S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 s type fuel related problem/ wont start /

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 s type fuel related problem/ wont start /

i'm stumped.. i have a 2001 jag s type, here is the issue, started and died a few weeks ago, we dont drive the car allot, and car has 120k miles, i thought right away it was time replace fuel pumps, did that with some help from help from fellow forum member, units were used but in good working order from low miled donar car.. they were a pain to install, but feel they are installed correctley ,after the install, i listened and did hear and got the switsh sound when key is on from both pump located from under rear seat. i have votage to the pumps 10v when key is on , and 12v when cranking, but engine just cranks, i added fuel to where both tanks are full. the valve on top of engine has zero pressure. i spray starting fluid in throttle body and the car starts right up..grrrrr. I also put on new fuel filter, what could it be ?? Oh and i went back and checked the old fuel pump and it also works , so i really didnt need to replace the pump after all , glad i did if they are indeed newer or lower miles from the donar car.. I'm for ready for some good advise what to do next to fix this issue.. thanks in advance. Scott Moore, 812-430-5744 in case you want to call me

Last edited by texmanmoore; 11-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Scott, you definitely have voltage and hear the pumps run, but empty fuel rail; there may be a kink in the fuel line exiting the pump, air-lock, or clogged fuel filter. Replace the fuel filter if you havent done so. There also may have been a problem with the pump installation. If not careful, the output fuel line can become kinked against the fuel sending unit. You're better off removing the rear seat and unscrewing the fuel pump lid, inspect, etc. Keep us posted.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM

thanks for the responce,i need to say when i was installing the new used fuel pump (passenger side) it was cantankerous, when i was installing the used fuel pump, one of the plastic hoses broke as i was trying to slide in into the fuel tank. It was the one from the fuel pump moter to the white plastic fitting on the upper section of the pump. i was however able to remove the old plastic hose from the old pump, i spent 45min carefully cutting the inside barbs to both side, Have there been others that have had this issue, i was going to first going to use fuel line hose and use 2 small worm gear clamps, but im certain i was was able to use the plastic hose from the old pump. Those cheap plastic hoses are made to go on not meant to be removed. Im thinking my next step is to remove the fuel pump and make sure eveerything is in tack.. If it is why isnt fuel moving to the filter.. also if my old pump was good after all , is there any other elecrical parts that could stop the fuel from reaching the fuel rail , i do see i thing very close to that sheider valve on the fuel rail.. One final question on the white and red plastic fittings on the top of the fuel pump. i broke the white one , im certain this is the discharge side of the pump. the plastic fuel hose is pushed as far down as it will go , is their any reason that i must have that plastic outer cap? is this maybe my problem . both of those hoses that go into the top of the fuel pump are a pain to pull out , (with sqeezing both buttons on the cap)..

Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Definitley go back in and check the pump. You mentioned you hear the pumps charge up when key is on. Just for the heck of it, go to the trunk and check and/or push the emergency fuel pump cut-off switch.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Definitley go back in and check the pump. You mentioned you hear the pumps charge up when key is on. Just for the heck of it, go to the trunk and check and/or push the emergency fuel pump cut-off switch.
The fuel cut off switch on the 01 S Type in the inertia switch - under the dashboard by the driver's side trim panel - smack the switch to get the button to pop out and a +1 on pulling the pump back out and checking all fuel hoses for kinking, especially the hose you replaced. Also, check all fuel lines going to the fuel pumps - both sides for proper seating...

Old 11-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Update , maybe getting closer.. when i first started this fuel pump swap , i attemped to drop the passenger side fuel tank , i removed both tank straps before i reliezed they were accessed from the top side. grrr the rear of the passenger tank was tried to lower but it would not drop from the rear side but just 6" inches or so.. i would not have thought i would of or could have kinked any lines no further than i had gotten before i figured out my mistake.. As you all know i have proven the pump is actived when the key is turned on.

So tonight i removed the fuel pump to make sure none of the cheap plastic hose had not cracked or slipped off the barbs. and to make sure the pump wasnt running in a circle. Everything was working with NO defects. i even wired the pump on the work bench and it pumped pefectly what fuel was in the fuel cup. THank goodness i put a towel on top of the outlet port.

So next i thought i would try pushing air from the discharge side of the pumped hose , THINKING it would go to the fuel filter. Didnt work.. WHat did happen was the air that i was attemping to push to the fuel filter , SOME hOW some WAY, pushed back from another source back into the fuel tank, basically burping the Full tank of fuel to make it overflow.

My question where do the passenger side fuel tank hoses route to ?? SAme question on the driver side tank. Where does the fuel filter get it fuel supply?? WHERE do the hoses go back and forth to each tank and finally make the path to the fuel filter, i said this a few differnet ways , but im completly baffled , i need some that knows the answer, please help. Your also welcome to call me 812-430-5744, i know its hard to try to explain with words written down. thanks in advance Scott More

Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Scott,

The plastic hoses that disconnect from the pumps feed each other I believe - there are 3/8" rubber fuel hoses on top of the fuel tank that connect from the center top section of the fuel tank and connect to a fuel switch valve.

Look at the link below and look at diagram part #13 and #15 - fuel transducer valve and pressure valve (fuel switch valve) - this might possibly be where your issue might be with... check electrical connections to both - if electrical is good - could be the component(s) may have failed.... Good Luck

2000 JAGUAR S-TYPE Parts - Jaguar Parts Center - Call (800) 510-1401 for Genuine Jaguar Parts and Accessories

Last edited by abonano; 11-12-2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Default need fuel lines routing diagram ?

on a 2001 s type , how are the fuel hoses routed off the fuel pump ? Where does the fuel line go once it leaves the discharge side of the fuel pump. (pass side) my thinking is it would go to the fuel filter, but does it go through fuel transducer valve and or pressure valve (fuel switch valve) ? Do these pieces ever go bad. . When i try and push air off the fuel hose on the discharge side of the fuel pump , it aprears to push itself back into the fuel tank?? If i know the routing of the discharge side of the fuel pump i could find out how its or where it makes its way to the fuel filter?

Listed another way , where does the fuel filter inlet come from ?? is it from the drivers side fuel transfer side ?? or dos it come from something on top of the fuel tank,

Has anyone ever replaced fuel transducer valve and pressure valve (fuel switch valve) ARE they located on top of fuel tank??

When i first tried to lower the fuel tank, is it possible that i could have unpliged something from the top of tank?

Is removing the tank a major big job? looks like yes ? ?

I really need your help , diagnoising this problem ??

Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Relax Scott. Frequently the issue stares you in the face. Don't start taking everything apart.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Default Tranfer pump on fuel tank drivers side

What are the funtions of the transfer ?? jet pump ?? that is located on the driver side of the fuel tank. Is its only funtion to move fuel over to the passernger side??

Im asking cause my thinking is if i have a kinked for blocked restriction (top of tank ??)why fuel cant get from the discharge side of the fuel pump which SHOULD go to the fuel filter and into the fuel rail.

Im thinking that if a reinstaled the fuel pump on the passenger side discharge side , and hooked up a long clear plastic hose all the way to the fuel filter inlet. and if the car started and ran . it would tell me that the problem is somewhere in the original fuel hoses??

Ive already proven the car will start and run a few seconds useing starting fluid sprayed into the throttle body..

Has anyone ever dropped or removed a fuel tank form a 2001 s type ? do you have to remove the rear differential ?

Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I think all but the STR have a transfer pump, which moves fuel side-to-side. As I recall, one fault (which you don't have) is being "empty" after half a tank, thus revealing the way the pumps work.

I think only techs take tanks out...