X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion Piece: Automatic X-Types just not as good as Manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinion Piece: Automatic X-Types just not as good as Manual

I have now owned my 03 2.5 Manual trans Xtype for about a month now. I happened about a week ago to run into ( not literally ) another X-type owner in Publix ( southern grocery store ) parking lot. He owns a very pretty black 05 3.0 automatic. Well anyway we end up talking super nice guy having a few drinks and he like oh you would love the 3.0 engine she has so much pep to her. Long story short he like want to take her out on the interstate see for yourself. After some, I don't knows as I always weary of driving friends cars even more so people I just met a few hours before.

I decide why not get in his Jag and go to turn the engine over and I found myself trying to press in the imaginary clutch lol.
We were right off the interstate so I get on to the on ramp and start to accelerate and get up to highway speeds 75 ish. He was like give her some gas and I did. My problem is she felt very anemic.

We get back to the bar where we had a few drinks and I thanked him. I was being polite and just agreed with whatever he said I did not want to come off as rude. I just did not like it . It felt like a totally different car. I have driven a manual version of my Jeep compass and it feels about the same in terms of where the natural shift points are and how she feels vs my CVT version of the compass. Though in the Jag it felt like night and day was it the engine or the transmission or both. The acceleration just felt very slow I could tell the power was there but just was some how deeply and sadly different in a way I just did not like.

Has any other X-type manual trans owners driven an X-type auto and felt disappointed?

Old 03-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

We have owned two manual shift 2.5 X-Types and one 3.0 automatic. At present we have both the automatic and one of the manuals, both in perfect condition mechanically.
I drive both regularly. My assessment? I MUCH prefer the manual, and while the 3 litre automatic has lots of torque and plenty of power, the manual has a far, far nicer engine note on acceleration, and the power train is quieter in general. I think the automatic transmission ( while very smooth) is the main factor in the quality and strength of the noise.
In addition, the revised clutch assembly that Jaguar designed for the 2004 and later cars is silky smooth and very light. I can shift with one finger (the revised clutch is a direct fit to the 2001-2003 cars - I had it put into both our 2002 manuals, and what a difference!).
I love my 2005 3.0 Estate (Sportwagon) but I would much prefer it to have the manual transmission, unfortunately not available on this model in Canada.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I think this is true for every car. If you love driving the stick is always the way to go, but if you like cruising the auto is perfect. I've recently driven a Boxster with paddle shifters, and while I loved every second of driving it I couldn't help but feel like I missed out on the experience of the 6 speed. Being part of the car is much more important to me than a few tenths of a second. BTW- my Jag is an auto, but my daily is a 5 speed.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Find a 3.0 manual. Then you get the best of both worlds. I remember when I was originally looking for my car I drove a 3.0 automatic and a 3.0 manual and it was like night and day, at least to me. The manual felt much sportier, but like Lemons said, if you prefer a manual that is the only way to go. Up until I got my present car (2012 Mercedes C300 AWD automatic) I pretty much have only owned manual transmission cars. Nothing like being able to control the gear you are in at all times. Although I really like my present car, I still miss driving a stick, but they are getting harder and harder to find.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
I think this is true for every car. If you love driving the stick is always the way to go, but if you like cruising the auto is perfect. I've recently driven a Boxster with paddle shifters, and while I loved every second of driving it I couldn't help but feel like I missed out on the experience of the 6 speed. Being part of the car is much more important to me than a few tenths of a second. BTW- my Jag is an auto, but my daily is a 5 speed.
For me it's a matter of personal taste. I'd driven manuals all my life till I had to drive an automatic (hired by mistake) and loved it so much I plan never to drive a manual again. I would not want a manual S-Type R (my current car) at all.

So, personal taste.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

In general, are there more mechanical power losses in an auto vs a manual trans?

Old 03-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I can't drive a manual anymore, so I'm stuck with the slush box.

That said, software remap and glue the Sport switch on.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:16 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Patterson
In general, are there more mechanical power losses in an auto vs a manual trans?

Much.

Gotta move all that fluid around, and the clutches slip as they grab each other.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member

Well... depends the kind of auto. Newer ones can have essentially no losses compared to a manual.

Driving an expensive modern heavy (but pretty safe) jag... worrying about losses... fuel efficiency... seems a little odd to me. But it really is down to personal choice. (Which is why I don't worry too much about my R. I could have a Prius at maybe the same (used) purchase cost. So I have the STR instead!)

Last edited by JagV8; 03-25-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Auto or manual? It's all personal choices, each have its own pleasure to like, if you like to shift and do a little drag at red light or get ahead of the guy next lane manual is for you, if you like a relax driving and not get busy in city rush hours then auto is should be first choice; I like to drive the manual when I was young, but now I like to relax when I'm on the road.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:37 PM

Here's a possibly annoying question. Which transmission is heavier?

Old 03-26-2017, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Patterson
Here's a possibly annoying question. Which transmission is heavier?
I don't know exactly with the X-Type, but in general and auto has more components and is therefore heavier. However, not enough for it to matter for anything you would do with an X-Type.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
I don't know exactly with the X-Type, but in general and auto has more components and is therefore heavier. However, not enough for it to matter for anything you would do with an X-Type.
What if two X Type owners with 3.0L engines, one manual, one automatic, raced for pink slips?

Old 03-27-2017, 06:50 PM

The one who drives better would win. Yes, a 5 speed is faster all else being equal for every car until maybe the past 5 or so years. Reality is if you want to beat the next guy take professional driving lessons, you'll make huge gains. If you want weight savings, best place to start is drinking less beer.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member

Or take out all the things you don't need, like empty seats.

But really are we doing this to an X-Type...

Old 03-28-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Or take out all the things you don't need, like empty seats.

But really are we doing this to an X-Type...
Yes? A friend of mine let Randy Probst drive his car on track. He immediately dropped 13 seconds off of the teams best lap time. He then got into the car that was leading the race and dropped 5 seconds on the first lap. These are all seasoned drivers, but a pro can step in the same car and immediately squash their best lap times. Cutting weight is great, learning to drive well will beat nearly everyone.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:58 PM

Yes, knowing what you're doing behind the wheel when racing is key. It's not just the car that's racing, the driver is too. I love accelerating in the power band and switching lanes or turning at the same time. That said, street racing is a bad idea. It puts everyone around you at risk.

Old 03-29-2017, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

RIP Riski.......

Old 04-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I too own both auto and manual '03, X-Type 2.5

The manual has much more of a sports car feel and was the first one I bought.

The second an automatic and more of a daily driver is very nice. I must confess that this is the newest auto car I have owned. It is way better then the old 3 speed autos that I have owned in the past. The first two shifts are fast and smooth. It is the best auto I have driven.

But I am a manual man.

I would be interested in the newer year shifter update. Hard to believe it could get better!!

Old 04-02-2017, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry-Cleveland
I too own both auto and manual '03, X-Type 2

I would be interested in the newer year shifter update. Hard to believe it could get better!!
I think you must be referring to the revised clutch pack that I mention in my posting above. I can guarantee that if you have the original early clutch, you will be absolutely amazed at how the shift is transformed. The awkward shift from 1 to 2 was so unpleasant that I used to go from 1 to 3, omitting 2 - and we had two manual shift X-Types, both 2002 models and both were identical in this respect. With the revised clutch gear selection is sweet, light, and one finger-easy. If you send me a message I will give you the part number for the revised clutch.