware
I have no experience with the Pinnacle product, and while it sounds promising, I feel more comfort level with a Merguiars product than a standalone product from a company I have little or no experience with. I am very curious of course, so if your being the guinea pig / canary in this particular coalmine, can you pop back in and give is a debrief of your results? Removing wax is something I rarely do, exceptions being a new (used) car with an undocumented paint product history (lol - my obsessive nature is exposing itself, lol) - for most situations I get by with a heavy duty clay bar/synthetic clay bar process, some spot compounding, one or more glaze/polish treatments with the DA Polisher. Then it's 2 hand wax applications and maintenance for 4-6 months. Rinse, repeat. Not describing maintenance here. It would be excessive, and my posts already lapse into novela's.

Everone's experiences help the rest of us make good choices. Keep us posted on what works for YOU. By the way, I am about to try this:

for no other reason than curiosity. The "Negative Ion/Positive Ions that "Draw the wax into the paint" is getting a bit over the top. I am sure the science is valid, if not the claims that the product will do. They should tone down the promises on the packaging, "Protects up to three years" Okay. Whatever. Lets see what it can do.
Ok so I regularly use Meguiars. However in my efforts to wet sand my hood to get rid of orange peel, after I painted it, Meguiars leaves a "residue" that I have to get rid
of if I want to continue sanding. So my needs here are a little different.