XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Check engine light came on

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Escolar,

I can't answer your question. Hopefully a tech on this site will be able to address.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

the seal that leaks is on the brake booster pipe where it goes into the supercharger air inlet. Its common only on the 4.2 supercharged XF's so far. So common parts are now backordered and we're seeing about 4 cars a week. I have one in my stall waiting on parts right now. Its nothing more than a deteriorated rubber o ring inside the air inlet tube and very hard to replace the inlet. If dealers dont know theyre not gonna look there because if you follow the bulleting in referances more the super charger to intercooler air ducts. I havent seen any of these leak so far on the SC engines.
The oring is right next to and downstream od the EGR valve inlet to the engine. The heat from the EGR kinds of accelerates the life expectancy of it and they get hard and break apart. Not to mention that even replacing the parts doesnt always seal well and Ive been in the habit now of a couple wraps of teflon tape around the plastic pipe where it goes into the oring to increase sealing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Panthro (10-27-2016), rigodepablo (10-17-2014)
Old 03-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks, Brutal. I'm wondering a few things about this:

How $$ to repair out of warranty?
Is there a pattern of age/mileage for this issue?
How difficult for the home mechanic to tackle?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm new to the forum, my girlfriend's 2009 XF supercharged is throwing the P0174 code along with P010B. Could it be this brake booster seal? Anyone have a DIY on how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

P0174 = Lean condition on Bank 2. It could be a vacuum leak but you'd usually see a lean light for both banks if it's before the intake. A lean condition on only one bank would usually be a leak in the intake gasket on one side. It isn't always the case though so check for leaks everywhere. The issue mentioned above could be the cause.

P010B = Comes up as MAF issues when I search online. Check the air filters. Are they aftermarket? If a K&N filter was used and had way too much oil it can clog up the MAF sensor. Try using some electronics cleaner on the MAF sensors to clean them. If they aren't K&N filters and the filters are very dirty replace them and clean the MAFs.

I'd attack the MAF issue first (P010B) as the MAF issue might cause the P0174.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 04-17-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM

Hey Fellas i just got the p0174 and P0171 codes. my CEL came on then went off by itself like an hour later when i restarted car. the light is still off but i ran the codes and those codes popped up. any idea what the problem may be? Thanks in advance

Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Google the codes. They are lean codes for both banks. You probably have a vacuum leak after the MAF/s but before the intake manifold.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Google the codes. They are lean codes for both banks. You probably have a vacuum leak after the MAF/s but before the intake manifold.
Thanks is that something i could fix on my own?

Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe. Generally you can track down vacuum leaks by starting the car, popping the hood, and listing for the hiss (if it's bad anyway). Otherwise, take the engine cover off and move the intake box/hoses around to look for broken hoses/loose clamps. If it's not obvious you can use a can of carb cleaner to spray possible leak points (all joints/hoses/gasket areas) after the MAF and before the upper intake. If the engine revs when you spray something you found the location of the vacuum leak. Carb cleaner is flammable and eats through paint though so be careful. Google how to find a vacuum leak and read a few different how-to's.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Maybe. Generally you can track down vacuum leaks by starting the car, popping the hood, and listing for the hiss (if it's bad anyway). Otherwise, take the engine cover off and move the intake box/hoses around to look for broken hoses/loose clamps. If it's not obvious you can use a can of carb cleaner to spray possible leak points (all joints/hoses/gasket areas) after the MAF and before the upper intake. If the engine revs when you spray something you found the location of the vacuum leak. Carb cleaner is flammable and eats through paint though so be careful. Google how to find a vacuum leak and read a few different how-to's.
Thanks I looked it up on YouTube I think I'm going to try the cigar way lol

Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Thanks Blackcoog

The obd2 reader had one entry for P0174 and two entries for P010B

This car is ALL new to me, my girlfriend is on vacation and left it at my house to fix her wheels, but I'm finding out a lot more stuff, like the CEL, and I also checked the oil dipstick and it's a MIN! The power steering is at MIN too! Plus a few other things.

She scuffed and scraped all 4 volan wheels when she put chains on! Here are some pics prepping them for paint last night, I've got my hands full for the next few days.

Attached Thumbnails Check engine light came on-photo.jpg   Check engine light came on-photo2.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 10:10 AM

I took one of the air filters yesterday to look at the MAF and it looks fairly clean, the plan is to replace both air filters and clean the MAFs with MAF cleaner.

Is this the infamous brake booster seal that causes air leaks? The car is on jackstands at the moment, once I get it down, I'll spray it with carb cleaner to see if it's causing the codes.

Attached Thumbnails Check engine light came on-enginepic1.jpg   Check engine light came on-enginepic2.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Chains on a Jaguar?

Ouch that would ruin my day I don't like to park near curbs. I thought mud flaps were over kill. She's luck they didn't beat the fenders. Maybe an SUV or crossing country ski's would be better. Go luck with the wheels. They may need professional refinishing and then a set of steel wheels for the chains.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Could it still be under warranty

Is it possible the engine codes could be warranty work?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM

I sprayed the brake booster seal or at least the part I pointed above with the red arrow, but I did't notice a change in idle. I changed the air filters and clean the MAF with MAF cleaner and cleared the Check Engine Light, it was good for about a day, and it's back again! Anyone have suggestions on what could be causing P0174 and P010B on an '09 XF supercharged?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 AM
Default Part number needed

Originally Posted by Brutal
the seal that leaks is on the brake booster pipe where it goes into the supercharger air inlet. Its common only on the 4.2 supercharged XF's so far. So common parts are now backordered and we're seeing about 4 cars a week. I have one in my stall waiting on parts right now. Its nothing more than a deteriorated rubber o ring inside the air inlet tube and very hard to replace the inlet. If dealers dont know theyre not gonna look there because if you follow the bulleting in referances more the super charger to intercooler air ducts. I havent seen any of these leak so far on the SC engines.
The oring is right next to and downstream od the EGR valve inlet to the engine. The heat from the EGR kinds of accelerates the life expectancy of it and they get hard and break apart. Not to mention that even replacing the parts doesnt always seal well and Ive been in the habit now of a couple wraps of teflon tape around the plastic pipe where it goes into the oring to increase sealing.
What is the part number is the hose

Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Default Info parts urgent

Originally Posted by Brutal
My car have broke the plastic clip the red one that go inside the air intlet the where I find the clip and the o ring I have a huge air leak in the hose I not find the part number in any place.