Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater does not work - hot or cold S-type

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:12 AM
Location: Bedford, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heater does not work - hot or cold S-type

I have a problem with the heating in my car I recently had my aircon coolant recharged but now i have no heat or cold air. Any ideas?

Old 09-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

You most likely have an issue with the water control valve, climate control computer, or both.

The water valve on the vehicle is prone to leaking internally, then shorting out the climate control computer.

I rebuild about 3 of those (computers) per month.

Try to borrow an infrared thermometer and measure the water temp coming out of the water valve to see if it's opening.

The following users liked this post:
allnlu (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Lots of info in the S-Type forum. This is General Tech

allnlu (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 03:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by allnlu
I have a problem with the heating in my car I recently had my aircon coolant recharged but now i have no heat or cold air. Any ideas?
I've moved your question from General Tech Help to S-Type forum. This is the place to post tech questions about your model.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
allnlu (09-26-2014), JagV8 (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

You don't rebuild the climate control modules. The only thing that happens is a PCB trace gets burned. The repair is soldering a wire to replace the burned trace. Very simple to do. That repair has been posted with pictures several times if you are interested enough to search for them.

If you continue to operate the car with a bad DCCV the valve will draw increasing amounts of current until you either replace the DCCV or you burn the PCB trace in the CCM or RCCM. There are two different modules depending on if the car has navigation or not. It appears the RCCM (For cars with navigation) is a bit harder to burn out.

So the real key is to change the DCCV as soon as possible if you are having heating/cooling problems.

Do you know if this has been replaced?

Why was the car recharged? If you did not repair anything you have a leak and the AC won't last long.

Any details on that?

allnlu (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I think it may be the RCCM that is more easily damaged, but the point is well made.

allnlu (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

[QUOTE=tbird6;1066661]You don't rebuild the climate control modules. The only thing that happens is a PCB trace gets burned. The repair is soldering a wire to replace the burned trace. Very simple to do. That repair has been posted with pictures several times if you are interested enough to search for them.

Rebuild/repair, however you choose to word it... I have had several where the power transistor has failed. Granted, not as common as the typical burning of the traces. I recommend installing resettable PTC fuses, which I put in so further damage should not occur.

allnlu (09-27-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by allnlu
...........now i have no heat or cold air. Any ideas?
I think we need more info... This could be interpreted as your fan is not working...so nothing blows and therefore you can't tell what temp it is or isn't.

OR, it could be that the blower is working but the air temp is the same as ambient, in which case if you have a temperature selected that is below ambient, your DCCV is remaining closed as it should but your a/c is dysfunctional OR your a/c is working great but you have a very minor internal leak in both sides of the DCCV.

But then, maybe you are trying to heat (Set point > ambient) and your DCCV is stuck closed on both sides?

I recommend you set the climate control to "Hi" (full hot) with the engine running and at operating temperature and take note of the vent temp vs. ambient, then switch to "Lo" (full cold) and again note the vent temp vs. ambient. Maybe I'm complicating it too much but I can't say what your possible problems are from your initial description.

allnlu (09-27-2014)
Old 09-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Location: Bedford, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I think we need more info... This could be interpreted as your fan is not working...so nothing blows and therefore you can't tell what temp it is or isn't.

OR, it could be that the blower is working but the air temp is the same as ambient, in which case if you have a temperature selected that is below ambient, your DCCV is remaining closed as it should but your a/c is dysfunctional OR your a/c is working great but you have a very minor internal leak in both sides of the DCCV.

But then, maybe you are trying to heat (Set point > ambient) and your DCCV is stuck closed on both sides?

I recommend you set the climate control to "Hi" (full hot) with the engine running and at operating temperature and take note of the vent temp vs. ambient, then switch to "Lo" (full cold) and again note the vent temp vs. ambient. Maybe I'm complicating it too much but I can't say what your possible problems are from your initial description.
Hi
Many thanks for your post I decided that it was more than I could cope with as I don't have many tools. Anyway took it to my garage and apparently the heater valve was kaput. Also the coolant pipe had rusted through. I asked the garage about this and they said it was quite a common problem. I had tried by the way heating the car up to normal temp and putting it on full blast fan but whatever temperature I selected nothing cooled down or warmed up. The valve was £95 inc vat £25 for the coolant and £45 for the metal coolant pipe. I checked it and it was perforated with rust. So I am now £295 lighter in the funds, but hey ho I wouldn't change my old girl for the world (talking about the car by the way). Thanks for you advice unfortunately I posted it in the wrong section. Learn as we go eh!

aholbro1 (09-27-2014)