X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 x-type keyfob issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 x-type keyfob issue

Just bought the car 2 days ago. Noticed we had to be pretty deliberate pressing the buttons on the fob to unlock/lock the doors and open the trunk. Last night the fob stopped working completely so I changed the battery (new energizer with matched # from autozone) but the fob doesn't work. I've checked several sites and found programming instructions which I followed but still nothing.
I turn the key between I and II 4 times, hear the "ding" and remove the key but there is no repeat "ding" after pressing a button on the fob... I've read you need to try both with the driver door open and with it closed. One tech site says you need 2 fobs for programming but the car only came with 1. Is this accurate?

Thanks

Old 06-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

It sounds like the switch buttons in the fob have failed. I have some that
I notice a green goo that seems to come out of the switch. When that
happens they generally don't work anymore. I know of no way to clean
them. I think that it is copper corrosion due to it's green color. Probably
resulting from the humidity getting to it over the years.

Pete.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mygirlsjag
Just bought the car 2 days ago. Noticed we had to be pretty deliberate pressing the buttons on the fob to unlock/lock the doors and open the trunk. Last night the fob stopped working completely so I changed the battery (new energizer with matched # from autozone) but the fob doesn't work. I've checked several sites and found programming instructions which I followed but still nothing.
I turn the key between I and II 4 times, hear the "ding" and remove the key but there is no repeat "ding" after pressing a button on the fob... I've read you need to try both with the driver door open and with it closed. One tech site says you need 2 fobs for programming but the car only came with 1. Is this accurate?

Thanks
2 parts to programming an x type key. 1 key required for programming the remote lock/unlock etc.
2 keys required for programming the immobiliser system.
The fob splits into 2 parts. The part with the buttons on is probably u/s. Get another one or get it repaired.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get one from ebay, problem solved. That's what I did works perfect now.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:17 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar remotes :-)
First obvious question is - is the battery in the right way up? If not then instant fix..but otherwise yes have a look on ebay and buy another one or two...
I only say this as the private dealer who sold me my x-type did just that put the battery in upside down and told me it didnt work.. :-)

Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Just an alternative thought...

I recently traded my '05 X-Type 3l auto for an '08 S-Type 4.2l and when I picked the car up at the dealer I received three keys, two of which where switch-blade style. The third one, however, was a good "old fashioned" car key with no fob, just a green plastic head marked Valet.

I'm using that key now since it better fits on a common keyring with house key and "normal" keys for other cars I own. I always used the door lock anyway and everything else seems to work fine with the Valet key.

Didn't realize Jaguar offered such a key, figure it might be cheaper than the switch-blade key since it doesn't have the fob and there is no battery to every replace.

Anybody else have a Valet key for their car?
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

PAB I didn't get a Valet key for either of my Jags.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Valet Key Here...

I, too, purchased a new fob. My "cells" went bad. Got mine from Welsh. Purchased a new one and had my mechanic switch the fobs. The Jag dealer did need the fob to program my valet key. Word of advice if I may: I always have both keys on my person at all times.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I had the same issue with my fob and thought that it was a bigger issue, but I just bought a fob off of ebay for about $20 and programmed it myself and then problem solved! Don't pay more than $40 for a new fob though cause then you are just getting ripped off.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Both fobs didn't work well when I got the x-type. I was able to clean the "green goo" with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. I also found a couple of the microswitches had broken solder points. With a steady hand I was able to solder them into place. Both work fine now.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and advice.... I actually was able to fix the existing fob. The IC chip had come un-soldered on one side. Heated it up and now it works beautifully!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

mygirlsjag, What size battery did you install. Else where in this forum I got the size as a CR 2035. Can't find this size anyplace. Help please! Jack

Old 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I just bought a fob off of ebay for about $20
A small word of warning - The USA fobs operate on a different frequency to the UK versions

The third one, however, was a good "old fashioned" car key with no fob, just a green plastic head marked Valet.
In the UK we do not get valet keys like you do in the USA
I assume the valet key does not work in the dash board box ? ( UK glove box)

One tech site says you need 2 fobs for programming but the car only came with 1
I understand two keys are required to reset the immobiliser or to add further keys to operate the ignition.

Getting a second key and having it programmed could be expensive.

Just bought the car 2 days ago.
If you have Jaguar locking wheel nuts make sure you have the key.
Note the letter on it and save that info in case of future loss of key

Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Found a key fob store near me. Battery was fine (my '07 x-type uses a CR2032) Followed directions from forum and reprogramed fob in 30 seconds. Don't know how fob lost it's program unless it was something dealer did during visit a couple of days ago when this fob was not with the car. Jack

Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 AM

MRomanik, My '03 then '07 x-type, bought new, did not come with a Valet key. My '98 XK8 bought in '06 did come with green Valet key. It would not unlock the glove box or trunk after the valet button was pushed. I've since lost this key but I don't miss it. Jack

The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (07-05-2013)