S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Rack Noise & TSB..Warranty Covered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Steering Rack Noise & TSB..Warranty Covered?

Hey guys, sorry i havent been on much i was very busy with the holidays and work. I hope everyone has been doing very well!

So Saturday I went to clean my s type r only to open the hood and have the fitting on the coolant hose going into the tank in the front of the engine break off squirting coolant everywhere. Luckly I was in my driveway and not out driving somewhere. However I did have to leave it in the driveway the rest of the weekend, not drive it and have to have it towed over an hour away to the dealer yesterday and ride along to get a jaguar to drive i guess it could have been a lot worse so thank God for that.

Anyways, one of my problems from my last service visit was never addressed, this link completely describes it as described under steering at bottom, mine isnt as bad but its getting progressively worse over time: http://thelurch.com/steering.htm

My old service advisor(also a manager and pretty much only handled AM clients) was always very helpful and courteous etc he got everything taken care of for me esp if i could give him a TSB or such. However, he departed on short notice and they do not have a replacement for him yet.[&o]

The new advisor doesnt seem to care as much,hes not a car guy, or would rather sell me an "additive" to fix the problem. He told me that the TSB doesnt apply to my car or it would come up under its VIN number.

The new service GM manager (old one also left with the old AM manager) seems pretty helpful but also a little busy(understandably) to take care of me himself

My question is shouldnt this problem be covered under my select edition warranty???
Even if not necc what could the advisor say to get it covered???

Thanks everyone as always!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Default RE: Steering Rack Noise & TSB..Warranty Covered?

where is brutal at? stop slacking off lol

Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  T15ESSJAG5.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  6.3 KBName:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  6.4 KBName:  T15ESSST101-1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  9.9 KBName:  tshirt03-2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  6.0 KB

Lol.........hey bmw745.............Brutals obviously takin things easy....why not send him a pm?

All the best

Jim

Old 01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would think the extended warranty would cover it.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

ORIGINAL: ken@britishparts.com

I would think the extended warranty would cover it.

Me too, and it probably will, but I've learned that simply becuase a TSB exists for a certain problem does necessarily mean the repair would be covered under a warranty.

Even if not necc what could the advisor say to get it covered???
After determining that the repair is covered I'd think it would have to be presented as a clear failure, not an impending failureand/or parts being replacedon speculation.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys for your input. I was able to speak with the replacement (only been there for a few days) for my old advisor this morning. He was much more courteous and interested in helping with my problem. He also took a few minutes to speak with the service tech (also an S type R owner) who informed him that I was indeed right but the so called TSB solutions are only longterm but not perm. fixes. The new advisor is trying to work with Jaguar to have it taken care of for me. This is a clear example of its not necc. what someone says to you but how they say it!

Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Notice to dealers from Select Edition warranty; "Under no circumstances will Select Edition cover repair of squeaking/rubbing noise from rack and pinion". That said the new fish killer additive fixes the problem and I have never had a car come back after the additive has been added complaining of the noise. The additive is only $6.00 and the special test drive procedure takes about 10 minutes if the engine is warm.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

hey real, i appreciate the info! they said the additive cost $130 though[&:] is it easily accessible to add it? is it $6 for anyone? im also affiliated and employed but multiple other dealers. they called to say it was ready today but didnt mention whether they had got Jaguar to cover it or not, they left a message as i was in meetings all day and didnt get out until around 5:15 and he had gone home.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

The fluid is $6.49 over the counter to anyone. The real name is "power steering friction modifier", we call it the "fish killer juice" because there is a warning label on the box picturing a dead fish with XXs for eyes. If your power steering fluid is low enough to add about 4 ounces of fluid without overfilling all that needs to be done is dump it in the reservoir on left fender well, white semi-transparent plastic reservoir with level indication marked on side facing engine. The test drive is just getting the engine and power steering fluid good and hot and then in a safe parking lot turn the wheel lock to lock and when you reach the lock position put a little pressure on the wheel to be sure the relief valve in the pump bypasses and you get that typical power steering pump noise(whine) please don't put the gorilla hands to it. Do this 15-20 times or until the noise is gone. It's worked every time for me.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

yay lol thanks for the advice, if they dont have it done tomorrow for me ill buy some and do it. Its simple enough 4some 1 like me to do lol