F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I disable auto start/stop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:06 AM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default How do I disable auto start/stop?

The discussion has been conducted before, but I would like to ask for it to be conducted once more. My hope it's that in the past few months someone has found a way to remove this evil.
Does anyone know of a way to permanently disable it?
Preferably without removing any battery, although an explanation of that would also be helpful. My dream is to get on my car and drive it away, without having to turn off eco mode and turn on the exhaust. I would feel more comfortable calling it a sports car then.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm like you - it's so annoying to have to push two extra buttons instead of just being able to set defaults once and for all.

Goodness knows I've searched everywhere for it, with no luck.

If anyone can work it out, I'll be very grateful too.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Just drive in sport mode all the time. Done.

The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Schwabe (04-22-2015), Unhingd (02-24-2015), XJL (12-10-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

look up the fuse, turn it off, pull the fuse ... done

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

EDIT: not sure any more whether this is the appropriate fuse so am removing the post to ensure non-one tries it.

It seems the fuse is located in the ... Section removed

I would not be game to do it.

Last edited by OzRisk; 02-24-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

First thing I turn off when I start the car...problem solved.

Mark7Seven (01-03-2022)
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On the XFR, you just disconnect the small secondary battery in the trunk. Takes all of 30 seconds, and is completely reversible. I would think the F-Type is the same setup.

The_Ikon (01-20-2022)
Old 02-24-2015, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by texevora
On the XFR, you just disconnect the small secondary battery in the trunk. Takes all of 30 seconds, and is completely reversible. I would think the F-Type is the same setup.
The same is true on the F-Type, but I find the complaint about start/stop just plain silly. There are so many ways to get around it.

1) Move shift lever to left for sport mode, or
2) move switch to dynamic mode, or
3) turn off eco-mode switch, or
4) paddle downshift one gear when braking to stop, even in automatic, or
5) disconnect small battery.

Any of these will disable eco-mode at the next full stop. Take your pick, but I can't imagine how anyone could find any of those options bothersome.

The world is changing folks, and regulations world-wide are requiring manufacturers to meet fuel economy targets, which will get very stringent in a few years. Those laws are already on the books. If you want to have choices for performance cars in years to come, you have to accept things like this. Otherwise, your only choices will be to purchase an electric car or tiny econo-box in the future.

At that point, you'll have something legitimate to complain about!

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
The_Ikon (01-20-2022), Unhingd (02-24-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did mine in the first week of ownership.

How to permantley disable the Eco stop start

Rear of your car,
Lift up the tail gate,
Lift out the boot lining ( there are two sections that just clip out )
You will see two battery's
Do not touch the big battery that's located on the left hand side.

Disconnect the earth terminal on the small battery that's located in the rear center ( the battery looks the same size as a pint of milk in a carton )
Cable tie the earth strap out of the way ( keep it away from the positive lead though!
The above procedure should take no longer than 5 mins.

Job done!
No more forgetting to press your Eco button
No warming lights on your dash,
No cutting out at junctions,
If you feel that your losing 10p a day on fuel simply Reconnect the lead

The following 2 users liked this post by Trance raver:
IronMike (02-24-2015), The_Ikon (01-20-2022)
Old 02-24-2015, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

"I have First World problems. My House Keeper is failing to clean my gold plated taps properly. I have summarily fired two of them so far, but they seem unable to leave them fingerprint-free. I am at my Wits End. Please help before I set fire to my current House Keeper."

Stick it on Sport, or learn to brake to a halt so that it doesn't activate.

Alternatively, disconnect the Stop-Start battery.

Smile, and think Happy Thoughts...

Old 02-24-2015, 04:41 PM

I was hoping there would be something other than disconnecting the battery, but I guess that's what I'll end up doing. I just hope it didn't cause some random electrical problems.
Thanks to the those who are responding with helpful advice.
We all have our pet peeves, and for some of us, this is worthy of our annoyance.

Last edited by hardwired; 02-24-2015 at 04:47 PM.
The_Ikon (01-20-2022)
Old 02-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

As was said above, there are a number of other things you can do besides disconnecting the battery. Does it bother you to have to push the start button to fire the engine and pull the shift lever to put it in gear?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by texevora
Yes it is, according to my Jag mechanic... remove negative and tape it off.
Lawrence.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh
As was said above, there are a number of other things you can do besides disconnecting the battery. Does it bother you to have to push the start button to fire the engine and pull the shift lever to put it in gear?
No, I'm cool with that. It's just the eco mode and the exhaust button. They default to the opposite of what they should. It is morally wrong, and betrays the essence of the vehicle.

Pauluucho (04-21-2022)
Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have another option.

Come up to New England during the interminably long winter. The car never gets warm enough to engage the eco mode.

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I wasn't waiting for the engine temperature to get high enough that I could comfortably switch the car into dynamic mode. This always happens before it gets warm enough to engage eco mode. For me, dynamic and/or sport mode is what I'm driving in > 90% of the time. Both of these modes disable eco mode. As long as I get back in the car within 8 hours, it stays in dynamic mode.

Maybe it's the difference between the V6 and the V8. In the V6, there is almost no down side to keeping it in dynamic mode. Sure the throttle gets a bit more sensitive, but unless you go all postal on it, it will rarely get too crazy on city streets. I have never driven the V8, so maybe that's different. I chose the V6 for that very reason. I could not fathom any driving situation in New England where I'd want more power, and since I don't intend to track my car, street driving in New England is where it will spend most of it's life. To each their own though.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Yes it is, according to my Jag mechanic... remove negative and tape it off.
Lawrence.
I spoke to a guy at the service department at SJBM and he said disconnecting the battery would cause some electrical problem. At this point, it just comes down to trusting the forum more than the dealer.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Trance raver
Did mine in the first week of ownership.

How to permantley disable the Eco stop start

Rear of your car,
Lift up the tail gate,
Lift out the boot lining ( there are two sections that just clip out )
You will see two battery's
Do not touch the big battery that's located on the left hand side.

Disconnect the earth terminal on the small battery that's located in the rear center ( the battery looks the same size as a pint of milk in a carton )
Cable tie the earth strap out of the way ( keep it away from the positive lead though!
The above procedure should take no longer than 5 mins.

Job done!
No more forgetting to press your Eco button
No warming lights on your dash,
No cutting out at junctions,
If you feel that your losing 10p a day on fuel simply Reconnect the lead
Curious how long you've had this modification in place, and if there have been any issues you have chosen not to share... Such as, some other service or feature that no longer works, excess drain on the main battery, etc....

Old 02-24-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hardwired
I spoke to a guy at the service department at SJBM and he said disconnecting the battery would cause some electrical problem. At this point, it just comes down to trusting the forum more than the dealer.
Most of the service advisors one speaks with on the phone are pretty clueless. What that guy told you was absolutely incorrect. They are not technicians, just guys who write-up service paperwork and answer the phone.

I've seen a dozen or more very reliable sources in more posts than I can count on this forum, verifying that you can disconnect the start-stop battery with no effect other than a permanent disabling of eco-mode. The small battery is only there to power the eco mode-related functions. Many have done it, and not one single person has reported any problem.

However, I think even that is silly and completely unnecessary. I never even turn off the eco-mode button, and I've never had my engine shut down, except when I was testing to see what it felt like (not a big deal). There are so many other ways to avoid it.

Do me a favor and try the following: leave, eco-mode on, drive in normal automatic, regular mode, and just downshift one gear when rolling up to a stop and see what happens. You will need to enable your paddles to work in both automatic and sport mode, which is a choice under settings in the steering wheel menu. You will have to move your left-hand finger(s) about 1/2 inch to do this (assuming two hands on the wheel), but that's all the effort it takes.

By downshifting, even in automatic you'll even cut down on brake dust, which takes much more effort to clean off than pushing a little button after you start the car.

The_Ikon (01-20-2022)
Old 02-25-2015, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh

Do me a favor and try the following: leave, eco-mode on, drive in normal automatic, regular mode, and just downshift one gear when rolling up to a stop and see what happens. You will need to enable your paddles to work in both automatic and sport mode, which is a choice under settings in the steering wheel menu. You will have to move your left-hand finger(s) about 1/2 inch to do this (assuming two hands on the wheel), but that's all the effort it takes.

By downshifting, even in automatic you'll even cut down on brake dust, which takes much more effort to clean off than pushing a little button after you start the car.
Your wish is my command... But only if I feel like it
but seriously though, I tried the downshift thingy and it sort of works, but I end up forgetting I'm in a low gear and accelerate too quickly, which is fun
I could get used to it, maybe. It's an interesting experiment either way
also, I really don't like you. I'm glad I don't personally know you because you feel like the type of person I would befriend.
ninja edit: no insult meant, you just both annoy and interest me

The_Ikon (01-20-2022)
Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

If you leave the car in dynamic mode, it starts up again in dynamic and then it won't do the Edo thing ..... I think.

Quick Reply: How do I disable auto start/stop?