Non-Jaguar Vehicles This area is designated for discussion about non-Jaguar Vehicles.

Rolls-Royce vs Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

darkstar,

I would recommend getting one with the Certified Edition warranty. This is good from 6 years from the date of original purchase or 100,000 miles. The most trouble-free one would be the 08, but will cost more. You should have all the major problems fixed under warranty with the Certified Edition.

Good luck,

Mike

Old 03-23-2010, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Rolls Royce parts aren't cheap by any means but what happened at you about your Rolls Royce was a totally a mishappen .
Cost of Ownership is slightly cheaper if you go for Jaguar but nothing compares to a Rolls Royce namely you can see the difference when you hit the hotel park lots .
Design wise Rolls Royce is a winner but that's my opinion as I never like X350 style

Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cadillac
Rolls Royce parts aren't cheap by any means but what happened at you about your Rolls Royce was a totally a mishappen .
Cost of Ownership is slightly cheaper if you go for Jaguar but nothing compares to a Rolls Royce namely you can see the difference when you hit the hotel park lots .
Design wise Rolls Royce is a winner but that's my opinion as I never like X350 style

cadillac,

Given the RR demographics that indicate a typical owner is worth somewhere more than $14M, a repair bill of $15K is not much of a dent in his/her wallet.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yup, you might be right , let's not forget age factor as well :lol:

Old 03-25-2010, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Nope, RR has an image of its own .
Actually, I was told Silver Shadows were really headache and the most complicated cars ever built namely electric systems .
I can see your point at keeping your RR and I would do the same as well
Repairs still expensive but nobodys cares about you ride a ride which is worth $30-45K when new more than $200K . What people cares you own a Rolls Royce
It's like you buy a Rolex new price tag $15K but for years it depreciates let's say $5K but when you need to buy a new bracelet for it you would pay more than a brand new watch not a price tag $5K .
Image is everything and you pay for that

Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by darkstar
Last fall I bought a 1994 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur III just for a casual driver.

After 500 miles, it has cost about $15,000 to sort out electronic and hydraulic system issues.

I'm thinking about trading it for a newer '07 or '08 XJ8 (VDP) with some warranty left. But I would probably keep that car for 10 years.

I think some members have experience with both cars. It the Jaguar going to cause as much trouble as the RR? Would other members make that move?

Curious---Thanks!
Can I recommend for you the 2006 Jaguar XJ VP Super V8 Portofolio? Very exclusive car(140 in the US, 500 worldwide), solid reliability(Jaguar came first in reliability last year), has every option you could ask for, superb ride quality.

Or, I'd go with a Bentley Arnage. 2001-2004 BMW years.

Last edited by princemarko; 03-26-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cadillac
Nope, RR has an image of its own .
Actually, I was told Silver Shadows were really headache and the most complicated cars ever built namely electric systems .
I can see your point at keeping your RR and I would do the same as well
Repairs still expensive but nobodys cares about you ride a ride which is worth $30-45K when new more than $200K . What people cares you own a Rolls Royce
It's like you buy a Rolex new price tag $15K but for years it depreciates let's say $5K but when you need to buy a new bracelet for it you would pay more than a brand new watch not a price tag $5K .
Image is everything and you pay for that
cadillac,

The same could be said for owning a Jaguar but to a lesser extent obviously. One advantage Jaguars have over the RR is that they are easier to work on and parts are more readily available. As evidenced by this forum there are a number of older model types available as well as the newer models. Both Rolls Royces and Jaguars have that distinctly old world British charm that makes them so desirable.

If I had an unlimited budget I would like both a 3.8 Jaguar MKII and an early 60's Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is in perfect shape today, it will break just sitting in the garage (I'm not kidding!).
Thats the truth. When I drove mercedes, the mechanic I used had a RR in the shop for at least 2 years. It DID, in fact, break just while it was sitting at the shop.

For people who like classic British elegance, does anybody think that a late model VDP is on par with RR?
The '08 VDP will actually be BETTER. Better ride, better handling, better reliability.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag Po'
Thats the truth. When I drove mercedes, the mechanic I used had a RR in the shop for at least 2 years. It DID, in fact, break just while it was sitting at the shop.

The '08 VDP will actually be BETTER. Better ride, better handling, better reliability.
I would concur on this. You are looking at 14 years difference in technology as well as the Jaguar is almost a ton lighter.

Mike

Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A RR Silver Spur and an X350 Jag are completely different animals when it comes to ownership. An X350 is a fine everyday driver that shouldn't cause you any more trouble than any other somewhat 'normal', later model car. A 1990s Rolls Royce is NOT an everyday driver, unless you truly don't mind spending vast amounts of money on maintenance (as you've experienced). Sure, buying one is a great idea for an enthusiast who has always desired after having a Rolls in their driveway, but just don't drive it much. Run the car short distances on a weekly basis to keep the parts moving, but don't rely on it as your primary mode of transportation. You need to have a somewhat reliable car as an everydayer (ie. X350). Keep the Rolls, too, why not?
Good Luck!

Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd go for a 07 Jag because the X358 body style isn't very pretty IMHO. But then, it can be argued that the X308 is prettier than the X350, but, you'll lose out a bit on technology, and some power.

It is a bit sad that a Roller isn't a daily driver. You'd think a more expensive car would be more reliable regardless of age.

IMHO, Rolls stopped making truly pretty cars when they got rid of the two round headlamps, and picked it up a bit around 2000 or so, but lost it with the Phantom. That's right, I'm one of the few who don't really like the Phantom. Of course, the new Ghost looks like a more refined Phantom.

I'd have to say more of a Bentley Arnage seems suitable. Cheaper than a Rolls, and keeping a bit up with exclusivity.

Really, it's a bit more difficult to compare the cars because they are so different, and yet so similar.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This comparison is ridiculous.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Rollers: In the 1960s they were thick on the ground in every big city in UK, especially London. They seemed as common as the black taxicabs, and they were also always black. Not any more! First Mercedes superceded them, then lost it as even they became unreliable. Now the one you see bought by the same kind of people is the Range Rover (R-R again!). And they are also commonly in black. And very heavy on fuel like a Roller (about 9mpg. in London). They call such vehicles "Chelsea Tractors".
Leedsman.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always get a S-Type and have the arabs gold plate it for you.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
cadillac,

Jaguars have that distinctly old world British charm that makes them so desirable.

If I had an unlimited budget I would like a 3.8 Jaguar MKII
Yes! You read my mind!!! Perhaps a MKVII redone by the company mentioned in an earlier post today. That's perfection.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

For me they are nigh on impossible to compare.

In the 80's I was lucky enough to be able to use a Shadow for tootling around (a friend's).

Recently a Spirit. (again a friend's).

They are completely different animals to Jaguars. IMHO

Try hustling one through the twisties, they will do it, but you won't be relaxed.

Never had the opportunity to drive a recent one though.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member

That's why I highly recommend post '92 models with active suspension

I reckon in early Rolls Royce models if you said something "handling" , "hard cornering" you would be sacked or whatever else lol

Now, things are even more brilliant , I would not imagine a Rolls Royce 0-100 km/h under 5 secs , that's quick

Old 12-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Persanally Id never buy a R R. They must be real pig to park in Walmart........

I was once given a Rolex by my ex-girlfriends parents. I stopped wearing it. When I went to play golf with it on the comments basically fell into three catagories.

1. Your showing off and it's what we call in the UK 'chavy'
2. Its a fake
3. It's real and expensive therefore you have loads of cash therfore you can buy the next round in the bar.

Quick Reply: Rolls-Royce vs Jaguar