US Northeast ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NJ, NY, PA

can anyone recommend reliable indy shop in Bergen County NJ

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts
Default can anyone recommend reliable indy shop in Bergen County NJ

no issues on my car just yet, but i want to create a relationship from now just in case

Old 08-28-2016, 07:20 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for starting this thread, carzaddict. I have a good mechanic in my area for general wrenching but need to find someone who has Jaguar specific knowledge and software diagnostics. I've heard that Marotas Motors in Hawthorne, NJ is good as well as Udo's in Tenafly. I plan on stopping by both of them over the next few weeks to get a feel for them.

Please chime in with suggestions, please.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

thanks for your response!

I am new to NJ and my cars have all been under warranty, its always been dealership visits, so unfortunately I dont know a single mechanic. I saw Udo's name when doing a quick google search.

I do know one guy that I can trust...he's a mechanic at a mitsubishi dealership....so his capabilities (in terms of jags) are limited. he can do the basic stuff

can you send me details about your mechanic? I might need some work on basic stuff (window regulator, door lock actuator).

Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 PM

Chris at Autometrix in Midland Park. He has software for MB. Don't know if he has it for Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
abonano (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 07:59 PM

I stopped by Marota's in Hawthorne, NJ. Shop was nice and clean and organized. Mario Marota seemed to be a nice guy. All of the cars in his shop were Jaguars from Series I E-Types to X350 series XJ's. He seemed very knowledgeable and a gentleman.

Will probably have him do any maintenance on my '08 XJ.

abonano (09-05-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member

nice! thanks for the follow up, greatly appreciate it

Old 10-09-2016, 07:51 PM

Follow up on Marota Motors

My son's 2003 M-B E500 with air suspension had the rear sagging in the morning (no rear sagging jokes, please) and then the front left side started to sag. Brought it to Mario and had it for a few days. Found the left front and right rear struts were leaking and needed replacement. He was very knowledgeable about the air suspension (M-B and Jaguar use similar systems made by the same company). He did a great job and the cost was reasonable. The car drives like it did when it was new!

I have to give him 5 stars for professionalism, cost, and my comfort level with him. I'll post again the next time I use him, this time with my XJ.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks John for that. good to hear the car is up and running.

I went to Udo on friday to take a look at my diff but the visit just ended up being a weird experience. he's a nice guy, talks a LOT and jumps from topic to topic...we talked about so many things within the first 5 minutes of me being there, i have no idea how we got from one subject to the next. it took nearly 20 minutes until we started talking about my car!

his mechanic and i went for a drive in the car....he confirms the diff isnt acting right. they recommended changing the diff oil to see if it works. he said its not too bad that i can keep driving on it until it gets worse. his jeep cherokee has been doing the same for 6 years, he drives it every day.

and then he calls his buddy that works at Jag to do a VIN check on the car. i waited around 20 minutes for the guy to call back but he didnt, Udo said to go home and he'll call me if anything comes up.....i havent heard from Udo. So basically nothing got accomplished. i'll give him a call later today to see what happened, but now i gotta go back and get my diff oil replaced, which i was hoping to accomplish on friday!

Old 10-22-2016, 09:38 PM
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr John
Follow up on Marota Motors

My son's 2003 M-B E500 with air suspension had the rear sagging in the morning (no rear sagging jokes, please) and then the front left side started to sag. Brought it to Mario and had it for a few days. Found the left front and right rear struts were leaking and needed replacement. He was very knowledgeable about the air suspension (M-B and Jaguar use similar systems made by the same company). He did a great job and the cost was reasonable. The car drives like it did when it was new!

I have to give him 5 stars for professionalism, cost, and my comfort level with him. I'll post again the next time I use him, this time with my XJ.
Yes, +1 on Mario! Great guy, professional, shop is spotless, and his prices are reasonable, does great work!

I've brought my '03 S Type to him twice so far, both good experiences.

Look no further, he's the Indy to go to in north Jersey!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 AM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

I like that XJS lineup on the google's street picture, will definitely pay a visit to this shop.

Attached Thumbnails can anyone recommend reliable indy shop in Bergen County NJ-marotas.png  
babyjag91 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

For an older Jag [Pre 2007] Motorcraft in Rutherford are real good. They specialize in Jags. https://www.yelp.com/biz/motorcraft-...t-rutherford-2

For a newer Jag [2007 +] http://www.jaguarmorriscounty.com is my preferred choice.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 03-16-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:55 PM

Brought my car to Mario Marota a few weeks ago. It was sitting all night in single digit weather and the front suspension had dropped and didn't raise up after 5 minutes. Parked it in the garage for a few hours and waited until it warmed up and the suspension rose like it should. Mario kept the car all day and looked it over. He didn't see anything but he replaced a relay. Since he wasn't sure if that would resolve the problem, he told me to take the car home and see if it happens again. He didn't charge me anything and told me to watch to see if it happens again. He said he only charges for things that he actually fixes. Nice to find mechanics that you feel comfortable with.

BTW, the suspension problem hasn't returned but it also hasn't been that cold since then.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got my 2010 XF over there now. I have to say, he knows his stuff and the shop is spotless.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone have experience with Motorcraft in East Rutherford? Picking up a 2003 S-Type V8 within the week. Was going to go to Marota, but this place is much closer...

Old 04-14-2017, 08:41 AM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Can't share much. I was there a year(or more) ago, had a nice talk with owner/manager, kinda liked him. He was busy though and had a waiting list (I think only one lift there). I never actually did any work there.

babyjag91 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 03:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

An update on Marota...

I am VERY impressed with Mario. First, I'm in the business (dealer) and also pretty experienced with spinning wrenches.

So the 2010 XF starts whining about TPMS sensors and my mother has been using it and the warning light bothers her and I don't wanna hear about it and I don't own an SDD so off it goes to Mario.

I basically tell Mario that if he thinks it needs new TPMS sensors at $100/ea (something like that, they're not cheap, I don't remember the exact amount he quoted me) plus labor to just do it. Fine, $600? $700? It'll keep mom quiet and happy. Priceless.

But what does Mario do AFTER I authorize the work? He resets and reprograms them, the light is out, all is well.

1 hour of labor is all he charged me.

Guys, he could have done the whole job or charged more I would not have complained. He's good and he's honest.

I'm very happy. VERY happy.